Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz - Mounted Tom

mickster

Hello all!

I purchased a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz CC-J484 in marine pearl last August. Love the kit, but am having a real hard time getting the 12" rack tuned. If I place the tom on my bench I can rather quickly get a sound I like, but when I mount it on the kit almost all of the resonance disappears. I think the problem is the tom's mounting hardware.

If you own one of these kits you know that the tom mount is a "no holes" type. Two of the lug screws run through a grommet and into the lug base. It seems that when the drum is allowed to rest on the rubber bumper attached to the mount...that additional tension is applied to those two lugs...thus choking the resonance. Leaving the drum on the mount, but lifting it up, (thus removing the tension on those two lugs), allows the drum to resonate again.

I'm sorry...this issue is kind of hard to put into words, but if you own one of these kits...maybe you have noticed the same thing,

Thanks in advance!!!
Mick

A well documented problem mate. Gretsch certainly dropped the ball with the 2 lug GTS mounting sytem with the rubber stopper resting on the shell. The older style 4 lug mounts were much better. However the switch from 6 lugs to 5 on the newer style Cats prompted a re-think. Unfortunately, it would appear they didn't put much thought into it at all.

From memory others either ditched it all together and put the tom in a snare stand. Upgraded to a GTS mount from Gretsch USA. Or opted for an after market RIMS mount from Gauger. I believe they make a mount that will accomodate a 5 lug 12" tom.

Thanks guys! It looks like I could just remove the lug from the RIMS mount and attach it directly to the shell. Whadddya Think?

Thanks guys! It looks like I could just remove the lug from the RIMS mount and attach it directly to the shell. Whadddya Think?

I replaced the full-sized GTS mounts on my Renown kit with the Ludwig ATLAS mounts. No drilling involved, other than the drilling into the pocketbook for the ATLAS mounts at $50 a pop! I bought them separately, otherwise I would have just picked up the 3-pack instead for like $120.

I seriously like the ATLAS design (except for the huge wingnut that sticks out almost as far as the GTS mounts did) and I hope that Ludwig licenses the technology to other manufacturers for use on their kits.

Here is a GTS 4 lug mount for a 12" tom on eBay for $ 19.95 + $ 12.00 shipping. Do you think adding 2 additional mount points, (up from the existing 2 mount points), would spread the load so to speak...and thus improve resonance?

Snap1.jpg

Last edited:

That is what I did, and it looks and sounds great. I can post a picture of it when I get home. Peace and goodwill.

RIMS do make a 12" 5 lug mount. I have one for my custom kit and it works exactly as advertised. The GTS you found on ebay should improve the sound drastically with the additional points of contact. I wouldn't advise drilling into the shell. The ATLAS mounts are very cool as well & look nicer, but that GTS is very well priced & should do the job.

Do you think adding 2 additional mount points, (up from the existing 2 mount points), would spread the load so to speak...and thus improve resonance?

Definitely. I know it does because I've had no such issues with my older Cats that had 6 lugs and use that 4 lug style of GTS mount.

The only potential problem I see with that mount you've linked is spacing issues. Are the slots spaced to accomodate 5 lugs or 6?

Definitely. I know it does because I've had no such issues with my older Cats that had 6 lugs and use that 4 lug style of GTS mount.

The only potential problem I see with that mount you've linked is spacing issues. Are the slots spaced to accomodate 5 lugs or 6?

Seller's ad says: "Gretsch GTS tom tom suspension mount for a 12" 5 lug tom tom. Mount is in excellent condition. International shipping available."

In that case, I reckon you'll see a noticeable difference mate. Personally, I'd roll the dice and pay to find out.

You are absolutely right. I see similar mounts on eBay for double or triple this. I'll see how this goes and report back.

Drumolator...I would definitely like to see a pic of your mod, when you get a chance. I think mounting directly to the shell will be my "Plan B".

That mount should work fine.
I have the earlier GCCJ kit which came with a 4 hole mount - works just fine.
Cheers

Pete :)

Attachments

• IMG_2262.jpg
    IMG_2262.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 2,488
That mount should work fine. I have the earlier GCCJ kit which came with a 4 hole mount - works just fine.

Thanks Pete. Sweet looking kit!

Another option.

I just removed the portion of the suspension mount that tightens down on the arm and mounted it directly to the shell.

Sounds great and I don't have the problems with tuning that I did with the mount pulling on the tension rods.

Last edited:
Will this one work on my CCJ? Will it improve the resonance?

Attachments

• Gretsch tom mount.jpg
    Gretsch tom mount.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 3,513
Here is my Catalina Club Jazz kit.

Attachments

• 100_0328.JPG
    100_0328.JPG
    302.5 KB · Views: 2,295
Here is my Catalina Club Jazz kit.

Thanks Mark!!! Another sweet Cat kit.

Now I am torn. I really don't like the whole RIMS thing. I have already mounted a DW short cymbal arm for my ride on the kick, and didn't notice any change at all in the sound I was getting from the drum. I have played in the same 60's\70's cover band for 31 years and, (for me), don't buy into the notion that drilling holes in a drum ruins the sound of the drum...relative to the kind of music I play.

I think I am going to go directly to my "Plan B" and attach the mount directly to the drum like you and TTNW have done. I suspect if I went with the RIMS mount I was looking at on eBay...that I would eventually go to the shell mount.

Always scary drilling into a drum, but I know to put masking tape on both sides of the drum and drill through the tape. This is supposed to prevent splintering on the inside when coming out into the drum with the bit.

I'll post a pic of the kit after the "surgery"!! :)

Thanks to all for you kind help!!!

My tom sounds great like that. I am glad I could help. Remember: measure twice and drill once. Good luck.

Back