Xylophone pieces

ReemBD

Hello, I know that this is a drummers forum, but I really couldn't find any good percussion forums, so thats one thing i could use if one of you knows such forum. So the issue is really, I just can't find any fitting piece to learn to play on the xylophone. Most of the xylophone music sheets i found cost money, which i don't mean to waste, as well as searching for non-xylophone pieces on piano or anything that could be converted for xylophone. So far i've learned a few songs out of hearing, but at some cases it can get pretty difficult, and also i don't really know that many xylophone solos for my level. If any of you have an idea it'd be great, I'm currently looking for something at medium difficulty for 2mallets only, and don't mind converting a melody as well as long as it fits.

Thanks in advance, Reem

Malaguena by Ernesto Lecuona. There is an arrangement by Howard Peterson. I played it in college and I will have a HS Sr. student working on it in the fall. It's fun to play. Also there are a lot of Bach sonatas that would be good to work on.

Most of the xylophone music sheets i found cost money, which i don't mean to waste

This is going to sound rude, but: what the hell? I understand if you don't have the disposable income for it but it's not a "waste" to support artists. That hits really close to home considering I am both a percussionist and composer.

Anyways, check out Bob Becker and of course grandpappy G.H. Green, they have a huge collection of the most popular xylophone solos out there. They are popular for a reason. Dill Pickles, Log Cabin Blues, Xylophonia, all are good pieces. You can also check out TMEA region band competitions as the xylophone solos for the contest are freely available. Often, they are classic flute, violin, clarinet, etc. solos that lay out well on xylo. If you want to lay down the scratch, the Modern School for Xylophone book has a lot of solos in it and it seems to be well referenced.

I'm with Porter on this one. You have to spend money to buy music. Music isn't free - somebody wrote that and deserves compensation for it. This is why you don't easily find printed music on the internet given away for free.

Although, I would suppose since Bach is in the public domain, you could tackle his pieces written for solo violin though.

First of all, thanks for the help.
Second of all, i find it hard to believe that any of you haven't listened to music without paying for it. Being able to play it yourself isn't different than just listening to it. If the price would be 1$ per song sheet i'd buy it, but 8$+ per piece is absolutely over-priced and taking advantage of the lack of accessibility to different percussion pieces and overall percussion forum and community over the world or at least the internet.

First of all, thanks for the help.
Second of all, i find it hard to believe that any of you haven't listened to music without paying for it. Being able to play it yourself isn't different than just listening to it. If the price would be 1$ per song sheet i'd buy it, but 8$+ per piece is absolutely over-priced and taking advantage of the lack of accessibility to different percussion pieces and overall percussion forum and community over the world or at least the internet.

If I may ask for the sake of clarity - Are you:

1. looking for music that is public domain or music that people have written themselves and (of their own accord) posted for public use?

2. looking for free versions of copy-written music, where you will be getting it for free but the composer/arranger and publisher are not receiving compensation?

If it is the first option, there may be public domain sources that our member may know of. If it is the second option, I don't think this forum would be of much assistance to you since there are many people here who write and/or publish music. Even those here who don't write respect the intellectual and physical property of other artists.

Jeff

Last edited:
The piece I mentioned earlier, Malaguena, retails today for under $4. I know, because I just ordered another copy. The Bach sonatas come in a book that, when bought, will probably cost less than that individually. There is a ton of music out there that doesn't cost much money. Go to a good music store that has a sheet music department and they will be able to help you out. BTW, a lot of this is probably available on approval so you can see how you like it before you buy it.

P.S. Don't go copying it and returning the originals. That's not cricket.

Zickos thanks but malaguena is actually one of the pieces i learned by my own (oops..). Anyway i've listened to some of Bach flute sonatas and decided to learn the flute sonata in e minor,the second part(allegro). Thanks for the help guys

If I may ask for the sake of clarity - Are you:

1. looking for music that is public domain or music that people have written themselves and (of their own accord) posted for public use?

2. looking for free versions of copy-written music, where you will be getting it for free but the composer/arranger and publisher are not receiving compensation?

When I said i'm not willing to pay for music sheets, I didn't mean i expect to get it for free. I simply asked for pieces i'll be able to learn without paying for it, wether it is written for xylophone or classic music for any other instrument that can be arranged for Xylophone. But isn't it a bit redicilous considering I am able to learn some of those pieces without intending or without having to download a free copy ?.. I guess they should consider the difficulty of what they write before publishing it hehe

Back