Question about drumming and dancing

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Bo made a comment in his brave thread about him not being a very good dancer, and it got me wondering.... Say in the general population of 1000 ordinary people there were (pick a number) 30% of really good dancers, would 1000 drummers have the same percentage of really good dancers?

My first thought is no, it would be way less, but what do I know? That's why I'm asking.

I'm not a good dancer either. (that doesn't stop me, even though it really should) my drumming/dance ratio is like 100/1

So how do your dancing moves compare to your drumming skills?

I wonder what Polly/Malti/Beastdrummagirl/Monica McCoy/Geri Attrique and the rest of our female contingent have to say about this...

If they are dance-challenged then that's all I need to know.
Women are naturally better dancers than men, IMO.
If our female bretheren are under average in the dancing department then the proof is in that drumming robs areas in the brain that control dancing in order to build the areas of the brain that control drumming. That's my thought for the day.

And don't mention Buddy Rich. The man can't be considered human. We're talking humans here.

I can't dance hardly at all. And that bums my wife out, because she loves to dance.

No dancing here... I would look like the proverbial guy with two left feet... heck. I'm so clumsy I fall UP the stairs all the time!

I have no idea why I can play the drums.

Actually I'm a pretty good dancer. I started dancing when I was just a little kid, music always made me dance, still does.

You know I haven't danced with a girl in...believe or not, I haven't danced with a girl in close to thirty years.

These days I'm restricted to dancing with women. There's a big difference!

I've always wondered about this Larry. I would consider myself to be a decent dancer and figured it had some correlation to me having an inclination towards drumming. I always thought if you could dance then you certainly would be ahead of the game if you started playing drums. I also thought that if you were a good drummer and had the brain connections to your limbs that you would naturally be a good dancer. Obviously I'm wrong considering some of the replies already.

Come to think of it, as my drumming improves I don't know if my dancing is improving.

I will be dancing next weekend for sure.

I do think that playing in a band during your teens and 20s is bad for your dancing skills unless you focus on dancing. I always made the music while others danced.
When I went to see bands it was often too crowded to dance so everyone just kind of jiggled.

So, probably like most people here, I have rhythm but no grace so I never felt comfortable with dancing as a courtship ritual. If you can't give 'em the sexy goodies on the floor, then you're better off sitting down and talking ...

I'm mentioned in a thread! That's a first!

If I could learn how to dance (my wife loves to dance), then I'd be that much closer to being like James Bond. That guy could do everything. Then of course, I'd have to be able to fly planes, jump out of them, surf, ski, run a mile in under 4-minutes, and be really good with guns. My Omega watch would actually have hi-tech things in it to help me out in a jam. It'd be awesome.

But since I can't get past the dancing part, I'm screwed.

Larry, if your drum to dance ratio is 100/1 you're probably a better dance than I. sure, I have rhythm, but the dance floor isn't the place for me to show it. I just don't know what I'm doing when it comes to dancing.

Out of 10 drummers, so far 7 admit to not be so hot at dancing. That 30% guess thing is freaking me out.

I'm mentioned in a thread! That's a first!
Actually, you've been mentioned in thousands, just most of them are deleated before you get to see them, lol!

Dancing, me, nah, but I'm lucky, my wife doesn't dance either, & she plays sax. You'd think a sax chick would be good at the gyrating stuff, wouldn't you?

I'm told I can muster a good "dad shuffle".

I think dancing probably has more to do with the exhibitionist side of our character than exclusively rhythm. Might be interesting to note if the DW exponents of simple groove are the crap dancers, whilst the flash guys are good to boogie?

I can move to the beat quite well and due to the large latin presence in my town I'm pretty good at faking salsa and meringue. I get the odd compliment now and then but that's more due to my enthusiasm than do to my sweet dance moves. Just like others have said before in this thread, I've got rhythm bu lack grace.

"So, how do your dancing moves compare to your drumming skills?"

Born in Rock Falls, Ill. (where a three-day event was held in observance of his 80th), Bellson started out as a tap dancer at age 12 before switching to drums. While still a teen, he hit on an innovative concept that would alter his approach to drumming and have repercussions for generations of drummers to come. "Back in 1938 when I was in high school," Bellson says, "my mechanical drawing teacher saw me making this rough sketch of a double-bass drum kit, and he said, 'What is that?' I told him, 'It's a new style of drum set' and he said if I would make a drawing of it he would pass me. When I did the final drawing and showed it to him he said, 'This is great,' and encouraged me to send it to several drum companies, which I later did. And they all said I was crazy. One company said, 'Why don't you join Buck Rogers and go to the moon? Forget about it!'"

Being a good tap dancer seemed to only help Louis Bellson as seen in this autobiography here. Being a dancer helped his footwork which led to his idea of using two bass drums early on. Funny that a drum company told him to get lost. The rest as we know is history. On a personal note though, my wife and I used to go out on weekends and it was usually discos and such but we had a great time and I learned a few moves from her as her mom and sister were professional dancers for a while. For the longest, I found myself moving on my throne as I play but I have ZERO interest in doing anything on the dance floor anymore. I may take my wife out again in the future as she loves to dance but I find it a real PITA so I'll continue to put it off as long as possible ;) ! BTW...can anybody here actually sit through an entire hour or two of Dancing With the Stars? My wife's mom comes over to watch that crapfest every week and I retire to the mancave...kill me now.

i'm kind of in the same boat with larry. i'm not a very good dancer, and i shouldn't dance. i'm an embarrassment to myself and everyone around me, but i do it anyway.

I've been told i'm a good dancer, but I don't think i am. Im self conscience about it. I guess it depends on how many beers i have in me!

Back