Auditioning for another band

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
I must be nuts, but I got an offer to audition for another band and am seriously thinking of doing it. The classic rock and blues band I have been associated with since about May or June of last year decided to take a break over the Christmas holidays, starting about the second week of December. Nothing wrong with that, but I believe these boys are really enjoying themselves. We haven't gotten back together since our holiday hiatus. It's now almost the end of January. Only problem is we were just on the cusp of everyone feeling warm and fuzzy about gigging; we had 12 songs out of about 55 we wanted to polish up and everyone was excited about playing out.

When I've sent emails asking if we're going to practice "this" weekend, someone always has unexpected work, family things to take care of, sick, or working on the latest vintage car restoration and can't make it cuz they are out picking and pulling in a salvage yard someplace. Okay fellers...I get it...life happens...it's cool...no worries...just let me know when we're ready to begin again....

So as I was explaining my predicament to a friend on FB who plays keys and guitar in several popular local bands he hooked me up with a friend of his who has a 50's, 60's, and 70's variety band that plays the country club and corporate circuit and suggested I call him since he's in need of a drummer.

Long story short, I called this guy Friday morning and we hit it off immediately. We know some of the same people. He emailed me a set list for me to look over and call him late next week to give him the thumbs up or thumbs down if I want to audition.

I soon came to the conclusion that if I want to up my drumming game and start playing better rooms, I'm going to need to do this audition. BUT to be honest, there are several songs on his set list that sorta bother me. As in I'm not too sure I can pull them off decently. On of those is "Rock and Roll" by Zepplin. The intro and what Bonzo did on that song sorta gives me the willies. (I've heard that song 1000's of times but never really studied the drum part.)

But as in anything else, I need to calm down and break these songs into digestible chunks and practice only sections at a time until I'm comfortable then put them together and burn them in my memory.

My wife is very encouraging and telling me to calm down, get practicing and just "go for it...what have you got to loose?"

So...this audition journey begins....

Want to be a better musician? Go get a gig that kicks your butt a little. Are you a man or a mouse? :)

But as in anything else, I need to calm down and break these songs into digestible chunks and practice only sections at a time until I'm comfortable then put them together and burn them in my memory.

Although this would seem to be the right approach, it's probably not. There are lots of songs, and the band might play some tunes a bit differently than the recording. Learn to make charts, and transcribe yourself any beats, fills, or breaks. Then, read them as you're playing them, and read those charts in rehearsals. Make any changes or notes in rehearsal, and then read those charts on the gig like a pro. Better to read a chart, and play the right thing for every song, then rely purely on your memory, and make more mistakes than you need to.

As for the parts you find difficult to play (the Rock and Roll intro, for example) -- transcribing it yourself will deepen your understanding of it, and help you to perform it more confidently.

If you need any help, PM me!

Back