Drum wrap removal

blacksvt54

Hey everyone,
I am fixing to remove the drum wrap on my first set (mapex mars kit) and custom painting the drums afterwards. I was going for a flat black with airbrushed spiderwebs in a different shade of black. Anyone have any tips or tricks on removing the wrap and actually painting the shells? any info is helpful

Take off all the hardware. You might get lucky, and the wrap falls right off. Or, it may require a bit of help. A heat gun and a butterknife are two of my favorite tools. Jasco premium paint and epoxy remover is what I use to remove glue (and paint) residue off of shells. Using the search/advanced search function should lead you to lots of already covered ideas/ways to go about it. Ghostnote is a drum builders forum, might want to check them out. My Rogers project here: http://harryconway.typepad.com/

I have been considering doing a project like this with a low end kit just to see if I was capable of doing a good job. The more I see threads like this the more encouraged I get. That was some great work Harry!

I'm currently working on a Premier HTS 500 Pipe band snare drum with badly warped wrap.
It's pretty much falling off but I had planned on putting a new wrap on it before adding artwork.

I do a lot of stencil Graffiti style artwork, my other obsession. also a bit of airbrushing.

Do you think its OK to paint/treat direct onto the shell? or would a new wrap be better. not sure what the shell is like underneath and assume they'll be nasty glue residue/stane.

ok so a little update. I have removed all the hardware and found exactly what i suspected... the wrap was beginning to bubble very badly, but the shells themselves look very good. no problems with the wood and all the hardware seems in very good condition and for sure can be re-used. Ill have some pics up asap

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00491.jpg

DSC00492.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

I did it to an old Ludwig kit, maple shells with black wrap/ the wrap on the ludwog kit was glued on entirely. I did have to use a heat gun and used a 2 inch putyy knife to slowly peel it off abit at a time.
But you have to be careful with the heat gun that you dont heat one area too much, the heat could possibly seperate the shell than your shell is garbage.
I just applied a nice oil to it and left it as is... got a ton of compliments on it .

yeah its been pretty interesting so far lol. The badges were a huge bizznatch to get off, but after i did i kinda liked the look a bit better without the badges on. Ill probably keep them in a junk drawer just in case i ever need them, but they are definitely not going back on.
Looks like a fun project. What are you planning to do about the badges?

..... The badges were a huge bizznatch to get off, but after i did i kinda liked the look a bit better without the badges on....
I missed this thread when it came back up about the badges, I guess. There is a grommet removal tool that makes that operation a snap. Most cats grind/drill/file the grommet off the shell. In any event...I agree that most drums look better without the badges. I never put them back on.

Back