Cheap Drum Kits - Post Pics!

VladTheLad

For the whole 6 years I've been playing, I've only ever played on cheap, 'beginner' kits.
I think it would be great if we can start a thread where there's people posting pics of their Cheap Kits, I'm not the only one!!

So far I haven't seen anyone in this forum with a Cheap Kit, but I HAVE heard of about 3 who own And play them.

Let's get some pictures posted people!!

Here's my 'Speedfire' Kit. I got the Shells, Hardware and Skins for £50. I got the B8's in a pack for £80, and the AAX O-Zone for around £240 (Christmas Present - I thought getting it from America would be cheaper, as it said $160, then there was Shipping, and then an unheard of, 'Customs Tax', when it got to my door -_-)

But that's just describing my kit... By 'Cheap Kit' I mean the kit itself. The Cymbals don't count, unless you got them with it! ;)
Neither does the Pedal either, I got my Jr Cobras second hand (in Amazing Condition) for £99! :)

Attachments

• c8a5dd12.jpg
    c8a5dd12.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 2,488
  • fce0e5bb.jpg
    fce0e5bb.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 2,557
  • f9406d8b.jpg
    f9406d8b.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 2,553
haha! great idea! Gotta love that yellow! Hey we all start somewhere yeah?

I think I may get the trophy for this one :)

My first kit is sentimental, my wife bought it from friend to surprise me as a late bday gift. This was last November. Little did she know what she was getting herself into :)
So in a little over 1 year I've gone through 3 kits and still have 2 of them, this one and my Sonor 3007

ProBeat Rock Kit, I believe they mostly make marching band stuff now.

12T, 13T, 14SN, 16 FT, 22BD
Sabian Solar 13" hats, 16" crash 8" B8 Splash.

My son bangs on it now, the Bass drum sounds pretty good I must say. I've often thought of micing it up to see if I can make a cheap kit sounds decent.

This pic was when I first set it up, still had to adjust it.

Attachments

• PBkit.jpg
    PBkit.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 2,512
That mess makes me sad, and I'm not even talking 'bout the drums... :(

And there's always custom taxes when you order from America to Europe, unless it's sent as a gift.

That mess makes me sad, and I'm not even talking 'bout the drums... :(

And there's always custom taxes when you order from America to Europe, unless it's sent as a gift.

Sorry about that, ignore the mess!! I know it's bad, but it's the spare room and I had loads-upon-loads of stuff in there, so I just kinda cleared it to the side to make space for my band >.< I'm gonna go through it all when I have time, possibly through the week, and bin most of it and try and find space around the house for it all...

And I've never ordered anything from abroad, so I didn't know about it :/ ended up paying around £100 more than I expected to pay though, which sucks.. I'll probably stick to eBay from now on haha

Nice one Tyger!
Yeah, I do like the yellow, although.. I would prefer it if it had black hardware, I don't like that chrome very much :/
I was in the middle of switching the hoops off my old kit (which had black hardware) and after I eventually put new bass heads on, and the rims, I realised after I took the Tom rims off that the black ones only had 5 Lug Holes... The Yellow/Chrome ones were 6 :( I was gutted haha, I should've checked..
As you can see in the pictures, I've still got the Red/Black Bass Rims on, I'm gonna have to change back to my Red Kit, I like that one more, it's got a deeper bass drum too haha.. I haven't played that one with the Ebony Pinstripes and the EQ4 Bass Batter on yet

Sorry about that, ignore the mess!! I know it's bad, but it's the spare room and I had loads-upon-loads of stuff in there, so I just kinda cleared it to the side to make space for my band >.< I'm gonna go through it all when I have time, possibly through the week, and bin most of it and try and find space around the house for it all...

And I've never ordered anything from abroad, so I didn't know about it :/ ended up paying around £100 more than I expected to pay though, which sucks.. I'll probably stick to eBay from now on haha

Hehe, it's cool. Guess I'm a little too "clean" sometimes.
I'm sorry it costed you that much. Try order from Tony at Cymbalsonly next time, he'll definitely help you! :)

Here's mine.
1 Pearl Rhythm traveler. (sold recently) Paid $400 USD new.
2 Tama Stagestar. I love this kit Paid $200 for shells used.
3 Sonor Safari. Also love this kit. Paid $340 for shells new.

Attachments

• 0903011352.jpg
    0903011352.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,632
  • 0910001747.jpg
    0910001747.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2,327
  • IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 2,338
Here's my kit, a GP which I got for free from a friend of my boyfriend who graciously offered it when hearing I was going to start lessons. The boyfriend just had to drive from Cincinnati to Atlanta to pick it up.

We replaced the heads on the rack toms but that's it. I've since gotten a new throne and cymbals but that's it.

I love my cheap kit!

Attachments

• 6764f7b0.jpg
    6764f7b0.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 2,319
Most cheap kits shown here so far (except for the Sonor Safari) use thin steel snares. Is there any correlation between steel snare and price? Is it cheaper than wood snare?

I know for a fact that Mary's snare ain't no "cheap, thin steel snare" ... That's a Tama Imperialstar with die cast rims.​

Most cheap kits shown here so far (except for the Sonor Safari) use thin steel snares. Is there any correlation between steel snare and price? Is it cheaper than wood snare?

I should qualify that the snare pictured with my cheap set, while also free to me by the graciousness of another treasured benefactor, is not anything I consider cheap. Quite the wonderful Tama imperial star. Must say, I'm quite the lucky girl to have such wonderful people supporting my habit :)

I know for a fact that Mary's snare ain't no "cheap, thin steel snare" ... That's a Tama Imperialstar with die cast rims.​

Hehe, Harry... I was just correcting that! Didnt want anyone making that mistake.

Here's my PDP. I love this kit! I gig all over town with it. I had the opportunity to get a higher end kit not to long ago, but I stuck with this one.

Attachments

• DSC00168.JPG
    DSC00168.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,479
  • DSC00169.JPG
    DSC00169.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 2,259
Here's a Rockwood by Hohner Kit that I got for around $400. Added a ddrum tom on it, and got some cymbals! With new heads, the kit sounds pro, but sucked when i first got it.

20" Sabian Xs20 Medium ride
16" A Custom Projection Crash
18" Vintage A Zildjian Crash w/ rivets
14: ZBT Rock Hats

10, 12, 13, 16 toms and 22 x 14 kick. Aquarian and Remo heads, Mapex double kick

Attachments

• drums.JPG
    drums.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 2,096
So far I haven't seen anyone in this forum with a Cheap Kit, but I HAVE heard of about 3 who own And play them.

Well, you`ve certainly missed me. I`ve been around for a while and i have a cheap kit, but i wouldn`t trade it for anything! Here are the specs:

Drums

Millenium MX-222 Black

8"x7" Tom Tom
10"9" Tom Tom
12"x10" Tom Tom
13"x11"Tom Tom
14"x5,5" Steel Snare
16"x16" Floor Tom
22"x16" Bass drum

Cymbals

16" Paiste PST3 Crash (bought used and cracked)
14" Paiste 2002 Medium Hi-Hats (bought used, fantastic hats, made in `82)
14" Millenium HL3 Hi-hats (not in use, but they sound really good for brass hats!)

I don`t count here the cymbals that came with the kit and the one i have borrowed from my ex-guitarist. My configuration also included a Sabian B8 20" Ride, a 16" Thin Crash and 14" Hi-Hats i used as x-hats. The cymbals I got with the kit were a hi-hat and a 16" Crash, both were very thin and the crash got cracked in about 5 places at a concert where i lent it to another drummer. :(

Hardware is a mixture of Millenium hardware that came with the kit and some others i`ve bought.

Here`s a pic, if you want more you can go to the topic in my signature.

dsc0425y.jpg

I bought the kit (5 piece, with hardware, pedal and throne) for 220 Euros. With all the add-ons (toms,hardware, heads, double pedal, cymbals, snare and pedal case) I have reached an expense close to 600 Euros. I`d say they are money well spent. I love my drums as they are, and they have a killer sound. Hope you like them! :)

Black "faux Gretsch' kit cost me only $100 (a CB700 'virgin' bass drum, Astro toms). Sounded OK.
Second kit is vintage, but were orphaned drums adding up to only $300..and sound awesome.
blackkit3.jpg

slingy2011a.jpg

Custom Classic Pro Hybrid Birch. Six pieces, hi hat, two cymbal stands, snare stand and bass pedal for $499 new. Bought it for a practice kit and because I wanted some "hyper sized" toms but have used it at some small gigs and honestly really like it.

SANY6374.jpg

SANY5036.jpg

Back