How have you found a band?

Thecowslayer

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has some tips/suggestions as to how to find a band. I was recently playing in a church group, but a lot of people left, and as far I know, I'm not playing with them any more.

It all depends on where you live. If you're out in the middle of nowhere slaying cows and rockin' the church scene, then your choices are going to be limited. The closer you get to a city, the more musicians you'll find and the easier it gets to find a band.

Oh no, I'm definitely not out in the middle of nowhere, I'm really close to Orlando, Florida and Universal,Disney, etc..... There's also quite a few music stores around here. My problem is finding people, especially those who are around my age. I'm 17, and I can't find that many people around my age at school, because I am taking college courses.

Look on "craigslist" craigslist > community > musicians or hang out at a busy Music Store.
On first glance, it looks like there's a lot drummers looking (same in Seattle), but there might be something in there...http://orlando.craigslist.org/search/muc?query=drummer&srchType=A

I've used CL a lot in the past and have hooked up with a lot of people that way. You could also post your own add to describe what you're looking for if you're picky.

Musicians hang out with other musicians. Hang out at the smaller venues and clubs where they play your preferred style of music. Look around town. Music stores are a dead giveaway. And of course, throw an ad on Craigslist... worked for me.

It all depends on where you live. If you're out in the middle of nowhere slaying cows and rockin' the church scene, then your choices are going to be limited. The closer you get to a city, the more musicians you'll find and the easier it gets to find a band.

Totally agree with Mike. I live in a town that makes Mayberry look like a metropolis. Finding musicians where i live is next to impossible.

Funny thing though is that i wasn't looking for a band when i got into this one. My nearest big city is about 30 miles from me and i don't get alot chances to go there. I actually was recomended to the band leader by someone i had played with a few times and that's basically how it happend in my case.

Get your name out there and put the word out that your looking for a band...word will likely get around since your in a populated area. Also like the others mentiond check CL often and you'll likely find someone in need of a drummer or is looking for a band as well.

Visit jam sessions and open mic nights. Go to your local music school and look for adds or put up your own. That's how I got bands.

Visit jam sessions and open mic nights. Go to your local music school and look for adds or put up your own. That's how I got bands.

+1 on the open mics. If you're a good player, you will get asked.

Back