drum solo from "Junk! the Musical"

trepaning

"Junk! the Musical" is a musical about a junkyard and I am playing Jake. Here is a bit of the show where there is a drum solo like event taking place.

http://youtu.be/vVYArfCLabM

hi hat is a shoe tied to a string and a bungee cord and rubber glove, with a sippy cup full of rice duct taped to it and a metal sheet with screen wire mesh and some jingly things tied to it.

Brian2.jpg

I did not make the kit. I just showed up with sticks. All instruments for the show were made by the man who wrote the show, Paul Snider.

Not sure if Stomp or Blue Man Group use a violin made of papier mache, a baseball bat and a teddy bear...

boris.jpg

Or a cello made of a trash can, piping, and a tie...

cello.jpg

but maybe they use a stand up bass made of a wheelbarrow, a hockey stick and a rubber boot...?

bass.jpg

Just wanted to mention that the guy playing the tubes in the video is Paul Snider, the person who wrote the show and built all the instruments.

I'll let this thread sink after this post, but wanted to mention I have started creating the pieces for what will become "Junk! the Animation". I do some 3d stuff for fun, and will make this a winter project. Unless I finish it before then...

2014-09-1-20-scene-09.jpg

Here is the completed animation I mentioned above:

The Music of Junk - Rhythm

Here is the info as it appears on YouTube:

next performances November 18-22, 2015 http://www.TheMusicOfJunk.com
Waterfront Theatre on Granville Island, Vancouver, BC, Canada

I was the drummer for the September 2014 debut of "The Music of Junk" at the Vancouver Fringe Festival. After the shows were over, I decided to make an animation of the show as a winter project. At the end of January, I found out about a CG festival called SIGGRAPH that accepts submissions and I saw the festival had a music video category, so I bumped up my planned end-of-February project conclusion one month to make the submission deadline. This is the CG music video result of "1 person, 4 months".

Audio recorded September 2014 at Firehall Theater
Animation produced October 2014-January 2015
Rendering of animation from February 10th 11pm until February 22nd 9pm.

Software used:
Blender
GIMP
Audaciy
a little bit of Makehuman

rendered at 1280x720
85 samples

The colander is a little known Paiste offering, right up there with their spatula and whisk drumsticks. They also make the "old shoe and crutches" hi hat system employed for the show.

Back