Help me choose sizes for my SQ2!

AveyTare

Hello :)

I've been thinking about getting a new kit for a while and I'm pretty sure I'm ordering a Sonor SQ2 kit :)

I'm playing a bit of a jazzy stuff and some weird alt-rock. Don't need to have super-piercing drums cutting through a mix - they just have to sound good.

So here's where I need your help - I'm pretty sure I want a 12/14/20 kit with Vintage Beech shells, but I have no idea how deep I want them to be.

The floor tom would be probably a 14/14 - shallower toms seem to look kinda odd to me. Do you think 14/12 size is a better idea? I've never had a shallower one and none of music shops near have one, so I can't decide by myself.

The rack tom would be either a 12/10 or 12/8 - I like the way 12/10 looks, but I'm not sure if it's not too deep. I tune my toms fairly low.

The bass drum would be either a 20/16 or 20/18 - I have a 20/18 Tama Starclassic Performer B/B kick right now and like it a lot, but it's a bit overpowering in jazz playing. Do you think with thinner shells it won't be a problem?

Maybe an in-between 12/9, 14/13, 20/17 kit is a good idea?

I'd really appreciate your help :)

Good choice!!!! Sonors are really great!

Benny Greb plays a SQ in Vintage beech.

I would go for
20x16 bass
12x9 tom
14x14 floortom.

what finish you gonna choose.

my choice:

12x9
14x12
20x18

these are deep sizes but not square sizes , in my personal experience square sizes are harder to tune and they don't have a clear note.

Love my SQ2's...

Id suggest 22 x 18/12 x 10 and 14 x 14. I have 2 'square' drums 14x14 and 16x16. Absolutely NO problem tuning them.

F

Good choice!!!! Sonors are really great!

Benny Greb plays a SQ in Vintage beech.

I would go for
20x16 bass
12x9 tom
14x14 floortom.

what finish you gonna choose.

I love Benny Greb and those are the EXACT sizes I was thinking about lately :)

The problem is - SQ2 are fantastic, but do you think it's worth paying two times the cost of S Classix in similar sizes and the same finish?

Back