Did "audiotech" leave us?

brady

Platinum Member
I just saw that he was registered as "guest" in a few older threads?

Does anyone know what's up with that? Now who is going to tell us how to mic an unported bass drum?

I just saw that he was registered as "guest" in a few older threads?

Does anyone know what's up with that? Now who is going to tell us how to mic an unported bass drum?
Yes, Dennis left. One specific thread was the catalyst, but apparently, he'd been thinking of doing so anyhow. A shame, because he was a most valued contributor. I'd like to see him come back at some stage. His exit & preceding posts were most uncharacteristic.

Wow. That was bizarre. Very uncharacteristic of Denis.

Everyone can have a bad day from time to time. I felt a little bad for David.

Oh well. Hopefully Denis will come back after some time. He always had good audio advice to offer.

Wow, that was beyond weird reading that whole exchange.

I'm sad to see him go, but I'll never understand the methods some people take when "exiting" a forum. If I didn't like the content or got involved in some heated exchange on the internet there are quite a few other ways I would remove myself from it short of the (too often seen) public meltdown followed by the dramatic falling on the sword.

Again, I've always enjoyed Audiotech's posts, as they're informative and helpful. This seems so out of character I can't help but feel there is something else going on beyond what we've seen. I wish him well and I hope a break from the drama is helpful.

Bizzarre reaction to a thread. Must be too much on the plate, and other things going on in life too.

I just don't understand the need to get bent out of shape, argue and loose sleep (!!) because someone has a different idea, or reason to do things a different way.

Isn't this mainly a prototype anyway?? Not even a production piece, touting it's the best thing since the sun and moon (wait till DW picks it up for that hahah! JK).

The device can mount two mics. OK. It doesn't mean you have to use both at the same time does it?
Little things, like nicer/sturdier cables to hook it all up is nothing either.

Personally, unless there was an unlimited amount of time available, I couldn't imagine spending a bunch of time moving a couple mic's around, and putting a front head back on, fiddle with it, do it again, etc...
If it was a studio kit, that was IT, everyone used it, and that was that, I can see trying different things out to see what you can get.

Not something I would need, but, it still seems like a valid piece of equipment to me.

Sorry to see Dennis leave, even though I really had no conversations with him.

You know you're taking dw seriously when you're losing sleep over it.

The whole concept of David's invention just pi$$ed Denis off. David did nothing to inflame Denis IMO. I didn't get it either. Denis must have other stressors in his life and he probably had to unload on someone. This would be the safest place to do that for him probably.That's just a guess though.

Missed that one too. Bugger. Obviously Denis had some stuff going on outside. As we do.

From his comments and knowledge I gather that he's done sound work with some big names. Given that my modus operandi is to record with H2 Zoom and edit the tracks in Audacity, our paths didn't cross much and I only knew him as a familiar name and presence giving technical advice or posting pics of a drum set with a perfect sets of Zild Ks :)

Epic meltdown.

Not a guy I would ever have pegged to so completely and so quickly lose the plot. Always came across as pretty even tempered I thought.

What a shame. As a long time lurker, I valued Dennis's experience and knowledge in the world of sound and recording (something I wish I knew more about, so I read such threads). My memory/impression was his thoughts were previously stated quite analytically and objectively.

BTW, The pics of his kits were always incredible - the kits seemed meticulously put together and cleaned. This attention to detail prob helped him greatly with his recording work.

But if he was losing sleep over DW ... wow, it is best for him to back away a while.

If you are reading, take good care Dennis. There is a lot of respect for you in these parts.

cheers,
radman

I valued Dennis's experience and knowledge in the world of sound and recording (something I wish I knew more about, so I read such threads). My memory/impression was his thoughts were previously stated quite analytically and objectively.

I agree Rad. He was generous with his knowledge. It's no one's fault. Stuff happens.

Epic meltdown.

Not a guy I would ever have pegged to so completely and so quickly lose the plot. Always came across as pretty even tempered I thought.

I saw little glimpses once in a while of the sharpness, and was even on the receiving end of a pointed comment a time or two. I almost got the feeling he was used to working at such a technical level that we weekend hacks kind of got on his nerves, lol. He was always very helpful to me, and the knowledge he shared was top-notch, so the temperament didn't bother me.

I was truly surprised to see the altercation with David. I hope the time away helps him out.

I think I had a fight with him too and some point. The forum would be pretty boring if we all had the same opinion, but of course we don't and we all have to respect that.Specially when there is no personal interest in the subject being discussed.

Never the less, as already pointed out, Dennis knowledge and experience will be missed.
As well as the pictures of all those great cymbals and kits he owns -)

What was said at the end: I'll relinquish my final response to my "gang rape" on this forum later today when I have more time, although I've already made my decision .

This thread is not the primary reason that I'm leaving this forum, but for all intentional purposes, the catalyst along with other comments that got the ball rolling earlier than I thought it would be. A similar situation occured maybe a year or so ago. I said to myself, if it happens again I'll have to leave, it's just not worth loosing the little bit of sleep that I'm currently getting by constantly posting responses in the same thread. Last night because of this thread it got less than two and a half hours of sleep before I had to again roll out of bed at 5AM. This site moves very rapidly and trying to keep up with it and also perform the jobs (3) that I normally do, sometimes elements tend to suffer a bit because of my lack of rest. Those able to sit at home with hugh post counts probably won't know or care what I'm talking about. Maybe in a few years this might also be me. This argueing back and forth trying to spotlight each others opinions just takes up too much of the little spare time that I have. Normally when I've posted responses they were short and to the point without the drama. I would much rather be working and enjoy what I'm doing in the broadcast and music industries than to sit here at this keyboard sparing over details that I happen to notice in some threads and comment about. At least by leaving this forum, I might be able to retrieve an hour or two back of my life each day. No malice is focused on anyone.

I don't know if my comments will remain here or be moved. In any event please close my account ASAP, unless I find a way to do it myself.

Thank you, most of the four years that I've been here was a pleasure.
Dennis

If this is wrong to post, let me know and I will delete it. It really surprised me what was said in that thread, and, if not for this post, I would have thought his account had been hacked. The unfortunate part is, he probably just had a bad day, and just was tired and didn't really think about how his words were coming across. I really hope he does come back at some point. He knew a lot and had some very nice gear.

If this is wrong to post, let me know and I will delete it.
No reason to delete it. You're simply quoting, and that thread - or what/the way Dennis was posting there - is a main aspect of this thread so it's ok to quote/refer to that other (David's) thread.
The unfortunate part is, he probably just had a bad day, and just was tired and didn't really think about how his words were coming across. I really hope he does come back at some point.
This can and will happen to all of us. Did this already happen to you? So how did you manage it? By creating tension and drama on a web forum? Or by using your brainpower and handle it - as expected by everybody, esp. by professionals. Honestly, at some point I was thinking of banning him temporarily (I'd have sent him a warning PM beforehand) should he continue his aggressive way of posting. He found a 'solution' himself.
He knew a lot and had some very nice gear.
That has never been a reason to prevent people from behaving like ... - you get the point.

There were more than enough members and replies pointing out his rudeness but he continued. Him having a bad day doesn't justify this in my book, no way.

I'm 39 and participating in this forum has shown me many things I'd never had expected - relating to how people are interacting and how to discuss views/opinions. I remember that when I started out on DW, I did have a few controversial replies. Gradually I realized (I had) to learn to accept other members' opinions (it was a completely natural although slow process) - while backing up my own views by describing my experience or bringing up facts is ok of course. It was also eye-opening for me to learn that sometimes people would react in a controlled/mild way while my posts were on the rude side. I understood that those people were showing good-naturedness while they had some reason to 'fight back' - but often times they simply didn't. That was an important lesson for me. I learned that I had to offer my own share of this and to be more tolerant towards other opinions - sometimes a conflict would occur due to a misunderstanding so I learned to be more careful.

Unfortunately I never got a deeper understanding of Dennis and his background as a person but no doubt did I notice his remarkable knowledge in drumming and audio (plus his decent gear). But given that he had been a DW member for much longer than myself and also has far more experience of life, he should have known how to behave on a forum - in any situation.

Ok, I won't participate in this thread any more unless someone is directly referring to what I said or did - here or on that other thread.

I don't think this place has ever made me upset or angry about anything. Never. I come here for a little entertainment and BSing about drums and stuff. Anything more than that and I'd leave too. No need for a place like this to make a person lose sleep over.

Hmm is it me or more and more notable members are leaving DW by the day,

There is MAD then Anthony and now Dennis?

Hmm is it me or more and more notable members are leaving DW by the day,

There is MAD then Anthony and now Dennis?
Different reasons behind all three members you mention. Anthony & Henri will be back, & have only taken a forum holiday for personal/professional reasons. Members do come & go - that's life I guess.

Back