Your ideal drummer/the drummer you aspire to be

SheLovesMyDrums

So fellow drummers, what would be your ideal drummer/the drummer you aspire to be? It could be in terms of characteristics or in terms of drummer comparison or whatever you want it.

My ideal drummer would be the grooves and speed of Matt Halpern, with Gavin Harrison's fineness, precision and musicality, mixed with Chris Coleman's brain :p That's the drummer I want to be.

So fellow drummers, what would be your ideal drummer/the drummer you aspire to be? It could be in terms of characteristics or in terms of drummer comparison or whatever you want it.

My ideal drummer would be the grooves and speed of Matt Halpern, with Gavin Harrison's fineness, precision and musicality, mixed with Chris Coleman's brain :p That's the drummer I want to be.

Me..., 20 years ago.

every drummer/musician should aspire to be the player that others desire to play with

that is the true definition of musical success

20% Neil Peart
20% Bernard Purdie
20% Steve Smith
20% Buddy Rich
10% Dave Weckl
10% Me

I really like the power of Grohl, so I guess I aspire to bring that power into my playing. Stephen
Perkins has a really cool feel that I like, so I aspire to have that feel in my playing. But I really like being me, so I really aspire to be me with those traits in my playing.

I guess I am basically saying. I need to practice.

When I was younger, as much as I admired other drummers, it always came down to wanting to play like Deen Castronovo, but with the versatility of Greg Bissonette.

Not just the chops, or grooves, but just the energy that comes through the music when they play.

Right now I'd settle for being the drummer I was in my early 30's, with energy I had when I was in my early 20's.

I'd love to be able to grasp what these four gentlemen have mastered stylistically. Then I feel that the kinds of players I aspire to play with will desire to play with me.

Stanton Moore
Steve Jordan
Mitch Mitchell
Al Jackson

For me, right now, it would be Benny Greb. Amazing chops and very musical.

The groove of Bonham, the laidbackness of Ringo, Stewart Copeland's hi hat technique...and Animal's enthusiasm.

I would like to be me... 100% me :)

No it's not an ego trip, I would like to be able to do/play whatever's going through my brain, at any time, any place, any day and with consistency... it hasn't happen yet and I doubt very much that it will ever happen...

... of course, over the years I've been influenced by many, many drummers and musicians, it's what makes you who you are, musically... but if I could do whatever I'm hearing in my head and transcribe it to the kit physically, I'll be very happy.

Not that I want to be a clone of him but, in the last few years, Marco Minneman has truly transcended the instrument. I have never seen such a blend of facility, excitement, joy, musicality and power as I have seen from him recently.

I wouldn't even say that he's my "favorite" drummer but I feel he is exactly where he wants to be. That is what I aspire to.

Somewhere along the lines of Benny Greb, Derek Roddy, Gavin Harrison, Mike Johnson and of course Buddy Rich.

The best "me" I can be. It took me a long time to let go of the desire to be able to get to something that I wasn't capable of. Once I let go of that self endured pressure everything changed for me.. I am not capable of being the level of Dave Weckl or Steve Gadd. I can only be me.

What Anthony said is colossal. Being the player that others can rely on, that call me first, and authentically enjoy working with me because of my personality and musical contributions is an enormous driver.

Nice thread :)

My mix would be the style and flow that Dave Weckl has, with Jojo Mayer's technique, and Tomas Haake's sense of rythm and absolute rawness.

Back