Mike Mangini on Discovery Channel!!!

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
This video was posted already but I didn't think the thread title "Great video" really conveyed just how crucial it is for every drummer to watch this video.

It is a video of my teacher, Mike Magnini, on Discovery Channel's Time Warp series. They film him under high speed cameras and then slow it down for us to see what's really going on. It's awe-inspiring to see his level of muscle control and it shows how one can tense certain muscles while relaxing others.

It's also cool to see how head and cymbals react to getting hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Gxut0odyc

Special thanks to Fussion, who originally posted this video.

I love that line, he relies on the larger muscles to do the work. to avoid injury. This is very important.

Yeah, I discovered that recently too, awesome. The other timewarp stuff is impressive too.

This video was posted already but I didn't think the thread title "Great video" really conveyed just how crucial it is for every drummer to watch this video.

It is a video of my teacher, Mike Magnini, on Discovery Channel's Time Warp series. They film him under high speed cameras and then slow it down for us to see what's really going on. It's awe-inspiring to see his level of muscle control and it shows how one can tense certain muscles while relaxing others.

It's also cool to see how head and cymbals react to getting hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Gxut0odyc

Special thanks to Fussion, who originally posted this video.

Yeah, I watched the video yesterday. The cymbal and snare head were amazing but not as much as Mangini's control. He played in that insane speed with his stick always at exact height. And when he moves around the kit, sticks hit always at same spot. Extremely precise moves and total accordance with physics allows him to do what he does.

Jeff, some year ago you said that you could ask Mr. Mangini about his approach to ''whipping and pupping'' motions in Moeller. Did you asked him about that? If not, may I ask you to do it?

What a great watch! I love seeing Mangini breaking things down...... Using the big muscles via the little ones is a good key to remember. Tiger Woods works on the same thing in golf.

Wow...

Excellent class, there! Wish I could have attended that science/physics/drum demonstration.

Way to go, MM!

Nice...

;-)

I still can't believe that drumhead footage. Totally amazing, same goes for mangini's playing.

That is cymbal thing is nuts! Looks like its a big, flimsy piece of paper or something!

Yeah, I watched the video yesterday. The cymbal and snare head were amazing but not as much as Mangini's control. He played in that insane speed with his stick always at exact height. And when he moves around the kit, sticks hit always at same spot. Extremely precise moves and total accordance with physics allows him to do what he does.

Jeff, some year ago you said that you could ask Mr. Mangini about his approach to ''whipping and pupping'' motions in Moeller. Did you asked him about that? If not, may I ask you to do it?

Mike isn't a "Moeller guy". He can do anything that Chapin or JoJo can do with just formal wrist technique.

Nowadays, the word "Moeller" has become almost holy but there are some incredible drummers that think its no big deal. Joe Morello and Mike Mangini both feel that the Moeller motion is overrated and that they can actually play faster more precise patterns using formal technique. I know because I've studied with both of them. Joe himself met Moeller and couldn't stand the guy.

Before all the Moeller advocates start freaking out on me, let them call Mike and Joe and tell them that they don't know what they're talking about.

There are many paths to enlightenment, grasshopper.

Awesome! Loved the video!
Indeed my favourite drummers! and he's not only fast. He can also be very musical! ;)

Awesome! Loved the video!
Indeed my favorite drummers! and he's not only fast. He can also be very musical! ;)

Great clip. Boo McAfee (from WFD) told me that Mangini was going to be on Discovery a couple of days before Thanksgiving so I'm glad everything worked out. It's very well done. I've always thought that it was important to use the bigger muscles and not the let the little muscles do all the work - it's more likely you'll hurt yourself in the process.

Thanks Jeff and Fussion,

I didn't catch it the first time. Great video. The snare head effect I had seen before, but the cymbal hit, I had not. Amazing video.

I watched it over again about four times and Mike's stick hit on the cymbal is by no means overly strong. Amazing how the cymbal gives.

Graze Molto

That cymbal thing looks fake. It's so bizarre to think of your cymbals flexing that much.

Thanks for that link. Too amazing.

I just saw this video for the 1st time today. (Since access was blocked overseas)

Anyway, the drumhead flowing like liquid and the insane flexing of the cymbal was amazing!

This high speed stuff also proves that when extreme talent meets excellent technique backed by diligent and effective practice, records can fall. His accuracy was a goal drummers should strive for.

Back