Sonor S-Class Pro

T

tony.drummer

Hey guys!

I don't know if that's the right place to post a thread like this, so just tell me right away if ever I'm right.

I found a used Sonor S-Class Pro (2000-2004) Piano Black drumset on a local free ad website.
I'm pretty sure it's a good deal, just wanted to know some people's opinion on this.

Here's what the deal is: 2000$ (canadian dollars) for : 20" Kick, 8",10",12",14" toms (no floors :( ), a sonor 3007 maple snare 14"x5.5" (unsure about the depth, soft cases for all the drums, all jack Dejhonette aquarian heads, Sonor Bass and HH pedals; Pearl remote HH, 2 sets of hats: 14” Sabian and 14” A Zildjian.
20” Sabian AAX Stage Ride, 18” Paiste flat ride, 16” Sabian AAX Stage crash, 15” Sabian AA Thin crash, 16” Sabian BBPro Medium crash, 10” A Zildjian splash.
Throne, Hardcase for the cymbals.

I'm planning on mounting the 14" on a suspension for floor toms (made by vaudou drums). Also I'll change all the heads for evans g2s or g14s.
I'll be selling most of the cymbals right after too.

I was searching for a high end kit with a 20" kick drum. I already have a sonor ascent with a 22", but I need a setup for jazzy stuff and a more compact set. I'm also a huge sonor fan.

Is it real that all the S-Class Pros were german made? Because I know some older S-Class series weren't...

Let me know what you guys think!

The Pro's were made in Germany. .. although they had shells from KHS/Mapex.. (still really nice drums) this is the info from SONORMUSEUM...

Your Accent's (nice drums) are entirely from the KHS/Mapex plant. This info comes from Sonor via the Sonormuseum site.

The regular S-Class had the Sonor shells.. . http://sonormuseum.com/1995+/sclass/sclass.html

It's the other way around.. The birch/maple combo shells were made in Germany, then later were made in china. They improved the hardware in the 2nd series. The pedals that came with my series 1 kit aren't so hot, I'm not sure if they changed.

Mine is also piano black. It's a nice finish, I need to get it out of its cases and setup again.

I'd keep the flat ride that comes with that kit. I don't know how much you can get for the cymbals but what have you got to start with? I'd rather a new shell pack if I was alright for cymbals.

Thanks for the insight Dre25 and Artstar.

I've been checking the sonormuseum website for quite a while now.

Dre25, I already have a load of HHX, HH, AA, AAX Sabian cymbals (won't list them here it would be long).

The main reason I won't really keep any cymbals included is that I don't need them. I'm not really a fan of the païste sound although I do have a lot of respect for the company.

I also have tried 3-4 Stage Rides in the past and haven't quite liked them. (I'm a drum salesman at the local music/pro-audio store so have a lot of things to test and bang on ;P)

Now, why won't I just buy a new shell pack?

Well I have checked many times all the options I have at the shop. While I do have great prices there, I'm pretty sure I can't match that deal price/quality -wise.

The whole point of this post was to know how much of a deal this opportunity seems to others.

What do you guys think?

11 years ago this summer I paid $1,500 for a new four shell pack (10-12-14-22). You gotta watch out for the bass drum claws tho: heat and stuff can ruin them in the long run. Soundwise, however, the only thing that I've found they can't do is imitate a Radio King or 3ply Ludwig set...

...and that's cause no other set can.

I'd say go for it: It may not be a doorbuster sale, but you can always do better by selling off the unwanted hardware and cymbals.

From the research I did (I'm building a compete spread-sheet), The S Class birch/maple drums were introduced in 1998. The hardware was made in China and the shells were made in German. I'm not sure where they were assembled. For the S-Class Maple, both the shells and hardware was made in China.

In 2007 Sonor introduced the S Classix (9 ply Scandinavian Birch) and these drums are fully German made.

I think people get the S Class and S Classix confused. It is a mystery to me why Sonor made the names so close to each other.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. The infor is iffy at best .. I wish Sonor had a timeline. But I think we are both wrong. ;-) The brochure you pointed me too has a 1997 date and the sonormuseum link says 1995+.

The first price i could find for the S Class was in the (6/97 updated) 1997 price sheet (http://www.sonormuseum.com/prices/1996/1997prices.html).

The S Class Pro shows up in the 2000 price list (not sure if they had any price lists between 1997 and 2000.

I will make the mods to my spreadsheet. Tnx!

Thanks. The infor is iffy at best .. I wish Sonor had a timeline. But I think we are both wrong. ;-) The brochure you pointed me too has a 1997 date and the sonormuseum link says 1995+.

The first price i could find for the S Class was in the (6/97 updated) 1997 price sheet (http://www.sonormuseum.com/prices/1996/1997prices.html).
Tnx!

Yes I know...... the literature is not straight forward. That price list actually says 1996 at the top.....

I do remember in 97' seeing a new S-Class Maple in a shop , which was the 2nd version... . So that original German one had to of been around a couple years before.

So do the both of you (Artstar and NNC) think this is a great deal?

And I know you're discussing the whole S-Class line, but the one I'm considering is a 2000-2004 S-Class Pro. Are the Pros made 100% in germany or they're like the Maple ones?

Hi.

From the research I did, the S Class Pro is Chinese made.

It is up to you to decide based on condition, what you get, and what the nickel and dime costs are going to be (for example, do you want to make it like new, are parts like memory locks missing, what are the head conditions, etc.)

I would start by looking up the price they sold for new at http://www.sonormuseum.com/prices/2000/2000prices.html. Then take 25% of that. From there the price you would be willing to pay should be based on what i mentioned above. From the drums listed i would value the shell only at between $625 and $850 depending on condition. (USD) I used the price list for : 20" Kick, 8",10",12",14" shell toms

You can you a complete 3007 kit for $699 new. (USD). So a sonor 3007 maple snare is worth around $125 new.

soft cases for all the drums - depends on the cases.

all jack Dejhonette aquarian heads really have no value unless they are band new.

For the rest here, consider if you need the rest or if it is fluff you are paying for. A lesson I learned is that things are only a good deal if you need them ;-)

Sonor Bass and HH pedals really depends on the series. You can buy a new Sonor HH and pedal for under $200.

The rest is all subjective.

Pearl remote HH, 2 sets of hats: 14” Sabian and 14” A Zildjian.
20” Sabian AAX Stage Ride, 18” Paiste flat ride, 16” Sabian AAX Stage crash, 15” Sabian AA Thin crash, 16” Sabian BBPro Medium crash, 10” A Zildjian splash.

Throne, Hardcase for the cymbals.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

So do the both of you (Artstar and NNC) think this is a great deal?

And I know you're discussing the whole S-Class line, but the one I'm considering is a 2000-2004 S-Class Pro. Are the Pros made 100% in germany or they're like the Maple ones?

I think the shells are from china but that's not a bad thing. They will sound good. I'm asking you if you really want a 10+ year old kit with gear you won't use for $2000. There are heaps of great shell packs you could buy for less.

Spend some time playing the kit if you can..

if you totally dig them.. then it's a no brainer..

Back