my home made octobans

That's right, a drier sound with quicker decay. The portnoy-sound if you know what I mean. I'm guessing pinstripes or powerstrokes would have been better. Or an evans equivalent to that ;)

Although I'm an Evans guy I'd go with Remo CS black dots. I'm pretty sure Portnoy uses those as well.

Hey Phillip, I am wondering how you did those bearing edges on the PVC: did you use sandpaper or something else?

I plan to make my own octobans real soon, but I'll make them from 6" plexiglas, so that will be another story in making bearing edges. I am in the proces of making an 8" PVC tom though, so for that the info would be usefull :).

Hey Frank,
The bearing edges were sanded, probably with a dremel (didn't do those myself...). It can be done but you need a very steady hand.

The guy who hooked me up with all the parts (found him through marktplaats.nl), he also did the drilling and sanding of the shells. I don't know him personally though. However, looking back, I could have done a better job myself when it comes to the bearing edges.

Very good work! Makes me want to make some! Cool finish as well!

I have a set of DDRUM deccabons (low pitched)and I found out the hard way, some drumheads just don't cut it.

1. Coated heads: too closed in and dry.
2. 1-ply clears: too open, not enough depth. The remo cs dots are better, but not optimum depth for low pitched set.
3. EC-1 clear= too dull and thuddy. (EC2 are worse)

For kicks, I put pinstripes on, and they do well enough to eat the rest for lunch! They are at least +6db louder with attack than the ec-1's and have decent depth.

I have some clear emperors on order (a la Mike Portnoy) and I think that 2-ply clears are going to be the ticket.

Well as I said I didn't do the bearing edges myself, but with proper tools (a dremel, maybe a lathe if you can get one) and proper patience you could copy the bearing edge design off any drum.

You can use a router with a router table to make the bearing edge. Just like the big boys do it. You could get a 45 degree chamfer or a roundover bit.
W

Great job by the way.

Hi folks,

I have two questions about octobans:

1) What is the best material in your opinion? I know that there are also steel octobans besides pvc. Of course it depend on your taste, but what do you think?

2) How do you tune your octobans? One or more notes difference among them? How much does the lenght affect the sound? Usually the one you find on the market are 2" difference one fron the other, but I see that some home made ones have lenght differences that are much higher. From what I see on the web, 2" difference=one note difference.

Maybe I asked more than two questions!! :)

cheers! :)

Back