DW 5000 Hi-Hat Stand – 2 Legs vs 3 Legs

johnbarnesiii

I don't play double bass so was thinking about the 3-leg version of the DW 5000 hi-hat stand. Is it sturdier than the 2-leg version? If its not sturdier then I may consider the 2-leg anyhow just to save some floor space. Suggestions?

I have the top of the line Tama two legged version, and love it. Just one less leg to get in the way. You can rotate the feet, and you can tilt the whole thing forward. Very stable. I highly recommend it. If you go to a double bass, or a double bass pedal in the future you will be ready. :)

I've never owned a 2-legger, but I've played on more than one (shared kits, etc). My experience is that they're not as stable as a 3 leg stand. But I play with my whole left leg playing eighths or quarters so maybe that's it, I don't know. But I wouldn't buy one because of it. Just depends on how you play. Best to find one you can borrow or rent and see for yourself.

I've never owned a 2-legger, but I've played on more than one (shared kits, etc). My experience is that they're not as stable as a 3 leg stand. But I play with my whole left leg playing eighths or quarters so maybe that's it, I don't know. But I wouldn't buy one because of it. Just depends on how you play. Best to find one you can borrow or rent and see for yourself.
They were probably cheap ones. :)

I own the three legged version of the DW 5000 stand plus a bunch of other three and two legged stands including the Tama Lever Glide (HH905) and in my experience, there is no two legged stand as stable as a good quality three legged hi hat stand.

Dennis

I own the three legged version of the DW 5000 stand plus a bunch of other three and two legged stands including the Tama Lever Glide (HH905) and in my experience, there is no two legged stand as stable as a good quality three legged hi hat stand.

Dennis
Thanks for the product code. I will have to remember that. :)

I've played a DW5500TD, which is their Heavy Duty 2-legged stand, for the past 8 or so years. It's a great piece of gear and really holds up, very sturdy. However, just this week I went to hang a 12" tom off it and was wishing I had a 3-legged stand. I made it work by rotating the legs, but it's still not ideal.

I use a Pearl two legger. Mine is pretty sturdy and hardly moves at all on a hard surface. It's when i put it on a rug or something that it starts dancing around.

there is no two legged stand as stable as a good quality three legged hi hat stand.

Dennis
I'd agree with that, & I have two different series of Yamaha 9000 two leg hihat stands. I find that a two leg stand is just as stable on a hard surface, but as soon as you use them on anything with a degree of give in it (i.e. a very thick rug, a bouncy riser, etc) you can have some movement if you're a whole leg sort of player.

I don't play double bass so was thinking about the 3-leg version of the DW 5000 hi-hat stand. Is it sturdier than the 2-leg version? If its not sturdier then I may consider the 2-leg anyhow just to save some floor space. Suggestions?

I have the three legged DW 5000 and it is rock solid. Never played the two legged version.

I don't play double bass either, but I use one or sometimes two foot percussion pedals. I have a DW5000 stand but I removed both legs and clamped it a cymbal stand Dwhich is also missinf a leg). This not quite as stable as a three-legged stand but it is still very stable and instead of hihat needing three or four points of contact, it has one. These leaves a lot of room for percusion foot pedals.

I don't play double bass either, but I use one or sometimes two foot percussion pedals. I have a DW5000 stand but I removed both legs and clamped it a cymbal stand Dwhich is also missinf a leg). This not quite as stable as a three-legged stand but it is still very stable and instead of hihat needing three or four points of contact, it has one. These leaves a lot of room for percusion foot pedals.
I do something similar so I took all the legs off of mine. My Tama hi-hat pedal is clamped to my drum rack so it is more stable than a three legged pedal. I just don't see why you would want to limit yourself with a three legged pedal when the two legged pedal is way more versatile. If you are moving a two legged pedal around the floor then you must be doing something pretty crazy with it. :)

The ironic bit is that DW 3-leg hi-hats have a swivel feature that allows the legs to be rotated out of the way for double bass pedals. Personally, I avoid all of this by using a 9503LB cable remote with easily detachable stubby legs. I can pretty much make that thing do anything, no matter what happens to live next door to it.

The ironic bit is that DW 3-leg hi-hats have a swivel feature that allows the legs to be rotated out of the way for double bass pedals. Personally, I avoid all of this by using a 9503LB cable remote with easily detachable stubby legs. I can pretty much make that thing do anything, no matter what happens to live next door to it.

My Pearl high hat stand has the same feature and I can easily rotate them at home when messing around with my double pedal.
I converted the high hat stand that came with my used Pearl Export kit to do the same thing.

Never played a two leg high hat.

I run both the DW 9000 and the DW 5000 2 leggers. I've got them both on carpets (not shag) and both are pretty solid. The height on the legs are positioned just right, in regards to the pedal base, so almost like 3 legs. Came in handy when I added the double pedal...

I bought and then returned a PDP 2-legged stand. It was solid enough on a hard floor, but on carpeting or a drum rug it wobbled so much I was afraid to use it.

I went from a Yamaha 3-leg to a PDP 2-leg. On uneven ground or carpet it was less stable than I liked, so I use an ancient piece of gear that resembles an old-timey conga bridge to secure it to another stand. This solves most of the issues with this stand. I really like the positioning freedom of two legs, but had I my druthers, I would probably get another 3-leg stand.

Attachments

• hatbrace.jpg
    hatbrace.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 7,970
Back