Yamaha Drums

7ymy7avu.jpg

ynypurez.jpg

apyhemeq.jpg

avy3u2yb.jpg

In love. What a sound. Missed that!

Very nice Wes!

Speaking of oak drums, here's me and my LCs at a recent gig:

This was a medium/large ballroom and I mic'ed the drums ala Glyn Johns. Lots of compliments on the sound and after hearing the recording, I can see why. Lots of meat on these, very full and powerful without sounding harsh.

Jason

Got my hands on a set of the new stage customs not at all impressed there the cheapest version yet IMO. The vent hole put me over the edge looks like I could connect my cable tv wire to it WTF.

Really? What else is cheap about them? I've heard good things. Great price especially for an all birch shell.

Really? What else is cheap about them? I've heard good things. Great price especially for an all birch shell.

They just felt cheap I have owed 3 different Yamaha kits and played many versions of stage customs and I can't speak for how they sound I didn't play them but in my hands . They felt like a $600 dollar set of drums expected more I guess. I'm sure anyone would be happy with a set still think there a nice drum for the price I think I thought they were going to be a set of Absolutes for 649 and there not.

They just felt cheap I have owed 3 different Yamaha kits and played many versions of stage customs and I can't speak for how they sound I didn't play them but in my hands . They felt like a $600 dollar set of drums expected more I guess. I'm sure anyone would be happy with a set still think there a nice drum for the price I think I thought they were going to be a set of Absolutes for 649 and there not.

That's understandable, if you're used to the higher line YAMAHA stuff yes, STAGE CUSTOM will feel cheap.

But look what you get for 2014, ABSOLUTE lugs, the 945-B tom mounting system, YESS mounts, die cast BD claws, lacquer finishes YAMAHA style, pretty useable stuff.

Yeah the wood is lesser grade and no finish on the insides (which is fine with me). Same molds as the higher lines use, same diagonal seam etc. the shells are well built.

The only critical upgrade I'd recommend is new tension rods (I did TIGHT SCREWS), the stock rods are loose enough to cause detuning pretty easily. Aftermarket BD hoops (something stiffer) would be a plus too if.

That's understandable, if you're used to the higher line YAMAHA stuff yes, STAGE CUSTOM will feel cheap.

But look what you get for 2014, ABSOLUTE lugs, the 945-B tom mounting system, YESS mounts, die cast BD claws, lacquer finishes YAMAHA style, pretty useable stuff.

Yeah the wood is lesser grade and no finish on the insides (which is fine with me). Same molds as the higher lines use, same diagonal seam etc. the shells are well built.

The only critical upgrade I'd recommend is new tension rods (I did TIGHT SCREWS), the stock rods are loose enough to cause detuning pretty easily. Aftermarket BD hoops (something stiffer) would be a plus too if.

ABSOLUTE STYLE lugs that's the key I don't think there made of the same stuff just a look alike I may be wrong though I would need a compare them side to side. I think the smaller sizes also give them feel of a cheaper set im not used to it the floor tom looks like a kids drum IMO.

You are exactly right. They are not the real Absolute lugs that are currently used on the Live Custom. Not a huge deal.. but does'nt hurt to point that out.

Trust... Im just picky small things bug be the vent hole not being a pressed in grommet and needing a nut the finish didn't pop IMO the screw that holds the lugs being black not gold. I remove the lugs when I clean my drum I like to with the black screw I know the finish will get scratched and rust fast in anything but ideal condition like I said I'm just picky.

ABSOLUTE STYLE lugs that's the key I don't think there made of the same stuff just a look alike I may be wrong though I would need a compare them side to side. I think the smaller sizes also give them feel of a cheaper set im not used to it the floor tom looks like a kids drum IMO.

What about it looks like a kids floor tom? Finish? Hardware?

You are exactly right. They are not the real Absolute lugs that are currently used on the Live Custom. Not a huge deal.. but does'nt hurt to point that out.

They're also at a much lower price point...I find the new stage customs to be quite the bang for the buck....really puzzled by some comments stating that they're not absolutes...or course they're not!...they're also not priced in the thousands...:)

They're also at a much lower price point...I find the new stage customs to be quite the bang for the buck....really puzzled by some comments stating that they're not absolutes...or course they're not!...they're also not priced in the thousands...:)

I know I know Scorch,.. We were just pointing out these are not the lugs on Live Custom or Absolute.

Hello,

just bought these from a friend three days ago. They were a steal. He made an offer to me for these drums I simply could not refuse.

Yamaha Live Custom - Amber Shadow Sunburst
7x10, 8x12 toms
15x16 floor tom
18x22 bass drum

Snare is a sensitive series 6.5x14 with zinc diecast hoops (it's a LOOOONG story how I came to this drum).

This is my kit! The toms feel and sound so good to play. Enjoy!

Attachments

• LC-1.jpeg
    LC-1.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 1,369
  • LC-2.jpeg
    LC-2.jpeg
    425.5 KB · Views: 1,310
  • LC-3.jpeg
    LC-3.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 1,370
  • LC-4.jpeg
    LC-4.jpeg
    416.9 KB · Views: 1,336
  • LC-5.jpeg
    LC-5.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 1,328
  • LC-6.jpeg
    LC-6.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 1,318
Wow that's a nice kit. I've never heard the Oaks. I'm sure they sound great. Congratulations.

What about it (STAGE CUSTOM) looks like a kids floor tom? Finish? Hardware?

The depth of the drum IMO make it looks like it's from a kids set

Same depth as LIVE CUSTOM'S (14X13, or 16x15)

STAGE CUSTOM 14 FT does have 6 lugs, I like the look actually. The sound is wonderful and the drum is lighter b/c of it.

I'm running a bit late with this but here ya go.

18 x 22 BCA....

...becomes a 14 x 22 BCA

Jason

Ahhhhh! Forgot all about this. Beautiful, Jason!! Nice touch with the SoCalMike-supplied (no doubt) cover plate as well. It looks fantastic - you're pleased with the results?

I love my cut-down 14x22 MCA. It took a huge leap of faith but well worth it.

Neal

Back