Problems with D'Addario...

matt6g

Hey guys. I wanted to discuss the quality of Evans Drumheads and Promark Sticks ever since their new ownership by D'Addario. Until recently, I have been a long time fan of Evans and even more so of Pro Mark. However, I started to notice that since their new ownership, the quality has diminished significantly. Promark sticks for some reason feel so much cheaper to me...there's no doubt in my mind that the wood quality has gone down. As far as Evans goes, I purchased two kick drum batter heads, one Custom Ink'd resonant, and a snare head, all of which did not fit the drum properly. They were simply too big. My question to the drummer world is: has anyone else had this problem? At this point I am so fed up with D'Addario I want to boycott them for as long as I can. Let me know what you guys think or if you've had any similar problems. Thanks!

Already a similar thread with a first-time poster coming out of the blue to criticize Evans. I'm not a ProMark user so I can't comment about the sticks.

FYI, D'Addario acquired Evans about 20 years ago - it's not a new ownership - and they've made obvious improvements in head technology. If you're not liking them now, you really would have hated them during their first 35+ years!

Bermuda

The new level 360 heads do feel like they are bigger but they are made like that.

Bit bigger so they sit pefect on the bearing edge and fit better on vintage drums. Sometimes the older heads fit tight around the drum or didnt actually fit unless you spun the head around a few times.

Never used promarks so i cant comment on them

This thread is nonsense. I have been using the level 360 heads on both my modern and vintage drums since that were released and the quality is excellent!
I just put a complete set of new G2's over G1's on my 60's Ludwig kit a few hours ago as a matter of fact. The heads are perfect as usual. The fit just like the Remo heads that I removed!
I know this kit inside and out and like most vintage kits there is some oversizing on a few edges of the drums. The same edges were slightly snug when the heads were fitted and the same edges were lose when the heads were fitted as they always are. The Evans heads fit my 6 piece vintage Lud's just like the Remo's that I removed did.
I put a complete set of Evans 360 heads os my 1950 Gretsch Broadkaster kit last mounth and they also fit just like the Remo's that I removed. I also put new 360 heads on my 2012 Ludwig kit and they fit perfectly on the modern drums.
I bought a total of 28 Evans 360 heads over the past 6 months and not one of them has had a problem.

Last edited:
I havent had any issues with the new evans heads or promark sticks, just got a 6 pack of the daddario sticks last month and theres no difference that i can tell other then there newer names there using on the models.
sticks are made from different trees, never the same tree. maybe u got a softer or crappy stock in that run of sticks. the next batch maybe be a much better tree with better quality. i have noticed that with sticks, sometimes there softer then the last batch or heavier weight than the last ones. if your really pissed call promark they will send u replacement sticks or heads for free

I recently bought an Evans G2 bass drum batter head and have to say it was (and is) perfect.

Yet another drive-by slam post.

I have found the quality of both Evans and Pro-Mark to be excellent. In fact, the customer service is great, too - I once mentioned on these boards that I had a problem with some ProMark sticks in the past, and the rep contacted ME and offered to take care of it. He did, and the current sticks I've been using are great quality.

This is just someone with an axe to grind, or worse, a competitor.

Yet another drive-by slam post.

I know, but it is a forum and people are entitled to share their experiences, if legit. Those who come out of nowhere just to 'stir up the monkey' are pretty obvious.

I don't recall where I got that phrase... I just felt like saying monkey.

Bermuda

I know, but it is a forum and people are entitled to share their experiences, if legit. Those who come out of nowhere just to 'stir up the monkey' are pretty obvious.

I don't recall where I got that phrase... I just felt like saying monkey.

Bermuda

Haha!! Sometimes you just have to call out the monkey! Which reminds me...

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,091
I take it he's been "entirely reasonable in his email correspondence with the company" too?

Anyone else get a giggle out of the fact that the two blokes who both swore black and blue that they were "more than reasonable in their communication with the company" in the other thread, were the very same blokes who tipped over and started jumping at shadows within three short posts in their correspondence with the wider forum members?

Funny stuff. Even funnier seeing Remo get a tiny bit of reprieve too......even if only for a little while. They're usually the forum equivalent of the red haired step-child.

The replies within this thread prove EXACTLY what I was talking about. Unreal.

Lifelong Remo, Vic Firth and Vater user here, my friend. I have no affiliation or sense of loyalty towards Evans, Promark or D'Addario whatsoever. But I'm able to read.....and the reactions of both yourself and the other guy spoke volumes. Despite assertions of "reason" etc.....it was evident that so called reason and level headed behaviour fell apart pretty bloody quickly in the other thread didn't it? Given the lightening speed with which you both flew off the handle and flipped your collective lids at forum members, I'm only left to imagine what your subsequent dealings with the company were like. I can only judge by what I see but needless to say, neither was a shining example of reason and even temperament.

Yeah because it's totally illogical to think someone can be professional with a customer rep and show displeasure toward people on a forum at the same time because they thought they were jumped on for posting a bad experience with a company. Which as a matter of fact was jumped on, just that they all amazingly held back what they really wanted to say. Even the so called "mod" here. Oh I've went through 1000 heads, there's just no way that this could have happened. My complaint IS legit, it DID happen and I don't give a hoot about your PRO status, who you endorse, how many heads you've been through or any of it. Just like his totally uncalled for response in this thread. How else can you talk to others who share the same interest in your hobby and ask questions about possible issues with products and a company unless they sign up and ask the damn question. Legit or not, he posted politely, used proper grammar and punctuation and didn't come off as a troll but you forum regulars just HAD to dig into him didn't you? Feel better about your life now that you put down some random person asking about possible issues with products he bought? Going to be able to sleep tonight?

You know what, screw it. You same "blokes" or what ever Aussie slang words you want to use are the same ones to jump on the OP of this thread, as you were of the OP of that other thread and me with my LEGIT complaint. There was NO REASON, NONE WHAT SO EVER to respond to the OP of this thread the way you all just did. You all are nothing but ignorant, pompous, self righteous, forum dwellers who rely on this place and your virtual friends to justify living your lives. Without this place your lives amount to squat.

Everyone one of you who jumped on the OP for his post about an issue with the company he bought products from are pathetic. I don't know how anyone could stand to be a member of this forum. You all CERTAINLY do not represent the true drumming community.

Forgive me sir. I stand corrected. You are the epitome of the "voice of reason." The very embodiment of "cool, calm and collected." "Professionalism" literally oozes from every word you've written. This post is living testament. How could I possibly have mistaken you for being short tempered and unreasonable when it's abundantly clear you're as measured as they come. The fault is definitely all mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well he was obviously right about you loosing your temper, this forum has become much more interesting as of now!
As for D'Adarrio, they're still making great strings and have only benefitted the Evans company. I think the head fitting problem is a general problem i.e. all drum bearing edges are not the same etc.

Last edited:
I originally closed this thread, but I think I'll leave it open to let the OP demonstrate that he's not just trolling.

Re PocketKrazy, it's easy to see why he'll never be a pro.

Bermuda

Last edited:
Apparently I have stirred up quite the shit storm! I'll leave you folks to it...at least I found SOME of the replies in this thread to be helpful. Thanks!

Matt, you have to understand that your timing of the separate thread was suspect. If you'd simply posted in the other ongoing thread, it probably wouldn't have created a stir.

One (now banned) member had problems with some of the other members remarks, and particularly with my comprehensive experience with Evans' heads. It's a shame that those of us who can address such questions and comments are disrespected by those who wish to just argue. One of the Evans team is here to help as well, and he gets unfairly challenged, too.

Sorry you got caught up in a touchy subject. This is a terrific forum, and I know you'll enjoy the people and the knowledge and experience they share, and hopefully be encouraged to stick around and participate.

Bermuda

Apparently I have stirred up quite the shit storm! I'll leave you folks to it...at least I found SOME of the replies in this thread to be helpful. Thanks!

Glad you got some help. Some of us who have been here a while have become suspicious of people whose first post is a rant about this or that. In the past they have sometimes turned out to have an agenda other than wanting help solving the issue, and as Bermuda said, the timing of your post made that seem likely. Forgive us old cynics if your post was in earnest. This really is a great board, and I was truthful when I said I have had great experiences with the D'Addario reps, so I hope you are also able to find a resolution.

I understand guys - I've been following DrummerWorld since 2007ish. Just a newb to the forums. I could see why my post would raise some questions. But yeah, I'm not here to bash D'Addario. I was genuinely concerned about the product. After doing a bit of research on Level 360 I kinda get what the whole deal is with that. I've been using Pro Mark sticks and even PureSound snares for about 10 years - Evans on and off for about 7...so I'm definitely not looking to ditch their products. Maybe I'll give em another chance.

I understand guys - I've been following DrummerWorld since 2007ish. Just a newb to the forums. I could see why my post would raise some questions. But yeah, I'm not here to bash D'Addario. I was genuinely concerned about the product. After doing a bit of research on Level 360 I kinda get what the whole deal is with that. I've been using Pro Mark sticks and even PureSound snares for about 10 years - Evans on and off for about 7...so I'm definitely not looking to ditch their products. Maybe I'll give em another chance.

Awesome! Glad to have you aboard. And just so you know, I'm not trying to push one brand over another. I use more Remo heads than Evans on average, but it's just a preference, not because of a quality issue.

In any case, I'm happy you aren't a troll! lol

Just as another reference point, I have 13 acoustic kits and all are loaded with Evans....normal and 360s....G2, G1 some emads....and roughly 40 snares all with hazy 300s on the bottom. I'm just sayin, but, I've had a great experience with every head. I also use Remo because I like the coated ambassador wear tendency on snare batter....so I use what I like, not just a fanboy. If Evans didn't work, I would set them free.

Also, pro mark.....imho once you pick up a shira kashi oak...747w or 5B....there is nothing else that feels so good and no going back. That's my subjective preference and the quality has always been outstanding.

Back