Decent enough in Rock band to be good at drums?

drummer girl09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Az69E0c9go

This guy has all of his songs on expert...would you consider him being good at the actual drumset? He can play the song Everlong on expert, which I think is hard...I've tried to play it on my kit. It's fast, but as most of you say, the song is of course not impossible. It just takes practice. Most of the songs this dude plays is on expert, and he actually seems to have control of the groove, and have the correct grip on the sticks. I think he would have potential on the drums if he actually got out in the real world and did something that is actually worth something then just besides a game. I've tried the Everlong song on expert, and I could'nt do it. But what to y'all think? This is all imo.

He obviously understands the basic for playing the drums. He won't be able to play songs like that when he sits behind a kit, but with a few months of practice, he has the potential to be a good drummer.

LOL @ step drum argument.
Personally I've always though those games are ridiculous, I tried playing guitar hero once and found it to be incredibly boring and dull, along with most of the music being horrible.

well if you check out the guys youtube profile, he's actually a real drummer for a metal band, and there's a few vids of him playing actual drums, so ye, that might answer a few of your questions :)

well if you check out the guys youtube profile, he's actually a real drummer for a metal band, and there's a few vids of him playing actual drums, so ye, that might answer a few of your questions :)

I looked at his profile only because he mentioned playing Everlong on his first video that my cousin showed me. I didn't stop to read his info though, I guess I should have. I didn't even think about it actually. That explains kind of a lot by his technique.

I'm guilty of the Rock Band Gateway Musician Syndrome, too. I played guitar for 25 years. But after hammering away at Rock Band drums, I was hooked enough to go get a basic kit and start playing. Still painfully new, but finally getting back into music after a bit of a break. See? Nothing good can come from it. Friends don't let friends Rock Band.

It is obvious that he is a drummer to begin with, His relaxed style and his sense of time give that away.

I tried Rockband for the first time last month, and could not... I mean COULD NOT play it on easy. Bumped it up to hard and I was able to finish a song.

It is a fun evening, but other than the basic motions of kick, hi hat and snare, its not really to transferable. My sister in law who can play everthing on hard on the drums could not hold a beat behind my practice kit. I then moved her to my ION by Alesis electronic kit/toy and she did better. It felt more normal to her.....

Yes, this is completely relevant.

Just an analogous retort.

I guess what I meant was, you can look good playing a video game, but I'm just not sure if they really prepare your for reality. Maybe this dude might be good on a kit, but you never know until you actually hear him.

Last edited:
No... I don't think playing Medal of Honor gets you ready for real combat...

to kind of spin this a little, from someone who has played and beat numerous medal of honor games and also been in real combat. what i learned in MoH in no way helped me in real combat, however what i learned from real combat helped me in MoH. but all combat games are flawed in that they don't capture the real essense of combat.

putting that to drums, i don't think playing rock band will make you a good drummer irl, but its a start. but playing drums irl helps you in rock band. i sat down a few months ago and played drums on rock band for the first time...ever. i don't remember what song i did but i put it on expert and finished with 92%. but playing in rock band is never going to give the feel or joy of playing either on a real set or in a real band.

hopefully that made some kind of sense for someone out there lol.

I hate when people post videos of them playing songs on rock band or guitar hero. Playing video games well isn't an accomplishment. People shouldn't have to say "dude, you should put some videos up of you playing REAL drums."
If I put a video on there I promise I'll either play real drums or real guitar, or perhaps combine both.

playing rock band drums prepares you in no way to play real drums. it may slightly increase your independence, but playing along to notes DDR style and actually controlling when the notes are played are two completely different things

i wouln't say "in no way". a couple of my friends who couldn't play my drums at all have gotten to the point where they can play a moderately ok beat on my drum kit just from all their experience with rock band.

I think the game can help develop limb independence and sense of timing. I don't think it compares equally to real drums, but I do think it would make a good springboard.

I've had a discussion with guys in my band (i'm the oldest by far) about the current generation of teens and tweeners entering a new renaissance (pardon the spelling) of guitar talent. When i was growing up, every tom, dick and harry down the block could shred on guitar because we were weened off of Eddie VanHalen, Randy Rhoads and other hair band rock gods and then graduated to rip off Vai, Satriani, Yngwie, Hetfield/ Hammett/ Mustaine/ Friedman etc etc (insert name of insanely talented guitar god here). Then grunge came and killed shredding and solos. Fast forward to the early 2000's and the shredders and other insanely talented guitar players started poking their heads up once more ala bands like Coheed'n'Cambria, Dragonforce, Opeth, BTBAM, Mars Volta, etc. But what is the biggest influence in the rebirth of popularity of shredder-type guitar playing? Guitar Hero. It's gotta be. The golden age of drummers is coming too. Drummers in the 80's and early 90's IMO raised the bar from the 60's and 70's. Today's crop of young drummers, armed with knowledge and technique accessible more than ever from sites like DW and youtube should raise the bar even more.

the way i figure it, at least rock band is creating interest in guitar playing and drumming among young people. it seems like the trend in pop music is go with %100 programmed instrument tracks, so anything to generate interest in actual instrument playing is helping to keep that alive.

Back