Need help picking out a new kit.....

trumansnare

Hey,
I am new to the forums, but im hoping everyone can help me here.

I am looking to buy a new drum kit, I am looking for a decent sounding kit with a decent price tag (around $1,000 is my price range) and a great look. Im not a beginner drummer, ive been drumming for years. But I have always had shabby drum kits with good equipment and its time to get a better drum set. Currently I have a tama rockstar 5 piece.

Ive been looking towards a 22" bass (22x18,22x20 either way). A rack tom (maybe a second rack tom) and two floor toms. (preferably decent sized floor toms 14, 16) I don't need a snare, I have a pork pie that I am really happy with. All I am looking for is the shell packs.

My problem is, finding a decent drums set for my price range, with good looks. I either find a bunch of cheap sets, or a couple nice ones with terrible finishes.

I was originally looking at a ddrum dorian ash. But the ash isn't really for my style of music/playing. (metal/somewhat technical playing style). Then I saw the ddrum AMX series. They looked alright, and for a decent price. But I have heard some bad things about them and other middle and lower end ddrums.

Ive been looking and looking and looking, and im coming up empty handed.
I really like fade, burst or solid finishes with wood grain. Black or black nickel hardware. (chrome is ok too)

If somebody could please help me out here, I would be really thankful.

hi! and welcome to the forum!
um............... about ddrum! i don't know alot about them but i do know alot of players from pearl, tama etc have moved to ddrum! most of them are playing the dominion line.
i think the bad hardware is only on the diablo and there lower lines?

anyway i would recommend the mapex pro m!
i have not played one yet but haveheard alot of awesome things about them but no bad!

do you want a maple or birch?

some other kits:

sonor force 3007 are nice sounding drums but as i amin england i don't know the average price?

pearl vision vx, vsx, vmx, vbx,

tama superstar custom

or the DDRUM AMX nice drums

but my i would get the ddrum or the mapex!!!

its up to you

elliot

You could get a mapex that is what I use and it is very good. Or If you don't mind spending around 1500 you could get a Orange County drum and percussion kit at guitar center or order it from Musician's Friend.com. You could also find a PDP for around 1000. Another thing you could do is go to a music store like Guitar center if you have one by your house, and look at the DW kits they have and if you see one you like ask how low of price you could get it for you might be able to get one in your price range.Also a higher end Tama, ddrum, or pearl.

Go to Ebay, or justdrumsonline.com (Shane is a great guy) ....

but go online,...the Pro M kits are getting blown out because they don't make them anymore,...that is your ticket right there!

The ddrum ash or maple is a good value for shell packs. If at all possible, inspect bearing edges before buying. I have an ash pocket kit and love'em. LOUD! Good head choice means everything with the ash shells, as they're ALL tone. I agree, too, that Mapex Pro-M is a super choice. (I owned a set as well in fusion size) Great all-around tone. Don't ever give up searching used or floor demo model packs; persistence will eventually turn up a screaming deal! best of luck, let us know what you settle on...

Where you from? I have a Mapex Saturn and I want to downgrade. I would consider your kit plus some money. Also If anyone knows someone in the New England area looking for a nice 5pc saturn shellpack let me know.

Alright,
Im gonna look at some mapex pro-m, see if I like them.

I really kind of want maple. But I guess birch would be fine.

I really liked the ddrum's finish and stuff. But I would not be able to try one or check for flaws (bearing edges and such) before I buy it, because my Guitar Center, or any shops around here do no have ddrum, So I would have to probably order it online.

I am from Michigan, US

Buy used. It can't be stressed enough. I have seen four piece DW kits going near the price range you are looking for now, which go for around $3 grand new. You can get amazing gear when you buy used...just be patient, check out eBay and Craig's List, used kits at local drum shops, etc. I got a gorgeous Pro M for $600 used...I know a guy who was looking for a decent, but not high-end kit, that got a PDP CX series for $250 (5-piece). You can get amazing stuff if you wait, especially with the economy being so goofy right now.

By the way, Pro-M is Maple.

Ive been looking for months on used. I can't seem to find what I want used. I either find stuff that is to high for me. Or stuff that is ugly, or too many or not enough drums. I know I should take my time and keep watching used. But I want to get a set before me and my band goes to record which is in April, so I don't have to much time.

Im still digging the ddrum AMX,
What do you guys think,
If I buy it and don't like it, I can return it withing 45 days... Should I go for it?

I really don't see what the big deal is with the ash? I'm sure you could get a great sound out of them. The amx series isn't top notch. Also you could get a used PRO kit for your price range.

I actually don't know what the big deal with the ash is lol.
I just have not had the chance to try an ash kit. Ive been to like 10 diff stores in the past week, and none of them had ash kits. I asked the dude at guitar center if he could order one so I could try it, and he just started bashing ash.... Half the people in that place, do not know what they are talking about though

I actually don't know what the big deal with the ash is lol.
I just have not had the chance to try an ash kit. Ive been to like 10 diff stores in the past week, and none of them had ash kits. I asked the dude at guitar center if he could order one so I could try it, and he just started bashing ash.... Half the people in that place, do not know what they are talking about though

Ash costs less than maple or birch, yet it has qualities that are like combining both. It's close to beech which yamaha and sonor uses.

Have you see photos of ash kits? The ash wood looks MUCH nicer than maple or birch. It has a very nice looking grain pattern like oak. Gretsch, DDRUM and GMS all have ash kits. Keller makes the GMS white ash shells.

GC sales bots are pre-programmed to knock products they don't have in stock or carry. It's a Pavlovian-money reflex they have. Ask about something you don't see in the store, Like Trick drums. Since they don't carry Trick drums for example (and have never heard them) I guarantee they will come up with a cover story. It will be a total fabrication.

"Naw, they sound metallic, what you really need is our floor kit over here..."

I wish I had 10 stores to choose from.

Seriously consider GMS' new SL series. It got Best in Show reviews for NAMM 09. Here are some pics:

gms-sl.jpg

gms-sl-jazz.jpg

If you have further questions on the sizes and finishes available contact GMS at [email protected]

Ash costs less than maple or birch, yet it has qualities that are like combining both. It's close to beech which yamaha and sonor uses.

Have you see photos of ash kits? The ash wood looks MUCH nicer than maple or birch. It has a very nice looking grain pattern like oak. Gretsch, DDRUM and GMS all have ash kits. Keller makes the GMS white ash shells.

GC sales bots are pre-programmed to knock products they don't have in stock or carry. It's a Pavlovian-money reflex they have. Ask about something you don't see in the store, Like Trick drums. Since they don't carry Trick drums for example (and have never heard them) I guarantee they will come up with a cover story. It will be a total fabrication.

"Naw, they sound metallic, what you really need is our floor kit over here..."

I wish I had 10 stores to choose from.

Yea, I was looking at a ddrum ash kit actually and it looked amazing... but I just don't know how they sound.... Do they sound good? What style of music do they go best with? Ive never been able to try one. Yea, im starting to completely hate guitar center. Every time I go in there I get crap answers. It annoys the crap out of me when they start showing you their floor models that clearly you already looked at. A few of the stores I went to were over an hour away. The one I went to, was worse than guitar center. The guy automatically assumed I was a beginner. "O well this kit right here is a real nice beginner kit, ill give it to you for a about $500" it was like a really low end ddrum. I wanted to walk out right there lol.

Cant say ive ever played a GMS either, but ill look at them

Hey,
I am new to the forums, but im hoping everyone can help me here.

I am looking to buy a new drum kit, I am looking for a decent sounding kit with a decent price tag (around $1,000 is my price range) and a great look. Im not a beginner drummer, ive been drumming for years. But I have always had shabby drum kits with good equipment and its time to get a better drum set. Currently I have a tama rockstar 5 piece.

Ive been looking towards a 22" bass (22x18,22x20 either way). A rack tom (maybe a second rack tom) and two floor toms. (preferably decent sized floor toms 14, 16) I don't need a snare, I have a pork pie that I am really happy with. All I am looking for is the shell packs.

My problem is, finding a decent drums set for my price range, with good looks. I either find a bunch of cheap sets, or a couple nice ones with terrible finishes.

I was originally looking at a ddrum dorian ash. But the ash isn't really for my style of music/playing. (metal/somewhat technical playing style). Then I saw the ddrum AMX series. They looked alright, and for a decent price. But I have heard some bad things about them and other middle and lower end ddrums.

Ive been looking and looking and looking, and im coming up empty handed.
I really like fade, burst or solid finishes with wood grain. Black or black nickel hardware. (chrome is ok too)

If somebody could please help me out here, I would be really thankful.
ABSOLUTELY buy used, you'll find plenty of these types of kits for sale as all too many younger players spend boatloads of cash getting a kit that within the year they are bored of and sell used at a deep discount just to get rid of it.

Check your local Craigslist, and eBay of course. I'm sure other members have more ideas on where to look also.

Oh man, I so hear you on this one. I had been looking for the exact same thing for months and months on end. And you're right. There is no shortage of cheap, crappy kits or super expensive kits on eBay, but finding a good used kit in that $1000 sweet spot is darn near impossible. As you say, they usually have some horrific finish, or sizes you don't want, or something else going on like parts removed/replaced or extra holes drilled in the shell. And I don't know what the deal is with craigslisters, but they very often seem to ask way too much money for used gear.

Oh man, I so hear you on this one. I had been looking for the exact same thing for months and months on end. And you're right. There is no shortage of cheap, crappy kits or super expensive kits on eBay, but finding a good used kit in that $1000 sweet spot is darn near impossible. As you say, they usually have some horrific finish, or sizes you don't want, or something else going on like parts removed/replaced or extra holes drilled in the shell. And I don't know what the deal is with craigslisters, but they very often seem to ask way too much money for used gear.

Exactly my problem :)

Back