Hello, looking for a set for an intermedian

Chaoshon

Hi there, I'm playing drums for around 8 months (an hour every week), and I still haven't got a set. I've got no particular budget, but I know I need something for an intermedian,like the Basix Xenon or Oxygen (though I won't buy these sets since I don't think the brand is too famous). I'm planning on buying the drums at Guitar Center NYC. I'm not too familiar with brands yet, so I'll be glad if you'd help me with that.

The set isn't for any particular music style but just general, I haven't yet decided whether I like Rock the most or if I prefer playing Brazilian music :p ..

I don't want this set to come with cymbals, I'd like to choose those on my own (I'm guessing a couple of Zildjian, Simerna or Istanbul will do, right?), but not before I consult with the Cymbals forum.. :)

My general budget for the set is something about a thousand bucks, and with this budget I expect it to come with at least 2 cymbal-stands.

Hope you'll help, thanks.

Gretch and Mapex are definately 2 good choices, I've had 2 Mapex kits myself. I think a strong third choice would be the Ludwig Epic's, if you like the brass colored hardware.

hey man
id go with gretsch or pdp, anyways; try checking out any somehow more economical stave kit.
and if you let me give you my advice, or at least my vow, go for meinl cymbals...
its something i wish idve done

Mapex Meridians, absolutely. I had the Gretsch Catalina, which were fine. But the Mapex Meridians are better. I second the Meinl cymbals. The good ones are very good. Whatever you do, don't get cheap cymbals. They will sound crappy, no matter what you do with them. You will save money in the long run if you start out with good gear.

ok, well I've got a little problem.. my budget has been limited to around 700-750 bucks.. any good sets at that price? thanks. if it'd make a big difference, 800 will be good as well (but only if really justified). thanks.

I can also personally reccomend the Meridians. I own a Meridian Birch set and it really is a great kit. Beautiful lacquered finish, excellent hardware, really overall well-built and tune very easily.

However, I never played one but I would also advise you to take a look at TAMA's Silverstar. Those kits look fenomenal.

Oh, and please, look for used kits!!! You can get really sweet deals there!

Getting a kit is awesome. Enjoy. :)

Cheers.

ok, well I've got a little problem.. my budget has been limited to around 700-750 bucks.. any good sets at that price? thanks. if it'd make a big difference, 800 will be good as well (but only if really justified). thanks.

From $1000 to $800?, bummer.

I got my Sonor 3007 and 400 Series hardware pack for $1010 brand new, to my door.

Everything in this pic minus the cymbals (cant really see, but theres theres also a snare stand and pedal that came with the hardware pack).

finishrug004.jpg

This was the best deal on a great mid range maple kit with a very good hardware pack that I've seen and if you pay less, you'll get less.

You could go used though and probably get a decent kit for that though.

Last edited:
I know it's a bummer.. But I don't think I really need a set made of maple, isn't it for professional drum kits? If I had a budget of 2000 bucks doesn't mean I should have used it all I guess..

After all, I play an hour in a week for around 8 months, so I'm probably not even an intermedian, but more like a "beginner-intermedian". I wouldn't be disappointed if the set isn't made of maple.

Last edited:
Hey, check these out. They were on another post.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dixon-Outlaw-4-D...ht_2351wt_1465

I would say that from the looks of them, they are VERY good quality intermediate drums.

They have maple shells, 2.3 mm Power Hoops (vs 1.6 mm), great drum hardware, 20 lug kick and 20 lug snare drums (vs 16 and 8), high end heads (dont have to change heads,thats a BIG deal!).

Anyway, I wouldnt walk...I'D RUN!.

Good luck.

Edit: I cant get it to post. maybe go straight to ebay and type Dixon Outlaw. :)

PDP FS is a good birch kit for $580, and the maple counterpart, the M5, is $620. I've heard some really good things about them, especially for the price. Definitely intermediate, and good starting point that you can eventually upgrade from to the 1000 $ kits. Plus, the money you'll save gives you extra to spend on cymbals and hardware. (personally, I love Tama hardware (Roadpro HiHat stand is built like a tank, and so are my stands and Iron Cobra Jr. Double bass pedal), but Gilbrater makes amazing stuff too!)

Back