How do you feel about drum offs or drum battles?

I love listening to Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich going at it!!!

I'm not a big fan of two (or more) players being pitted against one another (beauty is in the ear of the beholder), but I don't mind a challenge that brings out the best in the competition, for sure.

There's Art Blakey and Ginger Baker. Art, Elvin and Max. Dave Weckl, Vinnie and Steve Gadd.

All entertaining games but not even close to giving me the enjoyment I had from their music.

Like Anon said, for the sake of entertainment, with big names they're great to watch. But if you were talking about things like the Guitar Center drum-offs or the Hit Like a Girl contest and other things like that, not so much.

To me, instruments ultimately are supposed to be working in concert together, united for one cause..... The song. Any type of virtuoso type playing just doesn't do it for me. While it can certainly be impressive, ultimately it does nothing for the common language of music for me.
It's more of a phrase rather than a language. Not sure if this makes sense to people. Obviously others may feel different. Some feel Bozzio speaks a certain language. I just turn him off.

In the context of entertainment and personal motivation - both the contestant and audience member who's excited by the performance - I think they're fine. I've seen some absolutely amazing drumming skill at the GC and Sam Ash competitions. But if anyone takes the process too seriously, there can be some real harm done depending whether they win, or how badly they lose.

Competitions are are just that... they're not auditions, and there's no career waiting for the winner. I'd never wanna be the guy who got a gig because I won a contest, and I wouldn't want to be in a band where someone was hired for that reason. There's too much explanation and stigma connected with it.

It's all just for fun, congrats to the winners who get some free drums and more, and also to the losers who just get a t-shirt and 4 minutes in the spotlight. Most of them can drum circles around me, and in the end, that doesn't bother me or change my career.

Bermuda

They are great fun to watch and participate in and should be for entertainment purposes only.
That is what they are intended to be.

I guess that I would rather have them than not. If they weren't "allowed", that would not be as desirable IMO. I learned a great way to abuse my little 10 inch splash by watching a guy at a GC drum off totally abuse his. I loved the effect. I totally stole that tactic from him and it's served me well. So yea, it's better to have them, than for them to be "not allowed" lol.

Those things irritate the h_ll out of me. Drumming is not an athletic event. In most musical situations you're not getting paid by the note. If people get something out of it then that's great but I'd rather hear two drummers trading off ideas. Not trying to outrace one another.

Those things irritate the h_ll out of me. Drumming is not an athletic event. In most musical situations you're not getting paid by the note.

I can see why you have a problem with it - you are trying to apply a "musical situation" to the contest, and of course, you can't. As I have stated, contests and drum-offs are not auditions. They're not about musicality, or playing for songs, or real-world drumming.

When I said I've seen some "absolutely amazing drumming skill at the GC and Sam Ash competitions" note that I did NOT say amazing musicianship.

Any attempt to compare what goes on in contests with what drummers do in band situations, just results in trying to defend musicality by putting down the contest.

But when I said that the contestants can't take it too seriously, I meant that believing the contest has any value in terms of musicianship, being in a band, or that a win or loss carries any weight in the real world, is where the real problems exist.

They're just contests, and should not be confused with reality by the contestants, or those of us on the outside looking in.

Bermuda

Hey if you win, I think contests like these do serve to broaden a persons reputation. Isn't that the way Tony Royster Jr. got his kick start?

Bermuda's right, it's drumming for drumming's sake, kind of in isolation. I do admire soloing skills because mine are kind of weak. I'm more about groove and providing the others what they need to shine, but if a drummer can't do a decent solo, then they aren't well rounded either. So soloing skills are something that need to be addressed. Drummers do get thrown solos, sometimes at a moments notice too, so contests like this aren't totally irrelevant. I attended 1 GC drum off, as part of the audience, and yea, it was enjoyable seeing the different peoples approaches. Entering one myself? I simply do not have the confidence in my soloing skills to enter one. If I felt I could solo pretty good, I'd enter, why not?

I actually think that I would do better soloing in a situation like this, where there is no song form to adhere to, no dancers to keep dancing. The time does not have to be kept, there's freedom to create whatever. My biggest problem soloing is keeping the song form intact, and keeping the time moving along. My brain can't solo and count out the form at the same time yet. One interferes with the other. Some forms I can, because they're pretty easy, others, not so easy. Someday I will develop that ability.

Hey if you win, I think contests like these do serve to broaden a persons reputation. Isn't that the way Tony Royster Jr. got his kick start?

A couple of winners did go on to enjoy some notoriety as drummers, but not because they announced "hey, I'm a winner" and sat back and waited for the phone to ring. They made the most of their situation, which is what we all try to do.

Where are the winners of all of the other drum-offs? If the contest has such a positive effect on careers, why haven't we heard from them again? It's because they didn't go out and promote themselves like everyone has to do in order to get noticed.

The fact that Tony Jr. and... hmmm, I don't recall the name of the other person... are out there working has more to do with them, not the drum-off.

Again, it's separation of the competition and reality. Let's not try to intermingle the two.

Bermuda

GC Drum Off and Hit like a Girl are only small bits of the social networking that need be done to put yourself out there. If you enter and just have to win, then you are in trouble. As Bermuda said, if you win, good, but don't expect that one exposure to cause the phone to ring. Use it as a stepping stone. If you lose, use the experience as a learning tool or critique and move on. They are indeed competitions and in my view should be judged by pros and not by gaining or begging for votes as in the Hit Like a Girl program. Votes by your friends mean almost nothing. Spend the time taking lessons, then network yourself in as many circles as possible.

There's Art Blakey and Ginger Baker. Art, Elvin and Max. Dave Weckl, Vinnie and Steve Gadd.

All entertaining games but not even close to giving me the enjoyment I had from their music.

True on both count Grea, while it is enjoyable to watch big name drummers battling off on some stage, it never comes close as the music they've been playing with their respective bands or artists.

I take those battles for what they are, fun and a celebration of our instruments, with no winner or loser.

Like these fine performances from Gavin and Simon, there's no contest or battle between these 2 phenomenal drummers, just pure fun, creativity and showmanship with a touch of excellence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6YooxOTsus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPf39uh1Mdk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Yx41LSmXI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV1Arl7Z2Ls

Like Anon said, for the sake of entertainment, with big names they're great to watch. But if you were talking about things like the Guitar Center drum-offs or the Hit Like a Girl contest and other things like that, not so much.

The competing side of some contests is simply ridiculous, like in many TV programs these days, how can you seriously pick up a winner (or a loser for that matter), playing an instrument or singing is so subjective.

The only positive aspect is that some drummers will find motivation and inspiration by participating in such contest/battle, I just wish it was coming from music and not from a competing POV.

Also, winning a drumming contest is not a free ticket to become a professional musician, it looks impressive on your musical CV, but weight almost nothing when it comes down to play music with a band and/or for an audition.

the latest GC drum off winner Juan Carlito Mendoza is a local guy
he is using his new found local fame to do some really good things in the community

a world of exposure, opportunity, and endorsements, have recently come his way and he seems to be taking appropriate advantage and doing all the right things

he really is a great guy

as the band director at William C. McGinnis middle school here in NJ he is all about the kids and his community

although these competitions are not my cup of tea and I generally don't enjoy chop fests.....I love seeing a guy like Juan get this national exposure a humble giving exceptional player such as himself deserves

If some guys want to drum off on their own time, that's fine. Just don't drum off any where near me. Two guys drumming off to each other is just weird if you ask me.

If some guys want to drum off on their own time, that's fine. Just don't drum off any where near me. Two guys drumming off to each other is just weird if you ask me.

Quite. Fnar fnar.

Drum offs? Just a bit of fun, but meaningless. Music is not a competition.

It is competitive, but more of an entertainment source, than a contest. I think we all are aware that the industry is competitive, but not a battle of the bands to make money. ESPN will not be adding Monday Night Drum offs.

Back