Ludwig Freaks!! Looky HERE, something SPECIAL??

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
Not that I've seen it all, but yet ANOTHER Ludwig oddity makes me scratch my head in wonder!!

A really good friend of mine (the dude who sold me the Clear Vistas) just came across a 1970's Ludwig Stainless Steel kit. Nothing out of the ordinary, 12, 13, 16, and a 22 inch kick. Also has a 5 1/2x14 Supra with it, all purchased at the same time.

Here's the oddity . . . . ALL of the badges, INCLUDING the Supra have NO Blue and Olive, they are just shiny aluminum badge color and the serial numbers are all HAND ENGRAVED !!!!!!

Here are some pics . . . any ideas on what's up with THAT???? I Have never seen or even HEARD of such a badge, and if it weren't that they were on the entire kit INCLUDING the snare I'd have passed it off as a scam kit. but really, who would make a STAINLESS scam kit?? That would be an expensive proposition!!!

(By the way, they sound AWESOME!!!)

Not a scam kit, i think John Bonham's very last kit was a stainless steel kit that Ludwig outsourced the stainless shells from. Very collectible, if i'm not mistaken. Very limited run.

i don't think it's a scam either...unless someone really went out of their way to make the kit...all of it looks genuine Ludwig to me.

maybe you can contact Ludwig...send them the pics. they might be able to help you out. i just couldn't imagine how awesome they sound! best of luck.

Wow!! Beautiful kit. I would bet they sound great, too. I seriously doubt it's a scam kit, but contact Ludwig and they'd probably be able to help. Assuming they are authentic, you've got a great collectable worth a lot! Congrats!

I played a kit identical to that in highschool. The highschool owned the kit. They probably still have it sitting in boxes somewhere. They also had a real K that is still the best sounding cymbal I have ever heard. I long to play that cymbal again some day. I think there is a photo of me playing the kit in my highschool yearbook. I'll have to dig it out of the attic.

Last edited:
Who's dog is that in the reflection of the close up badge picture?

Is that whole set numbered in the 400's or are they scattered.?

Any further info on the handwritten serial number? Reason I ask is I saw a Supra for sale on eBay that also had a handwritten serial, but on a regular B/O badge. I wasn't sure what was up with that.

BTW, funny that you put "Ludwig Freaks" in your title and then got an answer from someone named Ludwigfreak555.

OK, just another member of DW that I hate now!!! :)

Anyhow...dude, you realize you're sitting on a fortune don't you??!?

That is a PROTOTYPE ORIGINAL STAINLESS STEEL BIG-BEAT KIT, w/ a LM400 Supraphonic (5x14 by the way) :)

CONGRATS ......jerk!! :)

Just kidding....CONGRATS MAN!!!!

Great find! That's pretty cool.

I always loved the sound of those drums--besides looking cool.
I always loved the pic of the SS Big Beat kit from the 1980 catalog, with all the smoke and stuff....
That 1980 catalog is still one of my favorite Ludwig drool books. I'd like to get a real nice copy of it $omeday.

OK, just another member of DW that I hate now!!! :)

Anyhow...dude, you realize you're sitting on a fortune don't you??!?

That is a PROTOTYPE ORIGINAL STAINLESS STEEL BIG-BEAT KIT, w/ a LM400 Supraphonic (5x14 by the way) :)

CONGRATS ......jerk!! :)

Just kidding....CONGRATS MAN!!!!
HA HA !!! I'm not as MUCH of a jerk as you think, it's not MY kit, it's a kit of a good friend of mine. He and I were understandably curious as to WHY the badges were so strange, so I offered to get my forum use in play to get help, and it WORKED!!

L0L!! I'll tell my friend of your disdain for him!! HA HA !!!!

You should HEAR them, not only are they in great shape, have a cool history, but they SOUND AWESOME too!!! He's a lucky guy!!

Back