I want to add another small tom

Defender

Silver Member
So, I've currently got the 7 piece PDP Maple Concept kit. Sizes are 8,10,12,14,16 for the toms. I'd like to add another small tom on the far left of the kit, aka, Neil Peart style.. I was thinking an 8 inch roto-tom or something similar, but I have no idea how I'd mount it by itself and I'm really quite stuck. I was watching the below video and at 4:20 mark he plays a roll all around the set starting with the smallest tom (the one that doesn't match the rest) and it sounds really good. I just really have no idea what kind of drum that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aM0hn00VO0&list=UUqIWTDpmoJzQL0usO9p36Ew

If anyone has any clue, could you fill me in and then please talk about any other options that would fit in well just before the 8 inch PDP tom?

Thanks, Defender

I have done a lot of Neil-style setups. At one point, I was using a set of LP mini-timbales with Pinstripes on them for that high-pitched sound up there. Later, I bought a 6" tom to sit up next to my 8" tom to the left of my hi-hat. It was a tough target though. Neil uses an 8/10/12/13/15/16/18 setup, and DW has never made a tom smaller than 8". You could try either of these approaches, or get another 8" tom and tune it slightly higher.

Attachments

• 200602drums2.jpg
    200602drums2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 175
  • monster2.jpg
    monster2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 179
Back