Shell Pack with 20" Bass Drum

Billy Brown

Moving from the lurker to participant...

Are there any worthwhile shell packs under $700 with a 20" bass drum? I was going to go with the Catalina Club Jazz, because I was just practicing on my own. But I have started playing with an indie/pop band, and I think I lead a little more bass drum. Anything used and in quality condition I could find in that price range?

Well you can get the force 3007 studio set for around $1000.

Do you need the set right away?

cause many people sing the praises of the force series.

I don't need it right away. I would like to purchase in the next 2 or 3 months, though. That should give me some time to find a used deal.

Ah. i apologize. I didnt read the used part.

I would just say keep looking.
For around $700 you can get a professional quality set used.

just have to keep looking.

Ah. i apologize. I didnt read the used part.

I would just say keep looking.
For around $700 you can get a professional quality set used.

just have to keep looking.

Thanks!!

New or used. I was just hoping to have help narrowing it down. I'm not much of a gear head. I've been playing the same drums for 17 years and haven't thought much about what else is out there in the mean time.

Ludwig just introduced the centenial series with different core shell packs one consisting of a 20x20 bassdrum,16" floor-tom and 13" tom and a snare the wood in north-american maple not the cheap overseas stuff i've seen shell packs for around $1000.00 they're made overseas through.They look like a decent set of drums,nice laquer sparkle finishes(2) and shadow finishes(2) kinda like the classic birch series and the bass drums are virgin with rim-mounted tom and a legged floor-tom.I haven't. heard or played them yet through.

Just something to consider,
Bonzolead

Ludwig just introduced the centenial series with different core shell packs one consisting of a 20x20 bassdrum,16" floor-tom and 13" tom and a snare the wood in north-american maple not the cheap overseas stuff i've seen shell packs for around $1000.00 they're made overseas through.They look like a decent set of drums,nice laquer sparkle finishes(2) and shadow finishes(2) kinda like the classic birch series and the bass drums are virgin with rim-mounted tom and a legged floor-tom.I haven't. heard or played them yet through.

Out of my price range. I'm digging the look of those Centennial kits, but I would want something like a 20X16. 20X20?? I'm looking to go as small as is reasonable for a rock band.

I'm finding the Sonor 2007/3007 Studio series on online stores but nothing on the Sonor site. Am I missing something?

What is the policy/price on piecing together a set these sort of intermediate drums vs. buying a pre-packed kit??

I bought a ddrum pocket kit with a 20" bass for $550 and I've been really happy with it. I've got several recordings of it in live settings if you wanna hear it click on the link in my signature... Use headphones too. I think the tune "Givin' it up" showcases the bass drum, and toms right at the beginning so you don't have to listen to a whole tune just to hear the kit.

Here is a Pearl BRX (birch shells), 20x16, 15x13, 12x8, brand new for $899. I know that's more than your budget, but it's a good deal and those are great sizes for all styles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEARL-BRX-20-15...ryZ38097QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one has a 22" bass drum, but you might still want to check it out. Tama Starclassic Performer (birch), 22x18, 14x12, 12x9, 10x8, brand new with a Buy It Now price of $799 and current high bid of just over $200 - also seems to be a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Tama-Starcl...ryZ38097QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for everyone's help so far!!

Looks like there are some good options, especially if I bump up my price a little.

You're in the price range to get an old Ludwig or Slingerland kit in the 12/14/20 configuration. I don't know if you're looking for 3 toms or a snare as well, but if you can deal with just two toms and already have a killer snare/cymbals/hardware, then I'd look around and consider a Ludwig or Slingerland 3 piece from the 60's or early 70's. Great sounding, good-looking, classic.

I was in a similar situation & I decided to go cheap with the 2005 Sonor Force, there's a seller on ebay who's taking offers & I think he has two more listed right now. The seller's handle is usedinstrument something. I had offered $600 shipped on a 2005 Force w/ a 22" bass, 10,12,16 toms, 14 snare & stand plus hat stand, 2 cymbal stand and pedal & he was willing to take it. I think the other listing he has has a 20" bass instead which should be cheaper.

Back