the Tama, Ddrum, or Gretsch.

ShaysRebellion

I found a Tama Hyper drive for $699.99

I found a Gretsch Catalina Club mod for $499.99

I found a Ddrum dominion Maple player for $699.99

Thank you everyone for the tips on wood, and stuff like that.
Its down to these 3. Please send any comments about any of these kits, it would help if anyone who owns these kits could give me personal insight.

Thanks guys!
Ray

You really need to play them. We all can tell you what we would do but in the end it is your ears that need to make the decision.

I'd say go for the tama. Is a superstar or a superstar custom and how many pieces is it?

You really need to play them. We all can tell you what we would do but in the end it is your ears that need to make the decision.

You're right. I'm just a little nervous on making the right choice for the set. cause its a good bit of money.

A couple of other drummers and I were fooling with a Superstar Hyperdrive today, and the short depth of the toms really limited its volume and projection. If mic'ed, I'm sure they'll be fine. Also, because of the sheer lack of wood with small, shallow toms, it was near impossible to get a nice low tuning without rattling the heads. If you want bright quick tones ONLY, then you'll be fine there, too. The set looked great, although I prefer split lugs, and the quality seemed in order. Just limitations of the set you should know about when it comes to tuning.

1. the attack the birch shells and short toms deliver
2. the floor toms are still big enough to give that big tom sound
3. once i put pinstripes on them i have no problem tuning them down low and they still sound really good
4. the hardware and finish options are absolutely beautiful
5. the short tom length gives you more options to where you want to put them
6. the 22x20 extra deep bass drum sound HUGE
7. its a 1100-1300 dollar kit and the fact that you found one for 700 is amazing
8. tama is just generally a really respectable line that i have never had any problems with EVER
9. i own it so of course i have a natural bias :p

1. the attack the birch shells and short toms deliver
2. the floor toms are still big enough to give that big tom sound
3. once i put pinstripes on them i have no problem tuning them down low and they still sound really good
4. the hardware and finish options are absolutely beautiful
5. the short tom length gives you more options to where you want to put them
6. the 22x20 extra deep bass drum sound HUGE
7. its a 1100-1300 dollar kit and the fact that you found one for 700 is amazing
8. tama is just generally a really respectable line that i have never had any problems with EVER
9. i own it so of course i have a natural bias :p

Ok, thanks you. That helps.

i was right where you're at just a couple months ago, i feel your pain, the final decision is a tough one!
but a couple of things that might help...
first - play each kit, even if it means a day trip or two to do so, you will play this kit for years, so it has to sound good to your ears alone.
second - really get a feel for the hardware, every manufacturer is a little different and some are better than others, how do the toms move?, play with hat stand, are the boom stands sturdy and easily adjusted?, and etc. but you get the idea!
third - take a few pictures of each kit if at all possible, which do you like the overall look of most?, which manufacturer has the best finishes?, which kit looks best to you?...
in the end, patience is the road to satisfaction.
good hunting!

i was right where you're at just a couple months ago, i feel your pain, the final decision is a tough one!
but a couple of things that might help...
first - play each kit, even if it means a day trip or two to do so, you will play this kit for years, so it has to sound good to your ears alone.
second - really get a feel for the hardware, every manufacturer is a little different and some are better than others, how do the toms move?, play with hat stand, are the boom stands sturdy and easily adjusted?, and etc. but you get the idea!
third - take a few pictures of each kit if at all possible, which do you like the overall look of most?, which manufacturer has the best finishes?, which kit looks best to you?...
in the end, patience is the road to satisfaction.
good hunting!

Thank you, i definetly need to find a place that carries these kits. Thanks for the advice.

It also depends on the kind of music you play. But I agree that a Tama Superstar is a great kit. But if it's wrapped, leave it. The toms wont have much sustain because of their small depth, and wrapping them will make things worse.

However, it's a win-win situation. All the kits you mentioned are great kits, and you won't regret buying either one of them more than you would regret buying the other. In my experience, there's always a better kit around and there will always be a gnawing feeling telling you you should have considered another kit. Don't let that trick you - you will feel that way no matter what kit you buy.

IIRC, the Gretsch don't have maple or birch wood, and in my limited experience with those three kits in the store, I was much more drawn to Ddrum and Tama. I love the sizes of the Hyperdrives, and I really like the looks of the Ddrums. Not that the Gretsch's don't look cool too, but I think the other 2 are a step above.

I ended up going with a Gretsch Renown Kit that was on sale, because my wife bought it for me as a christmas gift, and she encouraged me to pick something that I'd be happy with for a long time (as well as something at looked nice in the living room). I'm still kinda sad I didn't get a short-stack kit of some kind, because I'm always battling with tom placement.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop!

IIRC, the Gretsch don't have maple or birch wood, and in my limited experience with those three kits in the store, I was much more drawn to Ddrum and Tama. I love the sizes of the Hyperdrives, and I really like the looks of the Ddrums. Not that the Gretsch's don't look cool too, but I think the other 2 are a step above.

I ended up going with a Gretsch Renown Kit that was on sale, because my wife bought it for me as a christmas gift, and she encouraged me to pick something that I'd be happy with for a long time (as well as something at looked nice in the living room). I'm still kinda sad I didn't get a short-stack kit of some kind, because I'm always battling with tom placement.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop!

Hey, thanks! Yeah i'll keep you guys posted. No problem.

I rekon you don't get the cheapest of the 3 because it is easier to upgrade the cymbals and heads in the future than to get a whole new kit. I would get the Superstar Hyperdrive personally as I used to own a Superstar myself and they are very good. My new kit has short-stack toms also and I can say they are very nice, although a bit harder to tune.

I rekon you don't get the cheapest of the 3 because it is easier to upgrade the cymbals and heads in the future than to get a whole new kit. I would get the Superstar Hyperdrive personally as I used to own a Superstar myself and they are very good. My new kit has short-stack toms also and I can say they are very nice, although a bit harder to tune.

I would prefer him to go with TAMA.
But if he doesn't have good heads or cymbals, i think something else may be of best interest.

Back