The 20" shallower bass drum, not as easy to find as I thought

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I am going through a taste change since buying that new Sonor players kit with the 20 x 12 bass drum. I am in the market for a kit with a 20 x 14 or 16 bass drum. The 12" depth on the Sonors is great for a really small space, but I want a slightly deeper 20" drum for my regular gigs.

Anyway, they are just not as available as I would like. It's fairly easy to find a 20 x 18, 20 x 17.5, 20 x 20...but the shallower depths..there's not a big selection. I could use some suggestions.

I don't want to gig 70's Luds, they're out. I don't like the hardware and the edges aren't even enough for my needs. I'd do 80's and after Luds if I could find what I want. I'm looking for a more modern built 20 x 14 or 16 with a straight shell. Preferably WMP, but that makes it even harder to find. Silver sparkle would work too. Sure I could get some Classic Maples but I'm looking to get a bass, 2 racks and a floor for around 600 or so used. I don't want to drop a lot of money.

But yeah the 20" bass drum...I'm really liking the midrange punch they have. Generally speaking I play with a heavy bass drum sound, and the 20" tone just sits better with the band I'm in. Plus it makes my racks are lower which makes the kit so much easier to play.

But I am unpleasantly surprised that 20" bass drums in the shallow depth aren't as available as I thought they would be. Almost any brand would do, it just has to be straight shelled, 14 or 16" deep, preferably WMP or SS. Any suggestions?

I would definitely consider getting Keller or Vaughncraft shells and making my own kit. Can anyone steer me towards a nice WMP wrap that looks like the vintage Lud WMP?

call Steve Maxwell
630-865-6849 cell

he will either have what you need in stock or be able to get it for you no doubt

Oooo thanks Tony, good tip. I will run my requirements by him and see what he can do. Awesome suggestion.

Left a message, dropped your name. Interested to hear what he says.

Edit: Steve called back, and while he doesn't have anything in stock that fits the bill, he said he will be keeping his eye out for me. By his own admission, if 70's and older drums are out, that size, while out there...is just not that readily available on the used market, especially in that color.
There's no rush, it's not even a necessity. But I am definitely on the prowl for an 80's and newer matching WMP set with a 20" shallower bass drum. If anyone knows of such a set for sale, there's a cape in the deal for you lol.

Last edited:
Hmm just came across a brand new Yamaha Gigmaker for 399 includes free shipping. 20 x 16 kick plus 12,13 racks and a legged 16 floor, plus a snare. Silver sparkle. Price is perfect, size is right, and the finish works. I can't see any good reason not to buy these, can you?

Right now I have Gerald Heyward, yes THE Gerald Heyward... looking for a set w/ my specs for me. He works at my local GC when he's not touring. Really nice guy, very real and helpful.

I'm glad you started this thread. I have been wanting to rebuild my 63' Slingerland kit with the 20X16 bass drum. I want to add modern hardware ie new spurs and create a virgin bass drum, etc.
Now reading how hard it is to find that size bass, I really really want to do this.

Maybe a drawback to the Yamaha gigmaker is the basswood / poplar shells. They may not have a nice warm tone, if that is what you like.
I think you should play a set before you buy them. Although you can't beat that low price !

My cheapy Sonors Players kit has mystery wood (the badge says "selected hardwoods") and I really like the tone. I'm not that hung up on the wood type, it's the sizes that are non negotiable. The "cheaper" woods are a little softer it seems, and to my ear the softer woods have nicer lows. Nothing wrong there.

Price is perfect, size is right, and the finish works. I can't see any good reason not to buy these, can you?

I just don't think they'll sound very good. I'm noticing that my stage custom sounds kinda flat in a live setting. Driving home after a gig tonight, I had the thought that maybe pro drums are needed more on stage than in the practice room.

Have you looked at getting a drum cut down?

I just don't think they'll sound very good. I'm noticing that my stage custom sounds kinda flat in a live setting. Driving home after a gig tonight, I had the thought that maybe pro drums are needed more on stage than in the practice room.

Have you looked at getting a drum cut down?

Your SC's sound flat in a live setting? From the throne or is that from listening to a recording?

I pulled the trigger on the gigger kit so we shall see. I'm not one to cut bass drums down. I don't have a deep 20 to cut down anyway. The only thing I compromised on was I wanted WMP, but that severely limits my choices. Silver sparkle is a nice finish under lights, they become whatever color the lights are. I'm completely confident that I can make the drums sound satisfying to me. Plus the price is terrific.

Larry:
I'm sure with your experience with drums you will get this new kit to sound great !

One of the things I have learned on this forum is; if a drummer wants to buy a new kit, all you can do is make a few comments then stand aside so that you don't get knocked down as he runs out the door on his way to the music store...... LOL

Being a fan of 20's I've hunted for 20 x 16 and 20 x 14 for a couple years for an orphans set. If post-70's...Gretsch held on to this size through the 80's and 90's, also Premier...

but the most common recent producer of 20 x 16 and in quality is Taye. Studio and Pro X series. Check e'm out,

the need for WMP or Silver Sparkle will be the very limiting factor, but there's always a chance. Taye will have a 'Marine White' ..... something that resembles WMP.

Hmm just came across a brand new Yamaha Gigmaker for 399 includes free shipping. 20 x 16 kick plus 12,13 racks and a legged 16 floor, plus a snare. Silver sparkle. Price is perfect, size is right, and the finish works. I can't see any good reason not to buy these, can you? ....

.... The "cheaper" woods are a little softer it seems, and to my ear the softer woods have nicer lows...

...I pulled the trigger on the gigger kit so we shall see...

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these. I agree about those softer woods. They have a darker, warmer sound to my ears, but might not project or carry as far (I think). I'm sure they can be made to sound just fine though.

I've looked at them a few times, and came close to getting a set. Main thing that stopped me was the differences in hardware from the Stage Customs I already have.
Things like the bass drum tom mounts, spurs and so on.
Bo tossed the Gigmaker idea around when he was looking for a wrapped gigging kit that could take some abuse. But he decided on something else - I forget what - ha ha.

There was a thread here from someone who cut down a Stage Custom bass to 14" depth.
He did a good job, it looks just right, and it got me to thinking it might be a good idea.
I haven't done it yet though.

Being a fan of the older look and shallower bass drums I have become a bit of a fanatic with slicing kick drums down. As a representative of the 14 crew I feel I should throw my $.02 into this mix.

I have found that it is much easier to find settle for everything you like in a bass drum, wrap, diameter, brand and opt for a 20x18 or a 20x20. Then take it to your local drum-guy and have them slice it down to a 14" depth and re-do the edge. If you go for a longer kick then it will be a quick snip of the batter side, re-do the edges and re-drill for the batter side lugs.

Both of my kits have a bass drum in a 14" depth that used to be othwerwise. A 24" Yamaha that used to be 17" deep and a 20" Drumcraft that used to be 18" deep. Sounded like crap at that depth, now it sounds great.

There was a thread here from someone who cut down a Stage Custom bass to 14" depth.
He did a good job, it looks just right, and it got me to thinking it might be a good idea.
I haven't done it yet though.

I recently had a Yamaha BCA bass drum cut from 18" to 14" depth and now it's perfect, exactly what I wanted. The only potential issue with this kind of thing is if you mount toms on the drum--the cut comes from the batter side so the bracket is closer to the player. I mount mine on a rack or stands so it's a non-issue for me.

Jason

BAM > http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=drums&sid=743

Doesn't meet the color needs, but this caught my eye when it came out fairly recently.

They would work but I don't like the 5 lug tuning on the racks. It's a dealbreaker.

Being a fan of 20's I've hunted for 20 x 16 and 20 x 14 for a couple years for an orphans set. If post-70's...Gretsch held on to this size through the 80's and 90's, also Premier...

but the most common recent producer of 20 x 16 and in quality is Taye. Studio and Pro X series. Check e'm out,

the need for WMP or Silver Sparkle will be the very limiting factor, but there's always a chance. Taye will have a 'Marine White' ..... something that resembles WMP.

I don't want to spend a lot. I'm undergoing a paradigm shift. I get almost as much satisfaction in getting a less than pro kit to sound pro, compared to playing a pro kit. Good tone does not have to cost a fortune.

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these. I agree about those softer woods. They have a darker, warmer sound to my ears, but might not project or carry as far (I think). I'm sure they can be made to sound just fine though.

My Sonor Players kit really impressed me with the lowness of the toms. It feels funny to get nice tone for cheap. I kind of like it :)

Being a fan of the older look and shallower bass drums I have become a bit of a fanatic with slicing kick drums down. As a representative of the 14 crew I feel I should throw my $.02 into this mix.

I have found that it is much easier to find settle for everything you like in a bass drum, wrap, diameter, brand and opt for a 20x18 or a 20x20. Then take it to your local drum-guy and have them slice it down to a 14" depth and re-do the edge. If you go for a longer kick then it will be a quick snip of the batter side, re-do the edges and re-drill for the batter side lugs.

Both of my kits have a bass drum in a 14" depth that used to be othwerwise. A 24" Yamaha that used to be 17" deep and a 20" Drumcraft that used to be 18" deep. Sounded like crap at that depth, now it sounds great.

This is a take the bull by the horns approach. Much respect. I don't want to spend a lot the first time out. I want to see how I like the 20" drum over time before committing to a more expensive set. I would probably get Keller shells and go that route since the majors don't have exactly what I want at the price point I want to pay. If my Sonor Players kit had a 2nd rack, I would probably just use that.

They would work but I don't like the 5 lug tuning on the racks. It's a dealbreaker...

Ah, gotcha. I was in the market for a set with a 14x22 bass drum a year ago and I feel your pain. It pretty much got down to a Ludwig Classic Maple or the Yamaha Live Custom I ended up getting. I'm pleasantly surprised that Yamaha offers 14" deep bass drums on this line (and the hybrid custom too, I think.)

But anyway, that Gretsch Catalina is the only one in that price range I can think of right now with a 14x20. I'll keep thinking about it, though. :)

Back