Tell me if this is a stupid idea

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Oh queso last night I dropped a stick, and a friend of mine who was subbing on bass said, "Yo Ace you need to duct tape those things to your hands..."

Which got me thinking. A little rubber band for each finger. Or as many fingers as you want. You slip the sticks through up to four little rubber bands. You aren't stretching them while playing, they just keep the sticks on your fingers without your thumb. Could be useful for a show where you don't want to drop a stick.

Stupid, right?

Not much. I can go 10 gigs without dropping a stick. But it happens. Usually I catch it before it's out of reach, but despite my best efforts, this one got away from me.

But for some people that may have greasy grubby gammy butter hands....it could be helpful...

:)

It's a stupid idea.

An old drummer friend of mine has lost his grip. He uses these.

drummers-leash-grip2.jpg

I tried them. They don't work for me because I constantly move the stick around in my hand. I suspect you do too and you will discover this if you try something like this.

For the last two years I have been using these dipped (coated) sticks. I have not dropped a stick since I started using them. They are wonderful !
(Except you need to have an uncoated stick available for cross sticking.)

DV016_Jpg_Large_H73775.001.001_5A_nylon.jpg

Wow Jim I never saw that before. Nothing new under the sun, right? It looks like it would be a good solution for anyone who needs it.

I move the stick in my hand also so both ideas above would be a no no. Also, If you dropped a stick, with the above system, it would be hanging from a finger in an odd position that would require both hands to get it back under control.

If I drop a stick, its gone, on the floor, so I pick another from my holder and carry on. No problem.

Yea I am constantly adjusting the stick, so it's really not a workable idea. Mike, you forgot to say it's a stupid idea though :)

Essentially the concept of the Lento Percussion's Triplet Drum Glove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbel6-DpIzE

Although I tired them when I threw out my shoulder, and for me, the stick slipped out too easily. Which is a shame, as Greg Bisonette told me they worked wonders for him when he dislocated his thumb and had tour dates he was obligated too.

Yeah I drop a stick every once in a while. No big deal.
I used to drop sticks a lot when I was younger…actually would practice playing with one stick for this reason. It's a real test to your independence and balance ; it's hard to not have the feel go straight to hell when you suddenly lose a stick, a very sudden lopsidedness.

Neal

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/the-duallist-gig-grips-drumstick-grips

Larry I bought a set of these when my arthritis was acting up, and although they work, they will reinforce bad habits. You can almost let go of the sticks because they are wrapped around your finger. I now have them hanging on my snare lugs to keep them from bumping my tom and scarring it. I would just put a stick under my thigh and play on.

I like the idea of having them "fixed" in your hand but I can't help think it'd be a nightmare if you break a stick and can't get rid of it to grab another

My first thought with rubber bands was loss of circulation to the fingers. Maybe not.

DED, don't know how GB used those gloves - they looked too slippery for my liking.

I find a lot of it comes down to hand dryness and stickiness, as well as the surface of the sticks. If there's low humidity, my hands are dry and the surface of the stick is slippery it's almost certain that at some stage I'll drop a stick.

When I drop a stick it's a cue to bring out the moisturiser. I offer this tip to other women on the forum and to men who aren't insecure ;)

Every once in a while my shoelace comes undone. When it does, I'm more inclined to just tie it up again rather than replace the laces with velcro. I feel the same way about the odd errant stick.

I tried them. They don't work for me because I constantly move the stick around in my hand.

Agreed on that, and the same reason the Lento glove didn't work for me.

Also, when your stick is 'married' to your hand (no pun intended) it hampers your ability to 1) grab a drink, 2) make changes on a trigger pad or laptop without probably hitting something nearby, and 3) quickly changing sticks if one breaks.

I use tape* on some fingers primarily to prevent blisters, but it also gives me a good grip. I can't recall the last time a stick just slipped out of my hand.

Bermuda

* 3M's Nexcare Absolute Waterproof Tape is excellent!

Pic before the gig, and after 2 hours of hard playing & sweating - waterproof indeed! I don't even have to wrap the tape around my fingers, it just sticks where I want it and stays there.

nexcare.jpg

I discovered that stick diameter as a role to play here as well. I used to drop my Vicfirth Metal N's like crazy since they're such a heavy stick. Once I switched to Extreme 5B's the stick dropping has decreased significantly.

NOT a stupid idea for those counting votes...

I am surprised no one has mentioned stick wax:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/zildjian-drumstick-wax

I am new in the journey so I had never heard of stick wax until last week when I was discussing my stick dropping/throwing problems with a drummer buddy of mine. When I lose a stick it usually flies like a bar dart - I have hit a bass player in the back (by accident I swear) and my 11 year old NIECE in the forehead! Also by accident. I am not sure how the wax will work with a constantly moving stick - I have a "dynamic fulcrum" as well. But I am curious to test the stuff....

EDIT: While reading reviews for the Zildjian Stick Wax I also learned that it comes in lovely fragrances so it can double for deodorant or perfume! I am sold.

JM

Back