Left Hand Single Strokes

RaYmAnBaNzA

Hey Again!

I know that quite many drummers have this problem. I am asking it still.
So, do you have some exercises or tips that i could increase my left hand single stroke roll speed. Im using traditional grip. with matched grip i could play a bit faster single strokes, but not doubles or triplets or paradiddles and so on. I can play anything else pretty fast using traditional grip, but not just simple single strokes with only my left hand. Also if I try to "burst"
with my left hand leading, it sound really sloppy and I cant play as nearly as fast as with my right hand. (If you dont know what bursting is, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LYWfpPUokc)

I use the buddy rich technique. JoJo Mayer talks about it on his DVD. The first stroke is played by rotating the wrist as normal, but opening the hand out a bit so that the first two fingers travel towards the tip of the stick, then as you turn the wrist back to the starting position, the hand closes with the extended fingers running back down the stick and causing another stroke. You basically alternate between rotation of the wrist and bounce with the fingers.

I use an old technique shown to me by an old local jazz player

triplets in trad I push one stroke with the thumb then two with the index finger

in 16ths .....two with the thumb then two with the index

all of these accompanied slightly by a wrist twist of course.....its a hybrid stroke

you can see a version of this technique in Tommy Igoes DVD Great Hands For A Lifetime

it feels very natural to me and works really well

When you are increasing the single stroke roll speed, the key point is to keep the evenness on both hands. Of course, your weak hand will always try to go out of synch. To achieve that evenness is with practise and practise does not mean for long hours...Good luck mate!

So, do you have some exercises or tips that i could increase my left hand single stroke roll speed. ])

Back