Would you buy this kit?

I would definately go give them a look over and check them out at that price...and probably end up buying them

It depends on what you would use them for, but to answer your question, no, I would not buy them.

That mounting system is a total drag, where you see the toms, that's how they go--that spread apart.
They may still tilt up and down a little (if it still moves and holds), but that's basically all the adjustment you'd have.

Unless you are a fan of 70's sounding drums (little tone with a lot of attack, or really flat, or damped down to a thud), I'd look into a different kit.

Those kind of drums had their day, but I never found that type of sound appealing at all.

For a players kit, great start. I'd opt to make them 2 headed. Easy enough to score more Slingerland lugs and rims, and double head them. They probably have a rounded bearing edge on them already. Just take off the metal protective ring. The price is certainly right.

Maybe if the toms were closed and it had a 24 or 26" BD, but that's just me. I bet it would be great for that vintage 70s sound though.

For $250 those are better shells than you get from pulse, cb, basix or any other mystery wood entry level kit.

For $250 those are better shells than you get from pulse, cb, basix or any other mystery wood entry level kit.

I agree. It's worth it just for the shells and you can add your own bottom lugs.

But I suspect that's a scam, not real Craigslist posting. The toms aren't at extreme angles and the text has correct spelling and informed observations about the condition. If it were a real Craigslist ad, it would say, "Nice set, bunch of different size drums, no shiny things to hit, missing thingys on the bottom that you hit, I've moving to an apartment and I don't have the space, etc. ..."

I agree. It's worth it just for the shells and you can add your own bottom lugs.

But I suspect that's a scam, not real Craigslist posting. The toms aren't at extreme angles and the text has correct spelling and informed observations about the condition. If it were a real Craigslist ad, it would say, "Nice set, bunch of different size drums, no shiny things to hit, missing thingys on the bottom that you hit, I've moving to an apartment and I don't have the space, etc. ..."

"Fore sayle: drum kit wif no simbols. Snaire, toms and teh base drum inklooded. They have one hed cuz they wur made that way. I needz munny yo, so plz bye dem."

Last edited:
I think it really depends on your budget, and as someone already mentioned, you may have to add additional hardware to the kit which = extra cost. If you are strictly hovering around the $250 range, the shells may be worth it. If you are able to spend more, but are just pondering this kit to save some money, I would opt to spend more on a Gretsch Catalina Maple. A 6 piece shell pack can now be had for $500 which is an absolute steal.

In a way, I did buy it! Or at least, one almost identical to it. The only difference is that mine has a 22" bass drum. These are great sounding 3-ply mahogany/poplar/maple shells and well worth the effort to bring them back to life, IMO. As harryconway said, the drums already have finished bearing edges on the bottom, so all you have to do is take the trim rings off and add the lugs.

I just wanted a 12/16/22 kit, so I used the lugs from the 13 and put them on the resonant side of the 12, then bought 8 more lugs to finish off the 16. I used stick-chopper hoops on the toms and a Ludwig Vibra-Band tom mount that I already had to mount the 12" tom.

Here are the before and after pics for mine.

HTH!

BEFORE:
2758717552_6459a9b60e.jpg

AFTER:
2814882500_5ab05ac1d8.jpg

2814883040_c7a3c3baee.jpg

Wow man, wow! What an amazing job, that's a seriously sweet kit.

For a players kit, great start. I'd opt to make them 2 headed. Easy enough to score more Slingerland lugs and rims, and double head them. They probably have a rounded bearing edge on them already. Just take off the metal protective ring. The price is certainly right.
Brilliant! And great to see the example by mikesdrums. It went from a kit that I had no interest in to one I completely covet. Absolutely beautiful job mikesdrums!

Here are the before and after pics for mine.

Very nice job! I find the set was already very interesting before your intervention, but now it is really very very elegant!

May I ask you why you did not restore the 13" tom like the other ones? Even if you wanted to have a 22 - 12 - 16 set, you would have now one more tom which you could use in some situation.

"Fore sayle: drum kit wif no simbols. Snaire, toms and teh base drum inklooded. They have one hed cuz they wur made that way. I needz munny yo, so plz bye dem."

DMC was correct, and trkdrmr, well...I just loved that post, so LMAO or whatever you call it these days. : D

Back