Drum track - guess the song part 2!

Virtual insanity - Jamiroquai

I'm drawing a blank. How many pop/rock songs have brushes?
Bermuda, can you give us a genre as a hint?

I can't access it to compare it right now, but is it West End Girls - Pet Shop Boys?

Brady the woman in your avatar looks like she has helium in her hot pants.

Hmm, that advice changes things ... would it be Toto's Africa? That's the only hit I can think of with that pulse.

But there's cowbell and Jeff uses sticks as well ...

I almost posted that earlier as a guess, but Jeff plays a distinctive tom fill between the verse and chorus that is missing from the above clip.

Well, I need to give a little direction on this, if only to save everyone the agony of trying to figure out which Gadd or Porcaro track it is; it's not either of them. You probably haven't heard of this drummer before.

Bermuda

So think one hit wonder?

No hints, this one's really not too hard.

Fine... ONE hint: focus on those last 3 kick/hat beats.

Bermuda

I still don't know the answer, but it's been fun digging through all the songs I thought it could be that didn't match up upon listening to the full song.

My question is: How are getting these tracks isolated? It seems you'd have to have access to the master tapes.

Also, this is an interesting music lesson.
It seems every few months or so, someone posts a question about how to copyright their drum parts, with some claim of all the time they spent "writing" their drum parts, and/or how to keep someone else from using their parts. And the answer is always, you can't; drum parts are not covered by copyright laws, and if you're coming up with beats and fills to someone else's song, it's not considered "writing" anyway.

Bermuda's "guess the song" series is an excellent example of why. If we had the same length except of the melody or vocal line, most of us would get it right away. But strip away the melody, the harmonies and vocals, down to just drums, and it's no longer an easy to identify piece of music.

Or at least, I thought that was interesting.

Anyway, how ever you do it, I hope you post more of these in the future.

I almost posted that earlier as a guess, but Jeff plays a distinctive tom fill between the verse and chorus that is missing from the above clip.

I figured there was a sticks overdub over the brush part. Interesting that it's not Gadd or Porcaro because who ever it is has class. I know ... it's War Pigs!

Also, this is an interesting music lesson.
It seems every few months or so, someone posts a question about how to copyright their drum parts, with some claim of all the time they spent "writing" their drum parts, and/or how to keep someone else from using their parts. And the answer is always, you can't; drum parts are not covered by copyright laws, and if you're coming up with beats and fills to someone else's song, it's not considered "writing" anyway.

Bermuda's "guess the song" series is an excellent example of why. If we had the same length except of the melody or vocal line, most of us would get it right away. But strip away the melody, the harmonies and vocals, down to just drums, and it's no longer an easy to identify piece of music.

Or at least, I thought that was interesting.

LOL.....I was thinking along a similar angle on the last thread. All the time, effort and creative thought that went into those parts and it's a struggle to even guess what they are. If this doesn't let us know our place in the pecking order, then nothing will.

So, what did I get out of it all? Play for the music. The sum of many parts makes the overall sound. But without the rest, the drums parts alone don't count for much.....as good as they may be.

As for the question at hand......I have absolutely no idea....but thanks for making me think, regardless.

My question is: How are getting these tracks isolated? It seems you'd have to have access to the master tapes.

As I said in my original thread, I have a bunch of stems, and some actual multitrack files.

But strip away the melody, the harmonies and vocals, down to just drums, and it's no longer an easy to identify piece of music.

That's something I talk about in my clinic, basically, how the drums don't always define the style. It's more in the context of playing a funky song. Does that mean playing a funky drum part? Usually, no. It means playing a solid groove while the bass, horns, keys, and guitars work arolund the drums and define the funk.

I then demonstrate by playing a beat, and asking if anyone can tell me what genre it is. They can't, because a single, simple beat can be so many genres: country, pop, rock, metal, rap, R&B, funk, etc.

But... back to the guessing.

And no, it's not Fataar... we've all heard of him!

Bermuda

So think one hit wonder?

If I tell you, it's only going to make it harder.

Which, I think I'd enjoy!

The artist/band has had many hits!

There - be careful what you wish for! :)

Bermuda

If I tell you, it's only going to make it harder.

Which, I think I'd enjoy!

The artist/band has had many hits!

There - be careful what you wish for! :)

Bermuda

Hahaha....fair enough.

I've amassed quite a list of songs it is not.

Although I amused how close it is to Dire Straits - Skateaway
Slightly different tempo and different tuning on the on the snare drum though.

"You probably haven't heard of this drummer"...............

Not Mick Fleetwood.....

Think BAND! I am thinking like Tom Petty & the HB....but no....

Someone more recent.....

I am.........apparently........."not hip"...

"Sigh"........

Back