has this happened to any of you???

RICHY-18

i was playing a gig tonight! whilst i was mid way through a song my finger's skin split open!! kinda of like a blister, but it wasnt a blister.. most pain i have been in for ages...

very weird has this happend to anyone else???

Yes, it's happened to me. Around this time of the year here in Florida my skin gets dry and if I'm not careful it will happen. I know the pain. The stick keeps rubbing against it and the sweat keeps getting into it which really doesn't help. Neosporin helps with the pain.

I must get a similar thing, but it must not the same thing, since the skin on the inside of the middle section of my left pinky always cracks after prolonged playing.

It doesn't really hurt, it's just kinda there, and I normally keep some paper medical tape (waterproof adhesive, not tape itself) on it so it'll heal quicker. Maybe it's because I'm used to it or something, but it really doesn't hurt.

Ohh yess it does. Right when our drumline has our week of heavy practice. My hands are not used to playing and a similar deal happens to me. I usually tape up my finger and put on necessary antibacterial creme. I also stay away from using that finger so it doesn't continue to get aggravated. You might have been gripping the stick a little too hard also.

I'm primarily a hand drummer. I constantly have ape or bandaids on my hands. Use a good lotion as much as you can in the dryer months.

i do not like the look of gloves but what do you reckon to gloves?

Are you a newer drummer? Do you practice a lot? I have found that, after years of playing for hours a day, this no longer happens to me, but it did at first. Even with hand drumming, my early congas have blood stains on the heads, etc, but now, my poor hands are so calloused, they don't bleed any more.

I actually dropped a sharp knife once (accidentially), point down, and it stuck in my finger...it was in there good enough to stick, but it still didn't cause bleeding.

As to your question about gloves...there's nothing "wrong" with them, if they work for you. I know Carter Beauford of the Dave Matthews Band used them on tour this year. But I can't use 'em. I need to feel the stick. I tried a few times, when I was having hand problems a while ago, and it was just uncomfortable for me...but that doesn't mean they won't work for you. Of course, if you do go that way, you'll never build up the callouses needed to not bleed, not blister, etc.

I actually dropped a sharp knife once (accidentially), point down, and it stuck in my finger...it was in there good enough to stick, but it still didn't cause bleeding.

As to your question about gloves...there's nothing "wrong" with them, if they work for you. I know Carter Beauford of the Dave Matthews Band used them on tour this year. But I can't use 'em. I need to feel the stick.

I stuck a knife in my foot this summer, fell off the counter and stuck right in the side of my foot. 8" Carving knife. Still hurts.

I have to feel the stick too (Not from the knife either) I can't wear gloves. Neil Peart uses super glue where his fingers split open. I've tried it and it usually works well.

I stuck a knife in my foot this summer, fell off the counter and stuck right in the side of my foot. 8" Carving knife. Still hurts.

I have to feel the stick too (Not from the knife either) I can't wear gloves. Neil Peart uses super glue where his fingers split open. I've tried it and it usually works well.

I keep Super Glue in the medicine chest and in my drum away tool kit. It is great stuff for closing gashes and covering blisters.

Thanks for the info on super glue. I recently changed my grip, just slightly, but it has led to an area of my hand getting some blisters...so annoying. Especially because they actually come up under an area that is partially calloused, so it's very awkward.

During the winter, the dry skin of my right-hand ring finger and pinky will start to split right along the fingerprint line from slapping against the stick so much. My solution is to put a band-aid (and a tiny drop of Neosporin) on the wound. Even if my skin hasn't split open, I'll still take pre-emptive action and bandage the finger up anyway if I know I'm going to be playing for an extended period of time.

i was playing a gig tonight! whilst i was mid way through a song my finger's skin split open!! kinda of like a blister, but it wasnt a blister.. most pain i have been in for ages...

very weird has this happend to anyone else???

Could be a fungus. If you are prone to athlete's foot, then you probably have a fungus living in your body, and it can "show up" in other areas of your body as dry and easily-cracking skin. I, um, have this friend...*whistles and rolls eyes*

If you notice any very very tiny blister-looking spots (look like they're under the skin) around the cracked area, then get some high-strength anti-fungal cream. If the problem goes away within a few days, then this is probably the case, and you should keep the cream close by.

Are you a newer drummer? Do you practice a lot? I have found that, after years of playing for hours a day, this no longer happens to me, but it did at first. Even with hand drumming, my early congas have blood stains on the heads, etc, but now, my poor hands are so calloused, they don't bleed any more.

As to your question about gloves...there's nothing "wrong" with them, if they work for you. I know Carter Beauford of the Dave Matthews Band used them on tour this year. But I can't use 'em. I need to feel the stick. I tried a few times, when I was having hand problems a while ago, and it was just uncomfortable for me...but that doesn't mean they won't work for you. Of course, if you do go that way, you'll never build up the callouses needed to not bleed, not blister, etc.

sorry about the long reply!! No im not i have been playing for almost 8 years now:)

Back