Ludwig Centennial vs. Ludwig Element SE Retro

Fishbones

Silver Member
Hey guys!

I'm currently rocking a Ludwig Centennial - I like the kit. But it's not the most versatile. A 20x22" kick doesn't work so well for piano trios. So I was looking at the Ludwig Element SE Retro kits in the Downbeat configuration. PERFECT sizes. Sweet finishes. Interesting shell construction. Does anyone here have an opinion about these kits? Would it be worth it to sell my Cents to purchase an Element kit? I know Elements are classified more on the beginner end of the spectrum, but I think these kits are an exception. Thanks again everybody!

I've seen them in the store, look great, haven't played them. According to what the company says, it's a more mellow sound than other woods. Another option is to cut your kick drum down to size. If you get a new kit, just do a quality check of your own on lugs, bearing edges, seams, etc.
Check if anybody has one of the kits around you and try to play one. The finishes are awesome, for sure, but the Centennials certainly look very classy...

I've never seen them in person but the Element Retro kits seem pretty cool.

However, if it is just a bass drum issue, I'd just get a second smaller bass drum for low-volume gigs and keep the Centennials. It seems silly to replace an entire kit just because one drum isn't versatile.

I've never seen them in person but the Element Retro kits seem pretty cool.

However, if it is just a bass drum issue, I'd just get a second smaller bass drum for low-volume gigs and keep the Centennials. It seems silly to replace an entire kit just because one drum isn't versatile.

I Agree - this isn't the only reason. I'm really interested in the cherry/gumwood shells and rounded bearing edges. It seems to have a pretty old school vibe about it.

I think the Element Retro kits are very interesting for those very reasons (though I have a soft spot for psychedelic red too) but I hate "either/ or" kinds of decisions.

What is your current set up with the Centennials? Would the Downbeat set up work for all of your gigs or would you end up in the opposite position if all you had was the Downbeat? To me the biggest drawback to the Elements is having only three shell packs and the lack of add ons.

I played an early 70s psych red kit in college and I'd love to recapture that look with an Element set, but none of the three packs offer the set up I want.

I think the Element Retro kits are very interesting for those very reasons (though I have a soft spot for psychedelic red too) but I hate "either/ or" kinds of decisions.

What is your current set up with the Centennials? Would the Downbeat set up work for all of your gigs or would you end up in the opposite position if all you had was the Downbeat? To me the biggest drawback to the Elements is having only three shell packs and the lack of add ons.

I played an early 70s psych red kit in college and I'd love to recapture that look with an Element set, but none of the three packs offer the set up I want.

I only play a kit with a kick drum, two snares, and a floor tom. I likely wouldn't even be using the rack on the SE. The downbeat configuration is essentially my perfect sizes - most of my gigs are with funk bands, blues bands, and jazz combos and I have a blues-rock band that I frequently play and do sessions with. These sizes seem like they would cover all grounds and fit in aesthetically in any musical context. Even if they are a bit showy, I think that they can look classy.

I haven't played the elements, But my "Downbeat" EPIC's sound really nice they are a pretty loud kit for the sizes & sing beautifully. I'm sure you won't have too many sound issues with the elements, Cherry is a pretty dense wood so they should be loud enough.

My band plays everything from Sublime too Godsmack & the EPIC's hold up quite nicely.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

Would the Downbeat set up work for all of your gigs or would you end up in the opposite position if all you had was the Downbeat?

Yep. Don't change out an entire kit for the sake of one gig. If the Cents work well for most of the stuff you play, I'd keep 'em. Just adapt your style for the piano gig. Whilst there are smaller sizes available, a 22" kick is hardly huge.

I've tinkered with both at a local drum store. Love those Centennials.....great sounding drums IMHO. I also really did like the Elements, but the colours would be a definite deal breaker for me.....just personally don't care for any of the available options. Of course, that's my issue and as you've stated they're "essentially your perfect sizes" it's well worth considering.

At the end of the day, I'd weigh up what kit would be better suited across ALL my gigs in general, not just to accomodate one.

...the kit sounds great in some settings but kind of iffy in jazz/funk/soul which is the stuff I'm playing the most. And plus it gets really old lugging a 20x22" kick into cramped bars up to 5 or 6 days a week...

Awww, you're getting rid of the centennial? I love mine and I think the toms are the most versatile I've ever had, but I sort of agree with you about the bass drum. I have a 20x24" bass with my centennial and I think a shallower depth might be more versatile. I've considered having someone chop it down a few inches because a lot of the older jazz guys used large diameter / shallow depth bass drums. Thing is, you'd have to find someone that you trust to do it right (could be scary)... but at least you'd have the smaller bass you are looking for.

Anyway, since mine is a 24" diameter, I can get away with tuning the pitch quite high and that makes it more versatile to me. I also use felt strips on the front and back skin (very thin, only about 2 inches wide right now). I find that porting a hole on the front skin, using a pillow or blanket, etc. really makes the drum sound short and thumpy for rock, but it doesn't allow the drum to breathe for the jazz, etc. Why have a skin on the the front of the bass drum if there's no air left inside to make it move? :)

Last edited:
I have the Element SE Hollywood kit in Mod Orange. They are fantastic sounding drums IMHO. You can even get a good sound out of the snare with a little tweaking which is unusual for drums in this price range.
Can't compare them to your existing kit though since I've never played one.
The cherry/gum seems to be a good shell combo.
YouTube has some videos of the Elements. Check 'em out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVqLdCJB2F4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsV0_4NFhEA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbPotUhfNL4&feature=related

Hey guys!

I'm currently rocking a Ludwig Centennial - I like the kit. But it's not the most versatile. A 20x22" kick doesn't work so well for piano trios. So I was looking at the Ludwig Element SE Retro kits in the Downbeat configuration. PERFECT sizes. Sweet finishes. Interesting shell construction. Does anyone here have an opinion about these kits? Would it be worth it to sell my Cents to purchase an Element kit? I know Elements are classified more on the beginner end of the spectrum, but I think these kits are an exception. Thanks again everybody!

I have a couple of Ludwig kits, and one of them is a Centennial. As others have said, the toms are very versatile, but the the kick is an almost ridiculous depth at 20". I hated lugging it around as well. My new kit has an old-school size 14x22 kick. I think the Element series are all 6 ply shells, and if you go with a shallow 20" kick, it'll be fine for Jazz, but it might underwhelm when it comes to Blues and Rock. I think the Hollywood configuration with the 14x22 kick would be more versatile.

Back