die cast hoops

Could someone explain to me what the advantage of die cast hoops are over triple flanged?

And whether they are woth an extra $75 on my custom kit I am about to order?

Cheers

well the regular rims kinda curl back a bit, and they are lighter. The die cast ones are heavier if im not mistaken, and the rim is just a straight edge(that is to say it doesnt curl back, it just points straight up). I have heard aswell that they may effect the tone of the drum that they are on. I forget if the die cast hoops are supposed to open up the sound or muffle it just a little bit, but i did hear something like that.

Die Cast hoops are supposedly better for keeping a drum in tune because of their stiffness; if one of the lug screws becomes loose, you won't notice
as much. I don't care for die cast hoops, because they tend to choke the resonance of the drum. I bought a set of die cast hoops for one of my
snares (hammered copper) and the stiffness of the hoops sucked all the tone out of drum. I went back to the triple flanged hoops. I tried the hoops on
a couple of the others with much the same result. I'm sure they work well in some cases or they wouldn't exist. Maybe someone else here has a good
experience to share.

Yes, I agree that you have to match the rims to the drum. I tried diecast on an old Supraphonic snare once and the drum instantly went dead. When I owned DW drums, they sound much more ringy with triple-flanged hoops, but my Starclassic Bubingas sound great with diecast hoops and too ringy with triple flanged hoops. Oddly enough, my Stewart Copeland snare, a heavy chrome plated brass shell, sounds outstanding with a diecast hoop on top and a triple flanged hoop on the bottom. Gretsch drums have always come with die cast hoops and sound great, though.

Perhaps you could experiment before you order? Or order them with diecast, and if you don't like it, you can switch back and get some money back?

I love DC hoops! They make tuning easier, tend to stay in tune longer (your results may vary), provide a great rim clicking sound (I use rims alot instead of hh or ride) and help to make a solid rim shot. They also provide a great cross stick sound for me. I have DC hoops on my Starclassics Maples and Superstar Hyper-Drives, and I would not change them out for anything. I have a DW and a Gretsch CM with flanged and I would like to swap the DW out too. I also replaced the top hoop on one of my Supras with a DC from Yamaha I had in my closet. I could not be happier. As for taking the resonance out of the drums; I don't notice that effect at all. My drums resonate like there is no tomorrow. I have heard people say that DC hoops choke drums as well, but I have not had that experience with them. I say go for it. Is it $75 for all the drums or for each? If it is for all I would check which hoops are being used, because that is cheap. Try a kit with DC for yourself before you make a decision.

I have kits with both and really couldn't tell you the exact difference in tone between the two because it would be comparing apples to oranges not being able to use the exact same drum for the comparison. I have no problems tuning either one and I also frequently touch up the tuning on either one. The one thing I would do if getting triple flange is to get the 2.3 mm (heavier gauge) variety instead of the 1.6 mm.

Triple Flange

DSC_0208.jpg

Die Cast

DSC_0087.jpg

Dennis

It's a bit of a misnomer to say that DC hoops "choke" a drum, or reduce its resonance. They don't, really; more accurately, they tend to focus the drum's resonance to a more fundamental tone with less overtones, due to the consistency of the hoop (more stiff = more "flat"). They also aid with tuning & remaining in tune for the same reason. On snares, they're especially helpful with rimclicks/rimshots. But if you like "wilder", less focused sounding drums, then 2.3 TF are the way to go. Either way, I've heard lots of drums with both types of rims resonate plenty.

They're also a good bit heavier than TF, if weight is a concern. This is the only way I imagine DC hoops would affect a drum's resonance- if there are no suspension mounts of any kind, but rather, with a mounting bracket on the shell, the added weight would put more strain/torque on the shell itself...

Last edited:
Cheers for the feedback guys, Anchor drums charge $75 per drum for die cast hoops, and $125 for wooden hoops for the snare, What effect would wooden hoops have on the snare?

Tempted to go for the die cast on the toms, but I have next to no drum shops near me that I.can try the two types out, no GC here in the UK.

I say go for it. Wood hoops on the snare would be a nice touch if you cross stick often or rimshot often. If you don't I think it would be more for looks. Your choice; your drums. That is the great part about custom. Have fun and show us pics!

I say go for it. Wood hoops on the snare would be a nice touch if you cross stick often or rimshot often. If you don't I think it would be more for looks. Your choice; your drums. That is the great part about custom. Have fun and show us pics!

indeed,
i own a snare with wood hoops,
far better than idve imagined

I'll give a plug for S-Hoops for snare drums. I have them on both of my snares (but I took them off the bottom since I didn't see any benefit). They'd even work for toms, I'm guessing but I haven't gone that route yet.

They're marketed as the compromise between triple flanged and die cast. They're stiffer than a regular 2.3 triple flange but they also have this cool bent-in-over-bearing-edge top part that acts as a stick saver and lowers the angle which you can hit the head surface - just makes the drums a little easier to play; unlike die cast which makes the drums a little harder to play because they stick up higher so you have to dig your stick into the head at a sharper angle.

Back