Oops!

Is here anything protruding from the broken key section and do you have spare keys for after?

If so, do you have the following

Can WD-40
Gerber or Leatherman type tool (Others are available)
Patience

in spades?

There is a way, but it is time consuming. If nothing is protruding, drill the barrel out and replace when you get the chance. Grind the shank and the lock is buggered forever.

Last edited:
Time to get out the angle grinder. :D

& so it came to pass :)

Done! Angle grinder with cutting disc to the rescue. It wouldn't have been an issue anyhow, I mean, the trailer only has the PA, lights, monitors in it. Drums are all in the car, so THE most important part of the band would have sounded just fine :)

Yep.

So you couldn't get the piece of the key out with needle nose pliers?

No, & I have an extensive tool selection too. The barrel was rotated slightly, & wouldn't return, thus locking the remaining portion of the key in the lock. I didn't have time to mess around endlessly, so angle grinder it was :)

Oh well that sucks! At least you got the lock off, an angle grinder is a very valuable tool to have!

Indeed! I have one of those thin diamond TCT blades, & it got through each side of the shank in seconds. Alarmingly fast actually :(

Yeah it's crazy how fast it will go through a lock. Good thing is most thieves aren't running around with angle grinders, they are too loud!

Been lurking here for maybe a year now. Odd what topic will make somebody want to register and post.

I've been working on my own trailer recently, and also work for a company where one of my many responsibilities is the maintenance, transport, and security of a half dozen or so trailers, so I suppose this stuff is kind of on my mind lately.

Those shank style tongue locks are just no good. I know the intent is to stop the casual thief, but that depends on what your definition of casual is. I'm certain I can pop one of those things off with a decent pry bar. As you've handily shown, an angle grinder will do the job in seconds. I got a cordless angle grinder for 50 bucks. Pretty cheap for a universal key :)

If you're in need of a new lock, I really can't help but suggest a product like the BlockHead by DeadBolt; or if you're really serious and think it's worth the money, something in the Atwood AMPlock series. The nice thing about the DeadBolt stuff is that you can also get couple/latch locks that are keyed the same. Nice to be able to stash one in the vehicle somewhere for those moments when it gets misplaced... although I suppose that doesn't help if only half the key is misplaced inside the tumbler.

Of course, you do all this, then the really enterprising individual can just unbolt the coupler itself.

I really can't recommend wiring a trailer to couple to your vehicle's security system enough, especially when it's storing several thousands of dollars worth of equipment and sitting in the alley or backlot of a bar.

Pointy end of a Stanley knife blade inserted on one side apply pressure and draw back . Easy no angle grinder required ..

Been lurking here for maybe a year now. Odd what topic will make somebody want to register and post.
Most odd indeed, but glad I could be the catalyst :) Welcome to the forum!

Pointy end of a Stanley knife blade inserted on one side apply pressure and draw back . Easy no angle grinder required ..
The barrel was rotated slightly, & wouldn't return, so extraction not possible (I tried it). Angle grinder option was deployed as I needed to haul out for the gig!

Extraction Impossible, I get it , very frustrating. I had the same thing happen not long age but was able to remove it. It's those cheap ass keys .

Back