Uncertain and Urgent (maple/birch)

sleepcascade

Hello, its my first post here, but its about time as im always looking for suggestions, advice, alternate opinions, etc. Unfortunately this question here I have is kind of urgent as Im praying these kits dont get bought before I can make a decision (on ebay.)

Im looking for a drumset that I can gig with and most of the gigs I have are for some kind of metal or metal subgenre. Im looking at a used pearl blx birch studio kit. This one caught my eye and it would only cost me about a 1000 bucks with shipping, and it is a six piece set in good condition.

I was pretty set on this until i came across a Yamaha maple custom absolute 5 piece kit that would cost me about 1300 total. Im getting one less drum and its 300 bucks more, BUT, for whatever reason I have this notion that the Yamaha is just a better kit.

My biggest concern, is that most of the gigs that I play are metal orientated as I stated. (I study several styles at home but im talking gigs only) Is maple a general no-no when it comes to playing metal? I love birch for the quick decay and Im afraid that maple is just going to have too much resonance and take up too much room for live gigs, especially metal. What do you guys think?
General comments about each kit are welcome as well as what you thinking regarding maple/birch for live gigs, particularly metal. Thanks a lot.

How old is the BLX? Back in the day they were nice kits.

I work amongst maple Absolutes and find they are stunning. Yamaha kits seem made with recording in mind and don't have as much kick as other brands. But when close mic'd sound fantastic.

Are both kits second hand?

How old is the BLX? Back in the day they were nice kits.

I work amongst maple Absolutes and find they are stunning. Yamaha kits seem made with recording in mind and don't have as much kick as other brands. But when close mic'd sound fantastic.

Are both kits second hand?

Yes, both kits are second hand. The Blx seems old, heres a link (looks like a nice kit):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...82152&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1410wt_1167

and the yamaha maple:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...974974&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

I think im leaning towards the pearl, but the yamaha still intrigues me enough to the point that im not ready to commit.

Were it me, I would take the yamaha kit easily. It depends upon how much you want to spend. The Yamaha kit is a lot younger. I was touring with MLX and BLX kits 20 years ago. Were I offered one at a good price now I would not buy it. Unless it was about $400.00 or so AUD.

Those Yamaha kits are spankin'!

I am supposed to be getting a Sonor deal, but this talk has been going on since last year. During this time I have been able to check out other brands. I want to get rid of my Masterworks. And as it happens a Yamaha maple Absolute as well as a birch model have turned my head. As have Tama bubinga Starclassics.

I am a dedicated Sonor guy too. And yet.......

It is worth thinking about.

For metal, I would have to go with the birch. Birch is a brighter and punchier wood. For that reason alone, I feel it would suit that style of music better, IMHO. Also, if I had to guess, you're really getting more for your money with it.

I've got both a birch kit and a maple kit (both Yamaha's).....I'd get the yamaha kit...much better kit than the blx and personally, having owned both wood types, I prefer maple just a little bit more to birch..both are good types though...maple just a little deeper in tone...

Last edited:
No reason to shy away from maple for metal. It seems alot of metal players play Tama Starclassic Maple and Bubingas which have thin shells not unlike the thin shelled Yamaha Maple Absolutes but for some reason the Yammies seem to be popular for jazz.

The Pearls are a nice kit and may sound great but are a bit dated and not really a collectors set like older American drums so the price might be a bit high. The Pearls I would be looking at in that price range are the mmx and mcx.

Get the Yamaha kit. Not even close.

Get the Yamaha kit. Not even close.

Man i agree.You will have to get a double tom mount for the bass drum and your good to go.And the hardware on these things are Rock solid.Those bass drum legs just great stuff.These pearls for me,never did anything for me.I dont like those double long single tom mounts at all.The yamaha kit you can beat it as hard as you want, with medal im assuming thats how you play,and they are not going anywhere........

Have to say.. having owned both brands, Yamaha for the WIN!

Another vote for the Yamaha. If ever you want to resell later you'll be able to get a better price for it than for the Pearl.

I would have to say go with the Yamaha, no question. The only thing is, being an auction both sets of drums are probably going to go up considerably in price.

Dennis

Wow! Thanks a lot everyone for the advice! Yea I just had this inkling towards the yahama and though I was leaning towards playing it safe with the birch, it looks like I should go for the extra couple of bucks and do the yahama, it does look like a much nicer kit. Thanks a lot brothers, ill let you all know how it plays when it arrives!

Wow! Thanks a lot everyone for the advice! Yea I just had this inkling towards the yahama and though I was leaning towards playing it safe with the birch, it looks like I should go for the extra couple of bucks and do the yahama, it does look like a much nicer kit. Thanks a lot brothers, ill let you all know how it plays when it arrives!

You must be plannin to bid high bro! Good luck!

Yes, both kits are second hand. The Blx seems old, heres a link (looks like a nice kit):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...82152&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1410wt_1167

and the yamaha maple:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...974974&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

I think im leaning towards the pearl, but the yamaha still intrigues me enough to the point that im not ready to commit.

I see that the yamaha kit was sold.Im hoping it was you thay got it???

Back