Review of new 7x14 edge snare drum

cdrums21

Gold Member
I was looking for a new snare and did some research on DW snares since I recently purchased a DW kit with the VLT and X shell technology that sounds really, really sweet. I play a variety of music, but I wanted a loud and agressive drum for a rock situation that matched my kit. I had heard about edge drums, did some research and read reviews...heard them live and on tape and really wanted one. So, I bought one this week.

To say the edge snare drum let me down was an understatement. I had it all week and really worked on it with dfferent heads and tunings to try to get it to sound good. I was really deflated after playing it last night and I don't understand why they get the reviews they do. This is only one man's opinion, but this is what my experience with it was. I am a metal snare guy because I like a "pop" sound from the drum rather than a "crack". I like the volume, agressiveness and bite from a metal drum, but I wanted a maple one as well to get a different sound...one with some volume and pop, but warmth too. I thought the edge would give me the best of both worlds. I was wrong.

I have been playing a Ludwig supraphonic for the past 8 years and a Ludwig hammered bronze snare, both 6.5x14, for 10 years before that. In comparison, the Ludwig supraphonic COMPLETELY blows the edge away in every catagory. Not even close. The supra is louder, has more character, has more bite, opens up as much as possible when struck hard, is articulate when needed....it's a great all around drum.

The edge sounded weak, totally eaten up on stage by the other drums and instruments. This is supposed to be a loud and aggressive rock drum??? It didn't really have any bite to speak of, it sounded boxy no matter how I tuned it and which heads I used, the snare mechanism was so sensitive that even a slight touch threw the snares off...it just flat out sucked. It was nowhere near worth the price of $700 in my opinion and didn't hold a candle to drums that cost half as much. So..live and learn. I'll be going back to my supra from now on and maybe look at some other Ludwig snares, like a COB model or an older black beauty to get a different sound. I know they'll be worth every penny. Bottom line, if you're in the market for a loud and agressive rock snare that's gonna kick butt and blow you away, in my opinion.....don't buy an edge.

Sorry that didn't work out for you.

I've had two Edge snares. A 5 X 14 and a 6 X 14. I sold the 5 inch and still have the 6.

I know you really crank up the snare side, and that hasn't worked for me on that drum. I run the batter tighter than the snare side and that seems to let the drum open up. It might be choking a little.

I'm not sure you'll be able to get that pop sound out of that drum. It's more of a crack kind of sound.

Mess with the tuning a little more and see what happens. I realize you have consiberable experience in that area, but try a couple other things and see how it goes. Single ply heads have worked for me on that drum. Maybe a power center head.

Those drums are in high demand so you should be able to flip it pretty easy.

Take care.

Sorry that didn't work out for you.

I've had two Edge snares. A 5 X 14 and a 6 X 14. I sold the 5 inch and still have the 6.

I know you really crank up the snare side, and that hasn't worked for me on that drum. I run the batter tighter than the snare side and that seems to let the drum open up. It might be choking a little.

I'm not sure you'll be able to get that pop sound out of that drum. It's more of a crack kind of sound.

Mess with the tuning a little more and see what happens. I realize you have consiberable experience in that area, but try a couple other things and see how it goes. Single ply heads have worked for me on that drum. Maybe a power center head.

Those drums are in high demand so you should be able to flip it pretty easy.

Take care.

Hey man,
I tried evrything on the drum, reso side up and down, 2 ply heads, single ply heads....you name it and it just wasn't happening for me, especially at that price. I put it on ebay and it was sold in 15 minutes! Got what I paid basically, so it's all good. I don't mean to put anyone's snare judgement down by posting this, it's more of a red flag for someone like me who was scouring forums for a review on an edge drum that maybe had played metal snares and was looking at an edge to add to their arsenal. Hopefully it will help someone make a decision down the road.

People think just because it's DW, and costs a lot of money that it's gonna be the greatest snare ever. WRONG! A snare like this is gonna be in a narrow range tuning wise with the real thick metal and wood combo. The good thing is you can easily sell these DW boutique drums on Ebay for what you payed for it, and sometimes get even more.

If you want a wood snare with some pop and warmth, look for one of those 6.5" deep thick shelled 6 ply Ludwig maple snares on Ebay. You can usually get them used for around 200$. These snares really get a good pop, but the underlying tone is rather deep, even when really cranked up.

People think just because it's DW, and costs a lot of money that it's gonna be the greatest snare ever. WRONG! A snare like this is gonna be in a narrow range tuning wise with the real thick metal and wood combo. The good thing is you can easily sell these DW boutique drums on Ebay for what you payed for it, and sometimes get even more.

If you want a wood snare with some pop and warmth, look for one of those 6.5" deep thick shelled 6 ply Ludwig maple snares on Ebay. You can usually get them used for around 200$. These snares really get a good pop, but the underlying tone is rather deep, even when really cranked up.

Cool, thanks for the tip. Ludwig metal snares rock, maybe one of those would be cool...hmmm......

Cool, thanks for the tip. Ludwig metal snares rock, maybe one of those would be cool...hmmm......

Most definitely! Try a variety of the Ludwigs. Supraphonic 6.5x14 chrome over aluminum (LM402) or a brass snare like the chrome over brass or black beauty are fantastic drums. My personal favorite is the 6.5x14 hammered bronze. Good Luck!

Most definitely! Try a variety of the Ludwigs. Supraphonic 6.5x14 chrome over aluminum (LM402) or a brass snare like the chrome over brass or black beauty are fantastic drums. My personal favorite is the 6.5x14 hammered bronze. Good Luck!

Yeah, the 6.5x14 hammered bronze is the best kept secret in killer metal snares. It's awesome and has given me the best recorded snare sound I ever got. I recorded a TV show in 1988 with a band whom I did some records with and the snare drum on that song was awesome. The producer couldn't believe how easily it miked up and how great it sounded.
Here's that recording, albeit the quality isn't quite as good by modern standards, but you can get a good idea of how it can sound in a rock setting. The heads were a coated emperor top, medium tension with a hazy ambassador bottom pretty tight.

Attachments

• Battleground-RnR Review.mp3
    4.6 MB · Views: 328
I had the same exact issues.

I had a SupraPhonic and then bought a DW Edge Snare.

After many heads and different tunings, it was back to my beloved Ludwig snares (My Supra and Black Beauty).

The Edge wasn't BAD, but it just wasn't a Supra or Black Beauty. I have yet to hear a snare drum that sounds better to me than either one of those.

There is a reason that they are the most recorded drums in history.

You just cannot go wrong with them.

Never was able to make the Edge sound good to my ears until I eventually sold it. Don't regret a single time.

I just bought a DW Classics Series 4 pc. kit which came with a matching Edge snare, and this snare sounds pretty Killer. I am using a Remo Weatherking Controlled Sound head on it. Admitted, it is more of a 'crack' than a pop, but when you drop the butt of the stick and lean into the rim... it is a gunshot. It has great sensitivity and is very articulate. I've owned the much praised Superphonic and was never totally sold (I know that this is blasphemy) but I lived with a Supersensitive for 30 years and loved it. Wish I still had it. I guess it is sometimes what you are asking of the snare or what voicing excites you... I just use multiple snares for different styles. I have a 68' Dynasonic COB that does a little more of what it sounds like you prefer.... although it is not as open as the Superphonic. The Super does have a wide tuning range but I was never in love with the Super. I have a 8X14 Gretsch M400 that seems to do just about anything and am in love with it... I tend to gravitate toward wood shells (hence the 'crack'). I think that the Edge is just a misunderstood, stepchild. Kind of like the little rich kid that just never seemed to fit in.

I was looking for a new snare and did some research on DW snares since I recently purchased a DW kit with the VLT and X shell technology that sounds really, really sweet. I play a variety of music, but I wanted a loud and agressive drum for a rock situation that matched my kit. I had heard about edge drums, did some research and read reviews...heard them live and on tape and really wanted one. So, I bought one this week.

To say the edge snare drum let me down was an understatement. I had it all week and really worked on it with dfferent heads and tunings to try to get it to sound good. I was really deflated after playing it last night and I don't understand why they get the reviews they do. This is only one man's opinion, but this is what my experience with it was. I am a metal snare guy because I like a "pop" sound from the drum rather than a "crack". I like the volume, agressiveness and bite from a metal drum, but I wanted a maple one as well to get a different sound...one with some volume and pop, but warmth too. I thought the edge would give me the best of both worlds. I was wrong.

I have been playing a Ludwig supraphonic for the past 8 years and a Ludwig hammered bronze snare, both 6.5x14, for 10 years before that. In comparison, the Ludwig supraphonic COMPLETELY blows the edge away in every catagory. Not even close. The supra is louder, has more character, has more bite, opens up as much as possible when struck hard, is articulate when needed....it's a great all around drum.

The edge sounded weak, totally eaten up on stage by the other drums and instruments. This is supposed to be a loud and aggressive rock drum??? It didn't really have any bite to speak of, it sounded boxy no matter how I tuned it and which heads I used, the snare mechanism was so sensitive that even a slight touch threw the snares off...it just flat out sucked. It was nowhere near worth the price of $700 in my opinion and didn't hold a candle to drums that cost half as much. So..live and learn. I'll be going back to my supra from now on and maybe look at some other Ludwig snares, like a COB model or an older black beauty to get a different sound. I know they'll be worth every penny. Bottom line, if you're in the market for a loud and agressive rock snare that's gonna kick butt and blow you away, in my opinion.....don't buy an edge.

Playing DW Collectors here in natural satin with a 70's Supraphonic!... Fat tom and kick sound with that Ludwig bite/warmth in a alloy shell.

CD got pics of the new kit?

Back