Back after 40 years!

gretschdrum

Hi, just a quick intro. Back playing drums after a 40 or so year absence! Used to play covers in a band back in the late 60's, band broke up and I sold my kit. Didn't pick the sticks up again until a few months ago, when I had this sudden urge to play again before it was too late! Have just bought a new Gretsch kit and thoroughly enjoying myself now, though very very rusty. I have an audition next month for a geriatric rock n roll band. I'm not sure I will get the gig as I'm not quite up to speed yet, but will give it my best shot. Will let you know how it goes.

Good Goin! I played rock in the 60's too and got back into playing after 30 years off.
It's as fun as it ever was!

Have just bought a new Gretsch kit and thoroughly enjoying myself now, though very very rusty.
Welcome to Drummerworld. Good luck with the audition. Post some pictures of your kit. We love eye candy here.​

Hi, just a quick intro. Back playing drums after a 40 or so year absence! Used to play covers in a band back in the late 60's, band broke up and I sold my kit. Didn't pick the sticks up again until a few months ago, when I had this sudden urge to play again before it was too late! Have just bought a new Gretsch kit and thoroughly enjoying myself now, though very very rusty. I have an audition next month for a geriatric rock n roll band. I'm not sure I will get the gig as I'm not quite up to speed yet, but will give it my best shot. Will let you know how it goes.

Welcome Gretsch, I also took 40 years off,played a couple of years in the 60s been back at it for almost a year. This is a great forum to learn about drums and drumming.

Welcome, and welcome back. your 40 year hiatus tops my 32 year one. Gotta love a Gretsch kit. good luck with the audition. don't try too much just drive the beat and show them you can keep it rock steady.

Welcome back and welcome to the forum! Age is just a thing of the mind. You'll probably play for another 40 years at least! And pictures please, you gotta show off your stuff.

Welcome to the old fogeys crowd.

What kind of Gretsch kit did you get?

Thanks for the welcome folks. I bought a Gretsch GS1 G Series kit in dark metallic red. Here's a pic, not a very good one, I will take some more soon.

IMG_1687.jpg

Welcome. Well the 1960s produced the best of everything music and drum-related so you came to the right place.

Welcome back. Drumming and music knows no age boundary. Enjoy!

WOW amazing stories. I'm just starting to learn at my age. All I did was listen to music alot in the 60's. What was I thinking all these years.

welcome back guys!!

Wow I'm impressed. Welcome back and good luck on your audition. I like the kit, too. Nice color.

Just to let you know I passed the audition and got the gig. I am now officially the drummer in a rock n roll band!! Happy days.

IMG_0201.jpg

Super congratulations my fellow Brit! Wow, 40 years off, that kicks my 20+ years off drumming into the long grass. Welcome back to the fold, & getting through that audition is superb news. Enjoy your journey, & be sure to bring us along with you :)

Had a second rehearsal last Sunday , but unfortunately that didn't go quite as well as the audition itself as we played some stuff I wasn't familiar with and my drumming limitations were exposed somewhat and I came away feeling a bit low! Half expecting a message to say I'm not quite what they want after all. If that happens I will just have to put it down to experience and carry on.

Hi Larryz, thanks. Actually things have looked up a bit since my last post and I have received emails from the vocalist and the bassist saying how well they thought the rehearsal went, so maybe I've just been a bit hard on myself! Been rehearsing some rock n roll numbers. Apache by the Shadows, Move It by Cliff Richard some stuff by Buddy Holly that kind of thing. Stuff I have heard before but not overly familiar with. One track, Dance On, by The Shadows has a difficult, for me, intro. I just couldn't get it, so told them they will have to do without that one for now!

Wow, 40 years!! I thought my 25 years away from drums and percussion was quite a while. It is, but 40 years...Welcome Back!

And you had the guts to go do an audition?! And actually get the gig?! LOL, well that's inspiring. I hope I have as happy a reunion with the drums (whenever I manage to get some equipment).

Good luck with the band.

Edit:
Whatever songs you might be having problems with, just ask around. I'm sure you can get it resolved. Also, search youtube for a video of the original band, or a cover band. You might even find a video of someone playing the drum part.

Hi Larryz, thanks. Actually things have looked up a bit since my last post and I have received emails from the vocalist and the bassist saying how well they thought the rehearsal went, so maybe I've just been a bit hard on myself! Been rehearsing some rock n roll numbers. Apache by the Shadows, Move It by Cliff Richard some stuff by Buddy Holly that kind of thing. Stuff I have heard before but not overly familiar with. One track, Dance On, by The Shadows has a difficult, for me, intro. I just couldn't get it, so told them they will have to do without that one for now!

Ah, must be a Brit band because lots of Cliff Richard & SHadows. Over here in the States he was/is virtually unknown. His only hit being the mid-70s "Devil Woman" and the excellent duet with Olivia Newton John "Suddenly".... Glad things are better.

Back