PLEASE HELP ! SO PISSED

HockeyDrummer55

I have a Pearl VMX (Vision Maple) set, and I'm happy with it but I just really need help tuning. I suck at it (I'm 16). My toms and floor tom I'm happy with but my snare is just terrible. When I do ghost notes and hit it softly it sounds as if the snares where off, giving me a tom sound. I want to make it sound crisp and sensitive. So I have a remo emperor head and on the bottom a pearl stock head.

I've seen all the tuning videos etc, nothings helped :(

Can someone just please try to explain their best on how I should tune this thing ?

I'll start from scratch if needed.

THANKYOU

Have you tried using a drum dial? Well, it sounds like it's not a matter of your tuning as much as it's an issue regarding the actual snares strands. Turn off the snare and try tightening the snare strands, pulling each side tightly (not too too tight) make sure they're centered. When you switch the snare back "on" you should hear the difference.

is that really necessary ?

No, but it's an easy approach to tuning. It sounds like you're having a snare strand issue. Like I said, it's probably not tuning. The strands can still be "tight," but they might no be tight enough when you turn the snare on. I had this exact same problem and fixed it using the method I described in my first post.

I would disagree. I actually managed to crank my snares too tight on my snare drum to the point where i actually didn't get any sensitivity whatsoever!

I was referring to the reso head, not the snares.

Heads matter son. Get an Ambassador or a G1 tuned medium-high and put a Snare-side Ambassador or a Hazy 300 on the bottom tuned a bit higher than the batter. Also, get some Puresounds; they work!

1) Look at all of bob gatzen's videos on you tube.

2) Buy good heads for both top and bottom.

3) Tune as bob says

4) Profit

Back