Miscellaneous Esoterica

Thought I should share the kit I'm currently playing. I have three kits (including one electric set) and several bare shells that are around that need work. Every few months I tend to swap around between a configuration like the one below to a more 'conventional' four piece with a 22" kick drum. This is actually a hybridised version of two of the kits, with the bass drum from one and the toms from another. I'm happy to play on almost any drums provided that my snare and my cymbals are the same - really beyond that I'm quite flexible within reason.

This configuration is currently:

14" x 5" Guru Oak Steambent snare. Just fantastic. No other words.
16" 1980s Pearl Export floor tom converted into a bass drum. (Swapped the spurs and have a riser).
14" Tamburo Ash 422AM 6-Ply Floor Tom (another conversion, was originally a floating floor).
10" Tamburo Ash 422AM 6-Ply Rack Tom.

14" Murat Diril 'Black Sea' hi hats.
20" Istanbul 'Traditional Jazz' ride.
20" Dream 'Bliss' ride (a new addition)
20" Paiste Signature 'Dark Dry' ride. (Mark I, apparently)

The hardware is an assortment, including a light Mapex hi hat stand, a low-end Yamaha strap-drive pedal (that I absolutely love and use in lieu of my DW5000) and a Danmar bass-drum mounted cymbal stand. I'm not afraid to get the drill out and that has been a fantastic decision that I have since followed on my 22" bass drum. Bass-drum mounted cymbal stands are just a great idea.

The heads vary but they're all Remo at the moment. I like the way Remos sound. Evans are probably more durable but I tend to think they lack something that the Remos have, even though they're very good in their own right.

Any questions are welcome.

Attachments

• Drum Set.jpg
    Drum Set.jpg
    902.3 KB · Views: 417
A touch of stain on the bass drum & you'd never question the family feel of your set :) I bet the Murat Dirils sound very tasty with the lambswool beater bass drum = nice vibe. Be honest now, you've been wailing on that rack tom head haven't you ;)

The bass drum is stained but I didn't do a very good job of it. I'm tempted to rewrap the Export set that it is part of but I just don't have the time or patience to do it at the moment. I was thinking a blue sparkle but wrap isn't too easy to find or particularly cheap, either. Excuses in abundance there.

As for the rack tom head, yes. It's probably had its day. It does sound really good though, even though it's obviously beaten and old (probably pushing four years now). I'm not sure why but that tom likes older heads. That's first on the list for a replacement!

Although everything is a complete hodgepodge, it does all fit together. My new Dream ride is a trash-fest but the fundamental notes of the ride cymbals together actually make for an interesting chord, which by pure coincidence make up the first three notes of one of my favourite pieces of music - 'Oraison' by Olivier Messiaen (he reworked it for quartet later):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRJmJzWibzA

Odd how these things happen.

yo. interesting setup.

i have an agop 20 inch ride. i think it might be the same one? i'd love to see some vids of you playing your kit. it looks nice :)

yo. interesting setup.

i have an agop 20 inch ride. i think it might be the same one? i'd love to see some vids of you playing your kit. it looks nice :)

When I have some spare time, I'll put something together. I'm training to be a teacher at the moment and 'free time' is a luxury that is deeply limited!

The Agop is a 20" 'Traditional Jazz' Ride. Mine has a rivet, with space for a second rivet - but I installed those myself. I bought mine in late 2004 if I recall.

We do have something in common. We both like Remo!!! Yaaaa!!!. Oh ya, we both like Apple also. Cool kit you put together. I will have to give one of those cymbals a tinkle. They have a very different look. I hope you had to pay for that snare! It is a beauty! :) What is the snare made of?

Thank you, Glen.

The snare is a steambent oak shell with reinforcement rings. I'm not sure of the exact thickness of the shell (I haven't directly measured it) but it's something like 3/8ths to half an inch, with the re-rings adding the same again. It also has 2.3mm triple-flanged hoops.

It's very hard to describe. The bearing edges are not typically 'sharp' and have some roundness which helps to balance out the brightness of a solid oak drum. I found it responds best with a medium tuning, with a Remo 'Vintage A' head (hard to find) and an Evans Hazy 200 resonant (that I had spare). It's a very full-sounding drum with great sensitivity and a beautiful rimshot. It's a very versatile instrument and have no doubt that it could cover orchestral duties as well (if I ever played in such an ensemble) and multiple genres.

It's by far the best drum I've ever owned. Truly inheritance-grade.

Thank you, Glen.

The snare is a steambent oak shell with reinforcement rings. I'm not sure of the exact thickness of the shell (I haven't directly measured it) but it's something like 3/8ths to half an inch, with the re-rings adding the same again. It also has 2.3mm triple-flanged hoops.

It's very hard to describe. The bearing edges are not typically 'sharp' and have some roundness which helps to balance out the brightness of a solid oak drum. I found it responds best with a medium tuning, with a Remo 'Vintage A' head (hard to find) and an Evans Hazy 200 resonant (that I had spare). It's a very full-sounding drum with great sensitivity and a beautiful rimshot. It's a very versatile instrument and have no doubt that it could cover orchestral duties as well (if I ever played in such an ensemble) and multiple genres.

It's by far the best drum I've ever owned. Truly inheritance-grade.

Well maybe one day we will both have a whole kit of the Guru's! :)

Just adding up some audio. I did this in about five minutes.

This is raw, with no EQ or any post-production save a little bit of level balancing. No reverb, no compression - just straight capture from two overheads and a bass drum.

I'm really pleased with how well the Dream Bliss recorded. Naturally I'm sorry about the ropey playing.

EDIT: The bass is mixed too high. Never mind. Take it for what it is.

Attachments

• Example.mp3
    661.6 KB · Views: 126
Drums sound real good. Like that ride! Bass drum sounds nice and open. Good job Duncan!

Back