Just got my new Yamaha kit!

TColumbia37

Silver Member
Found a place selling Yamaha Rock Tour kits brand new for super cheap, and my birthday is on Sunday, so I couldn't pass up the deal. $500 got me this kit in textured green sunburst, which apparently wasn't made readily available in the US.

The ash exterior looks amazing, and the mahogany shells sound just as good. They didn't come with the heads I would use, so once I get some G2s over G1s and a Kickport installed, I'm sure the sound they produce will blow me away.

Anyhow, here are a few pictures I snapped.

20130731_202814_zpsab08c860.jpg

20130731_212140_zpsc43abfc0.jpg

These pictures don't come close to doing this gorgeous finish justice, but they're the best I could get for now.

That's a killer finish. I'm assuming since it's described as "textured" that it's more of a matte than a gloss?

Congrats on the new kit.

That's a killer finish. I'm assuming since it's described as "textured" that it's more of a matte than a gloss?

Congrats on the new kit.

No, they had separate matte finishes. The 'textured' finish gets the name because you can see and feel the wood grain. The picture doesn't show it well, but it has killer wood grain, and it's not all sanded flush, so there's a texture left behind

No, they had separate matte finishes. The 'textured' finish gets the name because you can see and feel the wood grain. The picture doesn't show it well, but it has killer wood grain, and it's not all sanded flush, so there's a texture left behind

Ah, ok. Looking at the bass drum in the second picture, I can see what you're talking about.

Beautiful.

Happy for you. Nice kit. Those heads look like pinstripes. Wouldn't they be about the same as G2's? What's that clamp looking thing just above the legs on the hi-hat stand?

Happy for you. Nice kit. Those heads look like pinstripes. Wouldn't they be about the same as G2's? What's that clamp looking thing just above the legs on the hi-hat stand?

Yeah, G2s would be a similar sound, but they sound more open to me than pinstripes. That clamp is there because the wingnut on my hat stand is stripped out. The clamp is holding the legs in place until I replace it with a memory lock

Bitchin' Drums man ! beautiful finish and good head choice going with the G1's and G2's ! I'm rollin with clear ambassadors and emperors and I like them as well
Peace

Lovely kit. Big Yamaha fan here.

The Pinstripes are similar to the Emperors (Remo equivalent to the G2s) except that in the outer ring of the head, the two plies are glued together. The Emperors are entirely separate plys.

I was never big on Yamaha, mainly because I never owned or played any Yamaha kits. I think they've just gotten a new repeat customer, though. If they have this kind of quality on their mid-level kits, I can't imagine what playing a Phoenix would be like!

I also don't really like the idea of gluing plies together, but these actually sound pretty good for what they are. I was pleasantly surprised

Bitchin' Drums man ! beautiful finish and good head choice going with the G1's and G2's ! I'm rollin with clear ambassadors and emperors and I like them as well
Peace

Thanks, fella'!

I've been on and off the fence about picking up one of these shell packs since they went on deep discount earlier in the year. They look great, I hope you get lots of good use out of them.

Now there is a green drum kit in ash wood that I can like. The fade finish makes the green look real nice with the bold grain of the ash.
Nice choice!

I used a Rock Tour for a very long time and loved every second I played on it. Yours is beautiful, I'm sure you'll have a blast with it as well! Beautiful finish. And I like your hats, too!

I used a Rock Tour for a very long time and loved every second I played on it. Yours is beautiful, I'm sure you'll have a blast with it as well! Beautiful finish. And I like your hats, too!

It really is great

I LOVE these hats! They're easily my favorite piece of equipment

Back