Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz

BamBam

Hello one and all.

Well, after looking around I've finally decided on what I think is probably a nice starter kit for a beginner like me. I'm acquiring a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 4pc. set, consisting of a 18x14 bass; 14x14 floor tom; 12x8 rack tom; 14x5 snare. I relish the mahogany shells as this gives off the warm tone I wanted to achieve. This kit comes in just under $700 new

I want to acquire another floor tom for this kit and have my eyes on a c.'70 16x16 floor tom that's being offered for $575. I think the case is included. I want it just to have an even deeper-sounding floor tom to sort of round out my kit's sound.

Would I be spending too much for this additional drum?

They are good kits, I have one. I have also seen a few used here and there for much less then that price. Also, if you select the right color for the kit, you may be able to get another floor tom that would match the color, but not necessarily be a Gretsch.

Drum store in Detroit is selling them Cat Jazz in Walnut Glaze for $499. I think you should keep looking for a lower price, $700 sounds real high too me. I own the Cat's and I have a USA on order. The Cat's are great I use it for gigging several times a month.

Drum store in Detroit is selling them Cat Jazz in Walnut Glaze for $499. I think you should keep looking for a lower price, $700 sounds real high too me. I own the Cat's and I have a USA on order. The Cat's are great I use it for gigging several times a month.

Well, Guitar Center offers the same kit online and they say they'll beat any "online price" so maybe I should see if I can find it for less. I want the Marine White finish.

Thanks for the encouragement. I listened to a few people play this kit and really liked the sound. I included tax on price. I've read the Catt's a good starter set; the Renown is a bit more upscale and the USA Custom is up yet further, so these sets apparently are for the more advanced players.

I'm excited about getting my new kit. If I'd add anything I'd like to swap out the single tom mount for a double and acquire an extra tom but maybe I should go with two toms mounted on a cymbal instead? I've seen this kit set up that way. I've heard a few people kvetch about the 5-lug mount for the rack tom, because they say its vibration causes the drum to loose tuning... in any case I dig the retro tone and marine white finish. Sweet.

Thanks for your advice.

Query: The hole and rim around it I see in the bass drum: Why is this done and what purpose does it serve?

Which hole?
The hole in the shell is a vent, all shells have one in order to breathe when they are hit.
The hole in the head, if there is one, is a port (see Gear/Heads for several threads), which alters the sound and is an easy place to stick a microphone. If you don't want a port you just buy a head without one.

Which hole?
The hole in the shell is a vent, all shells have one in order to breathe when they are hit.
The hole in the head, if there is one, is a port (see Gear/Heads for several threads), which alters the sound and is an easy place to stick a microphone. If you don't want a port you just buy a head without one.

The port. Thanks for the terminology correction. A port alters the sound, huh? How or in what way? I readily see the ease of microphone placement. Thanks for the information!

Drummers are an informative, friendly bunch.

For the money you quoted you could almost buy another Catalina Maple in standard sizes and have a 16 inch floor tom. I would look used but not a 70 round badge for 500. for one drum. There must be something in the eBay world or craigslist

Thanks for the encouragement. I listened to a few people play this kit and really liked the sound. I included tax on price. I've read the Catt's a good starter set; the Renown is a bit more upscale and the USA Custom is up yet further, so these sets apparently are for the more advanced players.

I'm excited about getting my new kit. If I'd add anything I'd like to swap out the single tom mount for a double and acquire an extra tom but maybe I should go with two toms mounted on a cymbal instead? I've seen this kit set up that way. I've heard a few people kvetch about the 5-lug mount for the rack tom, because they say its vibration causes the drum to loose tuning... in any case I dig the retro tone and marine white finish. Sweet.

If you want two toms and you're going to pay what you said you where going to pay then why not go and buy a Renown RN1 series....just take your time and keep an eye on deals and save your dough.

The Cat's are a great kit, everyone will tell you that but i think if youre serious about this hobby it might just make sense to spend a little but more money and grab a Renown Series. The RN1 Brook's and USA's are drums you can keep for a long, long time, they look great, sound great and they also hold their value more. Just some food for thought. I have no idea what your budget is but I've been buying/selling for many years and sometimes I think I wasted a lot of my money by buying cheaper stuff, because after a while I just got sick of it, sold it (cheap) and then paid more money in the end anway. Let me know if you need anymore help. Do you mind if I ask you where you live? I may be able to help you a bit more.

If you want two toms and you're going to pay what you said you where going to pay then why not go and buy a Renown RN1 series....just take your time and keep an eye on deals and save your dough.

The Cat's are a great kit, everyone will tell you that but i think if youre serious about this hobby it might just make sense to spend a little but more money and grab a Renown Series.

I have to agree with this. I was going to buy a new Cat-Maple (had my finger on the trigger) when I found a 1-year-old brand-new Renown Maple for exactly the same price.

Once you find the Cat kit you're looking for, wait a week or two before pulling the trigger and look for something that's a grade up for the same price, whether it be used, or on clearance, etc..

I'll throw in a monkey wrench. I used to own a Catalina Club Jazz. I liked it but sold it to buy a Ludwig Club Date Special Edition. I like it better. Better shells with a warmer sound. Just my 2 cents.

Not to sound like I know anything much about Gretsch... but in the catalog's laying around the house I noticed that Gretsch Cat ads never mention the wood.

Why? or Why not?

Neither do certain lines of other drum OEM's

My guess is that it's poplar. Why poplar? It's cheap, it's soft, it's "mellow"

When after more than half a century all the talk about tone woods center around Maple and Birch... those 60's drums were made from those woods.

Really good sets use those two tone woods exclusively.

New sets made of poplar look really pretty, but how does the sound compare? Or does that really matter any longer?

Eye candy has a strong pull on the consumer.... but buyer beware... resale(s) happen and poplar doesn't sell high in the used market for a reason.

Used Birch and Maple sets are all over the place... there is a (to my ears) a big difference in those materials vs poplar, bubinga, ash, etc... and from reading around the Drummerworld forum... I'm not alone.

I have to agree with this. I was going to buy a new Cat-Maple (had my finger on the trigger) when I found a 1-year-old brand-new Renown Maple for exactly the same price.

Once you find the Cat kit you're looking for, wait a week or two before pulling the trigger and look for something that's a grade up for the same price, whether it be used, or on clearance, etc..

Good idea.

I'll throw in a monkey wrench. I used to own a Catalina Club Jazz. I liked it but sold it to buy a Ludwig Club Date Special Edition. I like it better. Better shells with a warmer sound. Just my 2 cents.

Yes! Ludwig is awesome as well. I'm trying to (as are others) remind you not to spend your money too quick Bam, just sit on it and wait a little,.....maybe spend the extra dollars or not.

I have had a Catalina Club Jazz kit for a few years now, and I still really like it. Mine have a wooden outer finish. I do not care about the wood; I only care about how they sound, look, and hold up. So far it is going great concerning all three. I sometimes use the toms with a 22 inch bass drum, such as when I play in a large room. All of the other musicians I have played with when using that kit really like it too. Here is mine. Peace and goodwill.

Attachments

• 100_0328.JPG
    100_0328.JPG
    302.5 KB · Views: 766
I have had a Catalina Club Jazz kit for a few years now, and I still really like it. Mine have a wooden outer finish. I do not care about the wood; I only care about how they sound, look, and hold up. So far it is going great concerning all three. I sometimes use the toms with a 22 inch bass drum, such as when I play in a large room. All of the other musicians I have played with when using that kit really like it too. Here is mine. Peace and goodwill.

Your set looks terrific. The one I've had my eye on has the vintage marine white finish, which I like a lot, but completely concur about the issue of sound and durability.

I've a question about the port hole since I'm still a bit confused as to its purpose besides being a handy mic placement location. Is this done for sound projection? Is this recommended? I would ask the seller to do it for me since I don't know how.

Monkey wrenches help make sure the bolts in my neck are tight so I don't mind a bit. Helps make the green tone a bit brighter, too.

The set I'm eyeballing is supposed to be all mahogany (shells and hoops) but what kind exactly I'm uncertain. I've read here that there's more than one type. There's a costly African variety and, from what I hear, a less expensive Philippine type. I don't know what kind this kit is made from but will investigate. Is there another type of wood besides mahogany that projects an even warmer tone?

The CCJ is made with the Philippine variety. Not necessarily a bad thing but it's used in budget kits for a reason. But let your ears be the judge. Again, I will say I like these kits and would use one again. The new ones have some nice features.

Back