SnareDrum Transformation

Well I put the drum back on the stand behind the kit, tuned it as always and all I can say is, it is loud. Imnot sure what the dynamics of the wrap produce, Andy's Area, but it was always a warmer drum that I tuned lower than some because of its size, but now it is loud.
Sorry Grunt, only just seen this. FWIW, I think it looks great! Very clean & distinctive.

If I'm picking up your observations correctly, the drum is now louder & brighter than before. On a steam bent single ply shell, the difference will be more noticeable than on a multiple ply shell, & entirely expected. Essentially, the wrap has added some mass & stiffness to the shell. This will reduce low dynamic resonance response & increase higher frequency reflection. You'd notice it more if you did the same to a tom. Not a bad thing on a snare, just a different vibe :)

Sorry Grunt, only just seen this. FWIW, I think it looks great! Very clean & distinctive.

If I'm picking up your observations correctly, the drum is now louder & brighter than before. On a steam bent single ply shell, the difference will be more noticeable than on a multiple ply shell, & entirely expected. Essentially, the wrap has added some mass & stiffness to the shell. This will reduce low dynamic resonance response & increase higher frequency reflection. You'd notice it more if you did the same to a tom. Not a bad thing on a snare, just a different vibe :)

Thanks Andy and you are dead on. Your analysis is perfect. It is a Vaughncraft single ply just under 1/2 inch thick and has been one of my favorite snares other than I didn't like how my original finish came out. But with stain and a clear coat there wasn't much else to do. I have another in the works, A Taye Studio Maple snare that I am re-doing. should be done this week

Thanks Andy and you are dead on. Your analysis is perfect. It is a Vaughncraft single ply just under 1/2 inch thick
It's good to know I occasionally get luck with a wild guess ;)

Seriously, 1/2" is pretty thick for a steam bent shell, especially once you add the rerings. On a more typical thinner shell (for steam bent), the difference of the wrap would be far more noticeable.

My mistake. It is 1/2 at the edges with the rings.
Ah, ok, I thought that was a little strange. Anyhow, glad I was right about the sound change :)

Still liking the look of the wrap, & TBH, the original finish was a little uninspiring. Stripped of stain & dry waxed however = different story. Not easy to reverse a stain.

BTW, interesting internal colour on the shell. Is that a trick of the light? Looks almost like purpleheart.

The old stain was Minwax Sienna Red. oops sorry. The interior is a stain the original owner put in there. Not sure what flavor

The old stain was Minwax Sienna Red. oops sorry. The interior is a stain the original owner put in there. Not sure what flavor
In that case, a wrap is a good choice IMO. Getting back to the original maple isn't a viable option, & if you like the change in sound the wrap provides, even better :)

I think you might have just inspired another Andy thread. Oh dear ;)

Quote from Andy.."Very clean & distinctive." That's Andy's proper English, meaning, yep, that's one of a kind for sure. No one else would use that pattern." lol

I love watching English movies from around the late 1800's to Early 1900's. The Language is just so colorful. I remember one where right after a wedding, this one Gentleman was talking to one of the ladies leaving the reception and she commented,"Wasn't the bride just lovely, and he replied "yes and the brides maid were tastefully inferior" Is that color or what???

Quote from Andy.."Very clean & distinctive." That's Andy's proper English, meaning, yep, that's one of a kind for sure. No one else would use that pattern." lol

I love watching English movies from around the late 1800's to Early 1900's. The Language is just so colorful. I remember one where right after a wedding, this one Gentleman was talking to one of the ladies leaving the reception and she commented,"Wasn't the bride just lovely, and he replied "yes and the brides maid were tastefully inferior" Is that color or what???
Hahaha, you're right on there Grunt. Skilful use of the English language is a wonderful tool for conveying a negative message in a complimentary way ;)

That said, there was no such meaning when describing your wrap. I genuinely like it :)

Looks great! I have some Curly Maple Fade wrap coming in from Bumwrap. Glad to see the install went well.

The next project. Got tired of looking at the Bumble Bee Bop set, so I ordered some Bubinga fade. Snare drum first. This is a Taye Studio Maple snare. The last photo has no flash

Attachments

• IMG_3825.jpg
    IMG_3825.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_3826.jpg
    IMG_3826.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 729
  • IMG_3827.jpg
    IMG_3827.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 731

Brilliant observation. Some of us just like to communicate in layers...

I'm not sure that I like what you did to the snare but I can happily say that you've done a good job of it and if it makes you happier with it, then more power to you mate!

This is a second bum wrap job I've seen on here this week and they look amazing. I have been looking all over to buy something older that I can re wrap.

Here is the finished Bubinga Fade on the Taye Studio Maple. not the best photos. Will get them adjusted this weekend. Duncan I hope you like this one better

Attachments

• IMG_3831.jpg
    IMG_3831.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_3832.jpg
    IMG_3832.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_3833.jpg
    IMG_3833.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG_3837.JPG
    IMG_3837.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 746
Last edited:
Your snares look great! Because of this, I just ordered a wrap for my snare drum myself. Will post pics when it's done.

Here is the finished Bubinga Fade on the Taye Studio Maple. not the best photos. Will get them adjusted this weekend. Duncan I hope you like this one better

Snares look great........................the bubinga fade looks very classy..................pretty extreme makeover, coming from the "bumblebee" look.

and Mayor, I'm American, so nothing hidden, colorful, or thought provoking in my comments whatsoever...................just not that articulate

Thank you. I love watching olde British movies just to see how the language should be spoken. And I like classy, great and extreme.

Today I ordered the Bubinga Fade wrap for my 18 x 16 bass drum conversion.

Back