DSCN7443.jpg

DSCN7445.jpg

DSCN7450.jpg

DSCN7446.jpg

DSCN7447.jpg

DSCN7449.jpg

DSCN7444.jpg

holy crap...
i have to say that DW looks like the real winner here, easily the best graphics, grains and glitters at the show! some gorgeous wood grains, an awsome salute to the forces and that crystal glitter job is just plain sweet, completley unattainable, but sweet nontheless!

That is first thing I said to myself. It seems out of place :)

I don't see that many DW kits with rack toms in those type of dimensions (square or larger). I think that might contribute to the kit's out-of-place-ness. Even then it's a great looking kit.

To be entirely honest, those graphics look incredibly tack to me. The wood grain is fantastic though on the other kit, but there is some seriously over-engineered hardware. Is all that necessary?

I wonder when they are going to announce the VLX shells. I saw where one other person had ordered them so I negotiated with my rep on my order and he talked to DW and got them to put it on my Bass Drum as well. I guess its not a huge focal point of NAMM because its only ideal on Bass Drums and floor toms, but it is supposed to be a combination of the VLT and X "creating and even lower fundamental tone" Verdict is still out though.....my friend has an X shell Bass Drum and i have a regular collectors series kit so I cant wait to compare. The X Shell Bass Drum does seem to be a little deeper and it could be the mental aspect, but I think it just overall sounds better. I mean my kit is 2004 and his bass drum 2008 so I would imagine drum companies continuously aim to improve their drums anyway. Maybe DW is saving this technology for Day 4 though...

As for the finishes, bubinga waterfall with candy black burst laquer is the top top....and what I ordered.....I don't like the gold hardware that many people are drooling over so I got the chrome....Unless you are neil peart, u should prolly not have gold hardware...

out

hahahahha..

thats true! ;)

but, DW does look good..

but for some reason, the silver sparkle kit in the first pic doesnt seem like a DW kit..

Alex

I think what makes it look un-DW is the fact that the inside of the bass hoops is covered in the sparkle, rather than revealing the wood (as they usually do), making it look more like a yamaha or the like.

I love the silver sparkle kit...it kind of looks like it would more powerful.

Also: do the platforms spin around?

DSCN7443.jpg

"I know! Let's make a bunch of weird-sized tom-tom sort of things. You know someone's gonna buy 'em!"
"Adds a new dimension of sound to your..." blah, blah, blah.

What is that gross-looking mutated snare drum-floor tom monster over there on the left?

Thanks for your input.

I was just at that very set 15 minutes ago, and yeah it wasn't something that interested me, but looked much better in person. I thought DW really showed up large this year. I have also been impressed with the Pearl exhibition. It's seems that 2 of the big dogs really decided to step it up.

Geez Jay, It's just fun looking at stuff. Besides, the person who buys that set won't always do it for music. He'll buy it because he can; sort of like those rich people who buy Steinway grands for furniture and never play them. Some of these custom kits you see here are a lot like that too. Their makers are like that family on American Chopper. None of those rides are always practical either. But they're cool to look at at, and probably fun to drive.

I'm a big fan of the short-stacks over the hi-hats. I do something similar, only i use mini timbales.

Back