Brain Game

DPTrainor

Put both hands up in air. Now take left hand and draw circles in air. Stop. Now take right hand and draw a square in air. Stop. Now attempt to do both at same time - drawing circle with left and square with right. What did you find?

Put both hands up in air. Now take left hand and draw circles in air. Stop. Now take right hand and draw a square in air. Stop. Now attempt to do both at same time - drawing circle with left and square with right. What did you find?

Anyone try it? How did you make out?

I decided it was more fun drawing triangles in the air instead with both hands at once.

I decided it was more fun drawing triangles in the air instead with both hands at once.

Ah, I just tired that, it works - with Two triangles. Apparently, drawing a circle in air with one hand and square with other hand is not possible (or at least extremely difficult) due to the neural connection between left and right brain. I was this on TV show "brain games". No one on show could do it. Then I started thinking about what this would say / mean in terms of limb independence in drumming context. Not sure what the answer is, but raises an interesting question....

damn, that's hard. reckon it could be done with practice though.

That's what I was wondering. If one practiced it, could they become proficient? And is this the same as drumming coordination? Or is it something entirely different as circle and square is a more complex motion?

Well I was able to do it. I am not sure my square was quite as sharp as if I was doing it alone. But it was definitely a square and a circle.

Well I was able to do it. I am not sure my square was quite as sharp as if I was doing it alone. But it was definitely a square and a circle.

This. After a few minutes of trying I could pretty much do a circle & what would pass for a square! I'd guess that with practice it'd be more accurate.

This. After a few minutes of trying I could pretty much do a circle & what would pass for a square! I'd guess that with practice it'd be more accurate.

Interesting. This is what they were saying on the Brain Games show: The connections between the left and right half brains interact with each other in a way that makes this extremely difficult (if not entirely possible) to any accurate degree. So, I am starting to think that this idea of true "4-limb independence" for drumming may be a false concept. Drumming motions may be more "inter-dependent", rather than truly "independent "given this left-right brain "interference", for the lack of a better word. Or the brain learns a motion by repetition (like ostinato) and puts it on auto-pilot, then other limbs can move "independently" without this left-right brain interference affect. But, I have no idea! Only more questions....

Back