A couple new toys

tizzdizz

Hey guys, got a new camera and some cymbals so I thought I'd post some new pictures of my kit. Gretsch Renown Maple, 8,10,12,14,22 with a 7x14 Yamaha Brass Nouveau Snare.

I picked up a 6" Sabian AAX splash and an 8" Paiste accent cymbal (sounds like a mix between a splash and a zilbel). I also picked up a set of Remo Vintage A heads for the toms, but haven't put them on yet.

I made a splash holder too, out of some scrap 1x1 square tubing I had, and some all-thread. You can see it in the first picture. I just tightened it down on the cymbal stand without any felts. I was gonna paint it, but then just decided to clear-coat the raw metal. I haven't decided if I want to trim the extra all-thread on the bottom, or somehow make it useful and hang some stuff off the bottom too. Anyway, on to the pictures.

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

Very nice. Nice photos, nice drums, (see signature) and as a do-it-yourselfer, nice idea on the splash holder. What is holding the two splash arms secure to the piece you made??

I a beginning to despise all of you Renown owners...

but someday I too will have mine. lol

On that note, beautiful set,
it could do with some more Ks but thats just me.

WOW, I love that kit!

Just curious, how much did you pay for it? You don't have to tell me, but I'd really like to know.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. As far as the cymbal holder, the splash arms are just bolted right through the square tube with nuts on each side. I put some spacers and then a large washer to hold the cymbal felt.

I'd love to have more K's, but I already have more cymbals than I need. Some day though.

Thanks man. My wife got it for me as a Christmas present, but at that point Guitar Center was selling the Renowns for $1449 for the 6 piece without snare. I don't know how much they're going for now, but you might find them a bit cheaper, depending on how hard you search online.

Awesome stuff dude. The new cymabls look great along with the rest of your set.

Wow, beautiful kit and great pics. The finish on your renowns is stunning and the set up looks like it would be a blast to play.

Congrats and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Great finish on those.
And the splash holder thing is really neat.

How do you find that XS20 ride? I have the same series of hats and a crash, but a Planet Z ride, so I'm looking to upgrade, probably to an XS20.

Nice set.

Really nice kit dude.Played one of these last wednesday and was drooling while playing on it.It was just so nice.

Man. I love that finish. At my school we have a crappy PDP EZ and one of the kids can stain wood like a fish(?) and he stained it similar to that.

nice kit, but your Paiste looks lonely...

Thanks guys. I actually have a second Paiste at the bottom of the stack on the far right. It's a 14" prototype china, and it's my favorite cymbal. It's thin and really explosive.

To be honest, I'd love to have more Paiste brass, but they're pricey, and I just haven't gotten to the point where I wanted to spend that much yet. All of these were either gifts or used.
The accent cymbal sounds really neat. It's like a bell, but not quite as ding-ey. I guess it sort of sounds like a super-heavy splash. I'll try and get a video clip of it along with my other stuff.

The XS20 ride was one of the earlier purchases, before I had this kit. I got it at Guitar Center for $99 I think, brand new, 4-5 years ago.

You have a cymbal that says "china star" on it. There's a chinese place in my town called "china star". Hmmm.. Must be a nice cymbal. : )

You have a cymbal that says "china star" on it. There's a chinese place in my town called "china star". Hmmm.. Must be a nice cymbal. : )

Yeah man, best $10 I ever spent! Haha. It actually has a cool sound to it. It's Kinda like a small trashy crash. If it isn't an actual Wuhan, it's from a company who either relabeled them, or ordered blanks from them or something. But it works great.

Just rearranged things and made a spot for my laptop and mixer, etc. Also put Remo some Weatherking Vintage A's on the toms, and a coated Ambassador on the 8".

drumsinfamilyroom002.jpg

drumsinfamilyroom005.jpg

drumsinfamilyroom004.jpg

drumsinfamilyroom006.jpg

drumsinfamilyroom008.jpg

drumsinfamilyroom007.jpg

drumsinfamilyroom009.jpg

Back