Dave Letterman's Drum Solo Week

Neil Peart tonight on Letterman. I just found this thread so excuse me if I have given you old neews.

Someone above said that "Drummers like groovey solos. People like fireworks."

I'm not sure. If you watch the Shiela E. solo again, notice when the crowd starts clapping: it's several minutes in, when she leaves the "drum chops in free time" stuff behind, and starts playing something on the cowbell that the average Joe could actually clap his hands to. Seems to me the audience was quite happy to finally hear something with some actual rhythm to it.

Drum solos aren't supposed to be participatory, you are supposed to watch and enjoy. Just because people are not clapping, doesn't mean they are not enjoying. At RUSH concerts, everyone just stands there and watches the professor do his thing. All these people that say they don't care for Neil, probably have not taken the time to watch what he has done. Take an hour out of your life and watch "Beyond the lighted stage". You might be very surprised at how many pro drummers he has influenced. They dig him! He has been as important to drumming as any of the other greats. Give him the respect he deserves, just like the old guy last night. It isn't Jazz thank goodness, but it is amazing stuff he does.

Hey Stitch,

Why wouldn't you put BR in the category of "older" drummers. He started in vaudville in 1917, got the sideman job with Joe Marsala in 1937, played with Tommy Dorsey in 1939. He was older than Roy Haynes. There was no mistaking BR's pleasure when his band was smokin'. Sorry for the rant. I'm good now.

I agree, the big band era is of the 30's, 40's and 50's was great. I'll take a 16 piece big band over a Marshall stack any day.

-r

You're right, but that was not my intention. He is of course part of this generation of "older" drummers :)

Someone above said that "Drummers like groovey solos. People like fireworks."

I'm not sure. If you watch the Shiela E. solo again, notice when the crowd starts clapping: it's several minutes in, when she leaves the "drum chops in free time" stuff behind, and starts playing something on the cowbell that the average Joe could actually clap his hands to. Seems to me the audience was quite happy to finally hear something with some actual rhythm to it.

But later Matt said something about people liking the groove after the fireworks.

I live in Sydney, a city that seems to have become obsessed with fireworks ever since the 2000 Olympics fireworks show went down well. Every time they do it, there is a "meaningful" fireworks motif on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It's the most famous and most loved part of the fireworks show.

However, people would be cranky if the show only consisted of that without all the whizz kamoom stuff done beforehand. It's there as a climax, the same way as Sheila used the cowbell groove (my fave part of her solo) and the disco groove with vocals.

I've found non-drummer views vary quite a bit when it comes to the grooveless fireworks. Some love it and some hate it. Very few are lukewarm about it.

That's what was so cool about Letterman's drum spot - he took the risk, knowing that some of his audience would find performances like Anton F's and Sheila E's to be noisy and boring. Letterman was happy to tap into that old variety show tradition, not just as a one-off but as a faux week (4-day) event.

Dog!! fly running sand...... coal mine. Octopus inversion! Trouble estate!

PS. Sticks, sorry for not being a Rush or Neil fan. I hope one day you discover the joys of jazz too.

Kind of interesting how this thread has so many comments on what a drum solo should be, or is, or isnt.

Why does it need to be anything other that what the artist intends and be involving for the listener? And there is more than one way of getting involved.

I dont think the playing of any other instrument is referred to in this functional sort of way. Andre Segovia, Steve Vai and Scofield play guitar solos.. apples, oranges..and bananas.

Larry raised a great point about wanting to hear how much music can be made on your instrument without any other music supporting you.. I hadnt thought of it like that. I suppose thats what solo means.

Drum solos aren't supposed to be participatory, you are supposed to watch and enjoy. Just because people are not clapping, doesn't mean they are not enjoying. At RUSH concerts, everyone just stands there and watches the professor do his thing. All these people that say they don't care for Neil, probably have not taken the time to watch what he has done. Take an hour out of your life and watch "Beyond the lighted stage". You might be very surprised at how many pro drummers he has influenced. They dig him! He has been as important to drumming as any of the other greats. Give him the respect he deserves, just like the old guy last night. It isn't Jazz thank goodness, but it is amazing stuff he does.

"the old guy last night"

hahahahahahahahaha

have the decency to call a legend by name bro

we all know Neil is great and has been through a lot in his life........I have nothing but respect for Peart and Rush........even Rush before Peart......

but any drummer that refers to Roy Haynes as "the old guy last night" has something to learn.

....and I sure hope Neil doesnt pull out that half ass swing stuff he has been doing in recent years.....he's not so great at it.......we get it....he studied with Freddie Gruber.....but stick to the rigid stiff Neil Peart we all know and love

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought David Letterman had learned how to play the drums and was going to do a different solo every night. Now that would've been interesting.

That's the first time I've seen Anton solo. It wasn't bad, I liked it.

Shelia's was a little better. I like the fills she did during the little breaks and the bass drum roll she did. The thing I didn't like is the basic beat and singing she did in the middle. Talk about putting on the brakes.

I think it was kind of funny how the audience thought she was done and started applauding just before her solo. I was saying I don't think she's done yet.

I really enjoyed Mr. Haynes melodic solo. Really nice. I can't believe he is in his middle 80's.Looking forward to Neil's solo tonight.

"the old guy last night"

hahahahahahahahaha

have the decency to call a legend by name bro

we all know Neil is great and has been through a lot in his life........I have nothing but respect for Peart and Rush........even Rush before Peart......

but any drummer that refers to Roy Haynes as "the old guy last night" has something to learn.

....and I sure hope Neil doesnt pull out that half ass swing stuff he has been doing in recent years.....he's not so great at it.......we get it....he studied with Freddie Gruber.....but stick to the rigid stiff Neil Peart we all know and love
From what you know about Neil and his drumming, I would say you have a lot to learn. Who knows. Maybe one day I will be at your superior level. Any drummer that says they are not really into Neil Peart has a lot to learn as well. You don't mind being judged do you. You seem pretty good at it. You have done it twice on here to me.

Last edited:
Neil's solo was basically the same as the Time Machine Solo, but shorter. I liked it except for the sound quality. It sounded like he had a noise gate on the snare which messed up the floating snare segment. Also, he should have probably used a lighter ride, the paragon sounded too gongy in that small studio. Good solo, and a good week to be a drummer. Quite a few people were exposed to some world class drummers this week, many for the first time. I hope to see more of this type of thing.

I am always amazed at how much Neil's kit shakes while he's playing, especially the cymbals. Nice solo, very enjoyable, can't wait to see him live in a little while on the tour!

From what you know about Neil and his drumming, I would say you have a lot to learn. Who knows. Maybe one day I will be at your superior level. Any drummer that says they are not really into Neil Peart has a lot to learn as well. You don't mind being judged do you. You seem pretty good at it. You have done it twice on here to me.

you are hilarious....

I have studied Neils drumming for nearly 30 years.....closely.....and I respect it...

just not into his rigid mechanical style.....its an opinion....we all have them

I will preface this comment by saying (so not offend any of neil fanboys).
I really like the music of Rush from 2112 thru the Signals album.

Peart solo tonight was alright. I like the longer versions he does better. He usually takes his time to transition to the different sections of the solo. The time limit seemed to make the solo feel rushed. Not tempo wise but the flow of transitions. He starts each section with orchestral type stuff then gradually starts rockin.

With the 5 min. time limit he didn't have as much time to build the normal drama & intensity. Swing section felt really rigid, but the ending was pretty cool. Overall, not his best work but a fun show nonetheless!

Well, you've got to love Neil's kit. It firmly places the drummer as a full part of a "show" in the audience perspective, & that's great for drumming. Nice one Neil!

From a drummer's pov, that was an interesting spectacle, but clearly squashed by time constraints. Think what you will of Neil's drumming, but the performance had too many elements for me. I'm sure Neil would have liked the luxury of space to allow those elements to resolve & flow compositionally.

All in all, a great week for drumming in NA.

I think what's missing for me in Neil's solo is the explosiveness of earlier years. I'm thinking A Show of Hands and the like. Where he goes bat-crazy after the Pieces of 8 theme, for instance. I'm looking forward to hearing this complete solo.

An interview with Neil about getting ready for Letterman, and soloing in general:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/interview-rushs-neil-peart-talks-drum-solos-458100

I really liked what he said about the Eric Clapton Factor - putting expectations on yourself rather than just going out there to enjoy playing.

Peart solo tonight was alright. ... With the 5 min. time limit he didn't have as much time to build the normal drama & intensity. Swing section felt really rigid, but the ending was pretty cool. Overall, not his best work but a fun show nonetheless!

I'd agree with that. I enjoyed moments of it and others just sort of passed me by. All in all, I liked Roy H's solo best - and not just because he's an old guy - I simply found his choices and touch more enjoyable than the others.

Shame it's only a 4-day week for Letterman but it must be difficult to get players of the stature of Sheila, RH and NP to make themselves available within their busy schedules. Let's hope the audiences ask for more!

Boy he really seemed tentative, didn't he? He definitely felt like he was trying to move through all the sections in an uncomfortably abbreviated way. I don't think he looked very happy about his performance, either. He didn't even stand up at the end. No smiles or anything. Normally his solos happen deep into Rush's set when he's nice and warmed up, which didn't feel like the case here. Bummer.

Still love the guy. Whaddaya gonna do?

Normally his solos happen deep into Rush's set when he's nice and warmed up, which didn't feel like the case here.

Thanks Mike, that would be really difficult and something I'd forgotten to take into account.

It says a lot about the skill of all the players that they can get up there cold in front of a TV audience of millions and play at that level.

Back