The Old Drummers or the New Drummers?

Though blown away by abilities, I'm not necessarily blown away by the music created from some of the current technical giants - i.e. JoJo Mayer & Thomas Lang to name two of many I've seen.

I think this is an important point. My influences were the drummers who played the music I loved. That's the most impactful way for a a drummer to leave an impression on me. Matt Chamberlain is a good example of a player from a more recent generation who has influenced me. But not because of his amazing videos explaining his methods or hand techniques. It's because one day I realized he played on a whole bunch of tunes I loved by different artists and I discovered his playing was a big part of what I loved about the music.

The Old...The Middle...The New: who cares? they all play the music I enjoy the most...

Ian Paice - Bill Ward - John Bonham - Mitch Mitchell - Cozy Powell - Roger Taylor - Nicko McBrain - Carmine Appice - John Tempesta - Tommy Clufetos - Joe Morello - Robb Reiner - Phil Rudd...and it never ends!

through all that Moonie has probably inspired me the most throughout the years

I love the Who, I've been following Pete Townshend's solo career as well...

I've seen Pete Townshend's Deep End concert at the Brixton Academy's theater in London back in 1986, with Simon Phillips and Dave Guilmour...Wooaw! What a show...

I've got the live CD of that gig, it's the only live CD i've got with me screaming in the audience...

I love the Who, I've been following Pete Townshend's solo career as well...

I've seen Pete Townshend's Deep End concert at the Brixton Academy's theater in London back in 1986, with Simon Phillips and Dave Guilmour...Wooaw! What a show...

the Who has affected me in so many phases of my life........its like they just kept coming around on the carousel of my life

even though I was very young when he passed......Keith Moon has inspired me tremendously

I have never heard and approach to drumming like his before or since I heard him attack a drum kit

unorthodox , pure angst , sloppy , and absolutely perfect for the music he was playing

Live at Leeds has been in constant rotation on my listening schedule for a lifetime......such fire

Though blown away by abilities, I'm not necessarily blown away by the music created from some of the current technical giants - i.e. JoJo Mayer

I know what you mean...I wouldn't mind to have his hands though.

Last edited:
I like, and have liked, lots of drummers over the years.

But.......only one really "influenced" me, and that was/is Stewart Copeland.

By influenced I mean I saw him play one of the early Police gigs, and bought a drum kit the following weekend. He got me back into drumming after a 6 year layoff.

Now that's influential in anyones book. I did not try to copy his fills, or mimic his playing, but the way he swings and accents a song was a huge part oh shaping the Police sound.

I try, and usually fail, to get that Copeland feel into my playing.

I'm not blown away either...they only focus on pure amazing technique! That's all!

Though blown away by abilities, I'm not necessarily blown away by the music created from some of the current technical giants - i.e. JoJo Mayer & Thomas Lang to name two of many I've seen.

I try, and usually fail, to get that Copeland feel into my playing.

I know the feeling, the feel and groove of these incredible drummers is sometimes so high and so deep that's a life time is not long enough to be able to lay it down the way they do...

I guess there are just way too many to name.My mom turned me on to Buddy and Gene,Papa Jo Jones,Joe Morello ,Dave Tough and Louis Bellson.And I turned myself on to Ringo,Dino Danelli,John Barbata,Kieth Moon,Carmine Appice,Ginger Baker,Mitch Mitchel,Clive Bunker,Danny Serafine,Bobby Columby,John Densmore.Then in 69 and afterward,it was Bonham,Jim Gordon,Jim Keltner,Michael Shrieve,Bill Ward,Cozy Powel,Carl Palmer,Lenny White,Billy Cobham,Michael Walden,Richie Hayward.And now I guess Benny Greb,Johnny Rabb,JoJo Mayer,Mike Johnston,Billy Blade,Thomas lang,Mike Mangini,and Simon Phillips

To my ear at least,all of these guys,and there are many I left out,are musical drummers.',and can swing and groove like tomorrow is just a rumor.They also play with great taste,style and have the chops to get your attention,and make you say."what was that"?.Most have a very distinctive sound,and all of them seem to have been able to figure out when less is more,and when more is less.When you have those amazing chops,it tough to not over play,and stay out of the way.....and just listen.You have got to have great ears,and these guys do.

Steve B

Last edited:
Forgot a few couple of players in my list - Cozy Powell (esp Jeff Beck Period) and Rick Marotta in the 70s and Stewart Copeland in the 80s. Stewart really got drummers thinking about their hi hat play.

the Who has affected me in so many phases of my life........its like they just kept coming around on the carousel of my life

I was very late to appreciate The Who and Moonie. I had the Tommy album but I was turned off by the band's sloppiness for a long time.

It's only in the last few years chatting with people here and the increasing access to music via YouTube that I've come to appreciate Moonie. While my current band is a long way from The Who, I've since been playing a "Moonesque fill" that's now built into the arrangement of on of our songs. Love Moonie.

sticksfordrums said:
These lists just make me so mad.

Why get angry because people have different influences to you?

Most have a very distinctive sound,and all of them seem to have been able to figure out when less is more,and when more is less.When you have those amazing chops,it tough to not over play,and stay out of the way.....and just listen.You have got to have great ears,and these guys do

I totally agree with this, it's especially true with the sessions drummers...

Forgot a few couple of players in my list - Cozy Powell (esp Jeff Beck Period) and Rick Marotta in the 70s and Stewart Copeland in the 80s. Stewart really got drummers thinking about their hi hat play.

It's hard not to miss some, there's so many influencial players out there, I missed some myself; Ian Paice. Cozy Powell, John Boham, Ringo Starr...the list goes on.

I've since been playing a "Moonesque fill" that's now built into the arrangement of on of our songs. Love Moonie.

do you pump the kick on quarter notes while blindly flailing 32nd notes around the kit never playing both hands on the same drum hitting random crashes in this fill while using horrible technique?

all this while using your second floor tom strictly as a drink holder

:)

love love love me some Moonie as well

I'm being transparent here so please don't take this the wrong way everyone. These lists just make me so mad. I need to go for my Sunday motorcycle ride, and breakfast with my buddy, on this beautiful day, and come back with a clear head. Last nights Led Zeppelin experience put a lot of opinions in my head. I need to sort them out. Sorry for the rant.

Good grief! What's wrong? Why would this make you mad?

do you pump the kick on quarter notes while blindly flailing 32nd notes around the kit never playing both hands on the same drum hitting random crashes in this fill while using horrible technique?

all this while using your second floor tom strictly as a drink holder

:)

love love love me some Moonie as well

Whenever I play along to a Who tune ,I do find myself playing quarter notes when doing Loon fills,as well as starting my fills on a crash cymbal.Miss that guy.

Steve B

Tony Williams, Jack Dejohnette, and Max Roach have all influenced me heavily.

However, I'm constantly going through phases obsessing over the new guys - Jojo Mayer, Chris Dave, Mark Giuliana (spelling?), Questlove, etc. who have managed to do something entirely new and innovative - just like what Tony, Jack, and Max all did back in their day.

I like drummers of every kind.

Back