Custom floortom conversion

frank0072

Gold Member
Hey guys, I've always wanted to be able to play my 16" tom as a kick if the situation would ask for it. Now I found some stuff on the internet that converts those toms for you, but they are all rather expensive (like this one). I could do it cheaper than that offcourse, so I made a sketch and went to the hardwarestore where a nice gentleman made this for me. It set me back €15,-.

Attachments

• IMG_0921 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0921 (Large).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_0922 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0922 (Large).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_0923 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0923 (Large).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_0925 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0925 (Large).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 532
Job well done. That'll certainly do the trick.

You may need to glue some felt strips to the wood that is touching your shell! It will leave rub marks in time!

You may need to glue some felt strips to the wood that is touching your shell! It will leave rub marks in time!

Haha, guess what I just did. I was planning to do this from the beginning, didn't plan on playing with it without some protection (how does that sound?). I am not sure if I will leave it this way or that I should paint it...

Attachments

• Floortom conversion (Large).jpg
    Floortom conversion (Large).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 533
Hey Frank, good piece of design. I'd go with painting it. The MDF isn't the most attractive of finishes. To be really cool, you might consider buying some adhesive backed chrome vinyl sheet or vinyl drum wrap and bond it on yourself. Would really look the part IMO. Nice work!

You may want to try some foam pipe insulation instead of the felt strips. It will cushion abit more and keep the wood from resonating.

How did I miss this!? I love DIY stuff, this is very cool!

Back