Emmanuelle Caplette's new kit and a Toto cover

That was great! Very clean, very considered & concise. Not easy stuff either. A genuinely good drummer, who is equally impressive for what she decides not to play, as well as what she does play.

Purely a personal POV, but it would be nice to see her inject a bit of grit & dirt once in a while.

I think she needs to develop a little personality. :) She is phenomenal.

Purely a personal POV, but it would be nice to see her inject a bit of grit & dirt once in a while.
I think she needs to develop a little personality. :)

You're both right, a little bit of naughty, greasy, dirty aspect in her drumming could make a difference, she's very clean and very "polite", so to speak, but my God, she can play :)

Ahhh, She hits like a girl! :)

Bob, if I could play the stuff she does, I wouldn't mind people telling me I hit like a girl, lol.

Not the toto cover I was expecting. Actually I'd never even heard that song. But very clean playing none the less.

"Dave's Gone Skiing" is from the 1995 "Tambu" album, the first studio album featuring Simon Phillips on the drums after Jeff Porcaro's passing.

What was the cover you expected to hear? Rosanna? Africa? Hold The Line?

You guys know that that is a 16" kick drum, right? And all her youtube videos have been with a 16" bass drum. That is info straight from the Sonor rep (her Sonor rep) in Canada.
So that's sort of an Ascent Jungle kit.
I have two of the maple Jungle kits, a 3007 white sparkle kit signed by Steve Smith and a 3007 Red lacquer kit. Gig them all the time. Put a Beta52 in there and a kick port -> subs. = Nano cannon.

Neal

"Dave's Gone Skiing" is from the 1995 "Tambu" album, the first studio album featuring Simon Phillips on the drums after Jeff Porcaro's passing.
& what a superb album that is. For me, probably Toto's finest :)

You guys know that that is a 16" kick drum, right?

Neal
Really Neal? Not disputing, because I have little knowledge of their ranges, but if that biggest floor tom is a 16", the bass drum does look appreciably bigger. Not getting a full view though :( Although fairly processed, I do like the kit sound :)

She and Chris Sutherland did a clinic here on Monday. Really bummed that I missed it.

Here's something for those requesting seing Emmanuelle playing with someone...

Here's a video clip of a French canadian Artist who is making it big here in Quebec and in France.

I'm pretty sure she's the one on the recording since she went into studio with her.

Anyway watch @ 1:51 and later and look who's on drums...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtve9piqw0Q

Ah, ok Harry, I stand corrected. I stupidly assumed 14" & 16" for the floor toms. She must be quite petite too :)

I know Andy, I was surprised when I heard that all this time of watching her on YouTube , she's been playing a little 16 bass drum. But like I mentioned, that was from the Sonor rep that I got the info. Testament that a 16 can work just about anywhere.
I love it, it's like a double blind listening test.
She is petite. She's even French petite and that's extra speciale. :)
They look just right for her.

Neal

Nothing like a good old Beegees tune. Don't know IMA, but will check out other stuff.

I don't like the way she plays the drums. She's cute as a button, but she's one of a million other musicians who've mastered the art of playing by the numbers. Paint red here, paint blue here.

I don't like the way she plays the drums because she doesn't play like she means it. Yes, she knows exactly what she's doing and she's got all the required chops to do it very well, but so bloody what?

Her drumming is boring. It isn't inspired, it isn't artistic and it sure as hell isn't the blues. She's a Stepford Wife of drumming, souless and bloodless and totally without groove.

I've never seen a drummer play with such joy. Every little cymbal splash and fill she looks like she's having a ball when she smiles, almost a childlike enthusiasm. Physical beauty aside, she's talented as hell and fun to watch.

Back