What's your latest purchase?

2 Aquarian Coated Peforrmance II tom heads (12" and 14")

Matched stereo pair of Josephson C42 small diaphragm condenser mics.
Excellent for overheads, both live and in the studio!

Neal

Bought two snares....Pearl Sensitone seamless aluminum 14 x 5 and a Pork Pie maple 14x6 Zebrawood. Both snares are great!

What about the dark crash didn't you like? For me it will be replacing a Sabian AAX Xplosion 18 inch. I know its a different animal, but I'd love to explore and convert all my cymbals into Meinl. As for the trash crash, thanks for making me even more eager to play it! That will replace my AAX ozone of the same size. Do you recommend any Meinl Rides? I need one to replace my K custom hybrid ride.

Hey, sorry to take so long.

I didn't like the dark crash much because I didn't feel it was very versatile at all. It worked as a very trashy, high pitched crash, and it was very thick. Just not my thing, I guess.

As far as rides go, it depends. I have the 22" Extra Dry Medium, and it's my favorite ride I've ever played. If you go the typical glassy rock/metal route, mb10, mb20, or byzance brilliant works well. My personal favorites are the extra dry ride, the sand ride, and the raw bell dark ride. Try them out, though, and go with what you love.

A 1950's Slingerland marching snare, wood hoops, long tension rods that plugged in to the bottom hoop clamps, with guide ferrels,, Blue paint over maple.... $16 on eBay, 11 bucks shipping.

No snares, no strainer... I'll hybridize it and probably use it a while and turn it loose.

The head is a Remo heavy duty and the reso is a Rogers. I have snare wire that will work and I'll see what happens. Wood hoops are cool. Maybe I can get a NOLA low tuned shuffle snare out of it. That would be nice to have.

Last edited:
A 60's(?) Mica MIJ 8x12 tom.

The finish is a Gingery Glitter pretty much identical to the finish that's on my 9x13 1960's Blue Foil badged Kent (made in New York State).

I know it's not rare or expensive or even a high quality drum but I like it.

eBay purchase - $60.

It has what appear to be all the original hardware and heads. It's in very good shape.

I tried washing the heads but I didn't want to go too heavy because I didn't want to take any of the coating or Logo off - the stains did not come off. They're 'historic battle scars' better left alone.

It tuned up nicely and I'm using it as a side tom off my hats with my Purewood kit.

Attachments

• mica swingline badge (Custom).JPG
    mica swingline badge (Custom).JPG
    115 KB · Views: 967
  • mica swingline head logo (Custom).JPG
    mica swingline head logo (Custom).JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,017
  • MICA SWINGLINE TOM MOUNT2 (Custom) (Medium).JPG
    MICA SWINGLINE TOM MOUNT2 (Custom) (Medium).JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 962
  • MICA SWINGLINE TOM EDGES (Custom).JPG
    MICA SWINGLINE TOM EDGES (Custom).JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 960
  • CLEANED OILED (1) (Custom).JPG
    CLEANED OILED (1) (Custom).JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 950
  • MICA SWINGLINE TOM EDGES (1) (Custom).JPG
    MICA SWINGLINE TOM EDGES (1) (Custom).JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 946
Cool drum KONA. Congrats!

It feels like I have been on a buying tear as of late. But I am just putting some finishing touches on my new large shelled Ludwig Classic Maple kit. I just picked up a new Pearl S1030 snare stand for my rack tom. And I just got a replacement 26" Remo Ambassador reso head. I plan on getting rid of the Remo logo with some goo-gone so that I can put a 2x8 Ludwig vinyl decal on when it arrives, supposedly, tomorrow. I really dig the look of the smaller Ludwig logos on those huge 26" bass drums. And that... that should be it. Oh, and I have two Protection Racket cases for my rack and floor toms on the way via eBay. OK, THAT should be it. I am pretty much where I want to be.

Great drum KONA! YEAH!
Look at that edge! As long as it's pretty even all the way around, it'll be cool.

I know it's kinda sacrilege these days (where perfection MUST reign on every screw and bolt) to like an edge like this, but those drums can sound really cool.

If you can make things sound good on a drum like this, you have something goin' on!

Thanks guys - yes it's fun taking a cheap old drum and bringing it back to life and playing it...once again.

Here's the Mica MIJ 8x12 in the mix - to the left of my hats - with my Purewood 6pc.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 900
I just picked up a Pearl P930 Bass Drum Pedal. I've been considering this pedal for some time now. It has some good features on it and seemed like the best deal as far as budget pedals are concerned. I needed a new pedal for the garage band kit. The one that's there is a GP and it stinks. I tried out this Pearl P930 Pedal at GC on a DW Design Series kit, which is the kit I'm gonna buy soon. The pedal felt great doing some hip hop beats and the Immigrant Song beat, and the kit was awesome too. I'm really impressed with the Design series snare drum, even with the stock heads. I could just imagine how good that kit will sound with some Emps or G2's on it. Oh yeah!

I'll try out the pedal tomorrow. It has a cool attachment to the cam that makes it oblong and provides extra power in the second half of the pedal stroke. Plus, I have the option to adjust the pedal footboard up along the baseplate about 3/4" to a second position for a heavier feel. I play mostly heel-toe so I like this option. I'm going to try it out in the second position tomorrow. In addition to those two things, I can adjust the beater position to and fro with an easy twist of the adjuster nut. It also came with a good drum key and 2 hex wrenches for removing the added cam and adjusting the footboard.

I just picked up a Pearl P930 Bass Drum Pedal. I've been considering this pedal for some time now. It has some good features on it and seemed like the best deal as far as budget pedals are concerned. I needed a new pedal for the garage band kit. The one that's there is a GP and it stinks. I tried out this Pearl P930 Pedal at GC on a DW Design Series kit, which is the kit I'm gonna buy soon. The pedal felt great doing some hip hop beats and the Immigrant Song beat, and the kit was awesome too. I'm really impressed with the Design series snare drum, even with the stock heads. I could just imagine how good that kit will sound with some Emps or G2's on it. Oh yeah!

I'll try out the pedal tomorrow. It has a cool attachment to the cam that makes it oblong and provides extra power in the second half of the pedal stroke. Plus, I have the option to adjust the pedal footboard up along the baseplate about 3/4" to a second position for a heavier feel. I play mostly heel-toe so I like this option. I'm going to try it out in the second position tomorrow. In addition to those two things, I can adjust the beater position to and fro with an easy twist of the adjuster nut. It also came with a good drum key and 2 hex wrenches for removing the added cam and adjusting the footboard.
I got the P932 (double pedal model) just a couple of weeks.ago. It's my first double pedal so I don't have any long-term comparison. I tried out at GC and compared it to a few other in it's price range. I also checked out the PDP, the IC 200 and the slightly more expensive DW. This felt the most comfortable and solid. I fiddled with the settings and ended up removing the power cam, moving the pedalboard to the forward position, and tightening the spring almost to the maximum. I'll try it out for a couple of weeks and then fiddle with it some more.

After years of using a cheapy fiber case, I got one of these. I'm breathing easier now.

sku_view_image.php

I got the P932 (double pedal model) just a couple of weeks.ago. It's my first double pedal so I don't have any long-term comparison. I tried out at GC and compared it to a few other in it's price range. I also checked out the PDP, the IC 200 and the slightly more expensive DW. This felt the most comfortable and solid. I fiddled with the settings and ended up removing the power cam, moving the pedalboard to the forward position, and tightening the spring almost to the maximum. I'll try it out for a couple of weeks and then fiddle with it some more.

I used to have double-pedals, but I never used them much. The pedal performed flawlessly. It did everything that I needed it to do and feels great. I only tightened the spring about 3 complete turns. Seemed tight enough. I never thought I could buy a cheap pedal like this and be completely happy with it, but I am. Maybe my expectations are lower because I don't know what all the expensive stuff feels like, but I think I know a good pedal when I play one. My only concern now is durability.

Got some instruction books with the gift card I got for Fathers' Day. All three came highly recommended.

Here's my next "project".

Attachments

• skins.jpg
    skins.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 862
Sabian 21 inch HH Vintage Ride.

Bought it new (I usually prefer used cymbals).
Crashable ride (a must) , very musical, 'medium dark' excellent bell too.
Trying to get down to a 2 cymbal setup.

I just completed my new PA system for the kit (and also as a general PA for other things). I got one of those Seismic Audio 15" powered subwoofers and two Peavey 10" speakers I use as satellites, and it's quite nice now knowing I have vomit-inducing lows! This will make a big difference when I mic the kit up for my current gig, it'll actually be sound reinforcement.

These will be coupled with a Mackie 1604VLZ console that I've already had, but when I only need to use 3 or 4 mics, I also picked up a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer (one of the older ones that's actually made out of metal as opposed to plastic like their new compact mixers. So I'm pretty excited about this and looking forward to the first time it gets used!

I just bought a 22" Sabian Omni. It's a pretty cool ride, that's crashable.
132da2b0-cbbf-41df-9402-39cfcbfdeabc_zps1c821f69.jpg

Back